4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Price of Admission, but not for everyone, August 28, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Guild Wars 2 (Video Game)
My MMO history: WoW for 5 years, SWTOR for about 9-10 months, GW2 for 3 days.
I started playing GW2 Saturday night during pre-release. At this time I have only played one race and one profession: Sylvari Elementalist. I have her up to level 22.

I expect this MMO to do well for several reasons: 1) GW1 has been online for a while now, which makes me feel more confident in the ongoing care the developers will give GW2. 2) It's not a "grinder." 3) No monthly subscription fee.

I have not played arena PVP yet. I have played WvWvW once. It's a great idea, but I didn't have fun in it, despite everyone else's glowing reviews. Reasons being: 1) huge maps = lots of running around to find a fight, 2) my PC had performance issues when more than 25 people were on screen, effectively ruining the gameplay for me. I love PVP, so I will definitely be giving W3 several more chances.

My Likes:
- This is not a WoW clone like SWTOR was. Mind you I LOVE WoW and enjoyed SWTOR, but when I buy a new game, I don't expect nor want it to be a clone of the last game I played. I am looking for a new experience, which GW2 has in spades.
- The achievement system offers XP in a way that equates it with daily quests in WoW. This is awesome because almost everything you do gives you XP or counts towards an achievement. The result is a sense that whatever you choose to do in your playtime truly will advance your character. In my opinion, this is extremely refreshing after doing repetitive dailies in WoW for so long.
- The Dynamic Events and Area Quests lend to a feeling of openness of world and promote exploration. I haven't had a feeling like that since my first days of vanilla WoW.
- I've heard mixed reviews on the use of Waypoints instead of mounts/flight paths. I actually love the Waypoints. Does teleporting around ruin some of the immersion? Yes. You what else ruins immersion for me? Taking a 4 minute+ flight path. The Waypoints are many and often and have no cooldown. Personally, the use of Waypoints gives me more inclination to keep exploring, since I don't have to worry about how long it might take me to get back to my main quest.
- No load times. No travel times (flight paths). In WoW, I would browse the internet during flight paths. In SWTOR, I would browse during FP's and the frequent loading screens. So far in GW2, I haven't had one boring moment which inspired me to browse the internet.
- Simplified spell bar. At first I was stunned and upset that there are only 10 hot-keyed spells, but the more I play around, the more I realize that choosing your weapons, active spells, and (in the case of an Elementalist) stance gives you a lot of personalized control over your play style.
- No mana/rage/energy management. No holy trinity. This is just so different that I find it intriguing. I can't say more until I get higher level.
- No ninja's. If you help with the kill, you get XP and loot rights. Gathering resources are available for all, so you're not constantly feeling the need to rush to resources when spotted. Having many other players in your questing area is always a good thing and never upsets your personal experience.
- No opposing factions on server. I can talk to anyone I want and don't need to worry that my friends or family chose Allies over Horde, Imperial over Republic, etc.
- No monthly fee and no endgame raiding gives me an incentive to play at my own pace. It's nice to be reminded that MMO's should be fun, and not just a rush to endgame so you can be the first on server to down a boss or clear a dungeon. I've been through all that. It was fun for a time, but it was also WORK and very time consuming.
- You can dye your gear at any time, for no charge.

My Dislikes:
- You cannot have characters on multiple servers.
o I don't expect this to be changed/fixed.
- The movement could be smoother. I can't put my finger on it, but the movement seems less accurate in this game than in WOW or SWTOR. I find myself headed the wrong direction more often than I ever did in other games. Already I am getting accustomed to the movement and don't find it such a hindrance anymore, but still, it could use improvement.
o I don't expect this to be changed/fixed.
- Grouping with friends isn't a fun experience. My husband and I attempted to play this game in a group, but gave up after about 10 levels. Because of the overflow instancing that is being used right now, we were often in different instances and therefore could not quest together. Also, there is no auto-follow and the dot that represents your party members on the mini-map and map are hard to see. Not being able to effectively group didn't ruin our gaming experience, but did squash our idea of calling our playtime "quality time together" LOL. Now, if we weren't in the same room playing, but instead across the state or across the country from each other, this would have been a much bigger gripe for me.
o I do expect this to be changed/fixed.
- Only 5 default character slots, but 8 total professions!
o I understand that at some point I will be able to purchase additional slots, either through real money or in-game currency.

It's almost like the devs for this game really considered the most common BIG gripes in MMO's and took measures to correct those situations. GW2 fixed the below issues:
1. It takes too long to grind gear. If I don't have 10+ hours a week to play, I will never be on par with the more hardcore gamers and their gear.
a. All players are equalized in PVP so it is more skill based than gear based.
2. Other players ruin my experience by tagging all the mobs, stealing loot, or ganking me when I am questing.
a. No opposing factions. Equalized levels depending on the questing area. Shared kill credit and loot availability.
3. I'm tired of always dragging a tank or healer for my group.
a. GW2 removes the holy trinity (tank, heal, dps) and replaces it with professions that all have their own ability to do some tanking, healing, or dps.
4. I don't like paying a monthly fee.
a. No problem - FREE TO PLAY!
5. I want to play with my friend, regardless of level, story/quest progression, or faction.
a. Can do! Players are automatically leveled down to the appropriate level for the area they are in. Quests are dynamic events so you can almost always bet you will be on the same step of the quest. There are no warring factions on server.
6. There is no incentive to visit or revisit low level quest areas, effectively quarantining endgame to max level areas.
a. Because of the leveling down I explained above, one could quest in low level areas and still get rewards and a challenging experience. In fact, you will need to do this in order to reach appropriate levels to complete your class quests.

**UPDATE**
The "join" group feature is now working as expected and we have been able to successfully group as needed!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 2:38:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 7:25:21 AM PDT
Dshoayo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 8:30:07 AM PDT
C. Counts says:
OK, so in your opinion any review under 5 stars should be trolled. As you wish - if you have the time and energy.

I stand by my comment regarding having characters on multiple servers. If you would have taken my statement at face value as opposed to attempting to read more meaning into it, I think you might have understood. My dislike is that I cannot have multiple, different characters on more than one server. Notice that my section was called "MY DISLIKES" and not "THINGS THAT ARE WRONG WITH THE GAME".

Is your comment on movement just a comment, or are you attempting to argue with my opinion? Your combative tone gives me reason to believe the latter.

All your other notes on gameplay seem misplaced in the comments of my review. I would assume to you are trying to speak to my review, but I don't see how they relate.

Note that if you truly wish to promote the game you should express your opinions without the dismissive tone and aggressiveness. It puts people instantly on the defensive and devalues your opinions in the mind of others. Nothing personal, just a note on the most effective way to evangelize your opinion.

So you agree with me on the overflow system, but still feel the need to attempt to degrade me. Uhhh... OK. Please, do tell me how to fix the problem? I never saw anyone in general chat offer any solutions. I didn't research this issue specifically, so I don't claim that there is no fix to be found. I did mention in my review that this is something I expect to be fixed. I believe that it is an important bug for people to know about. If they plan on playing with friends or family, it's possibly in their best interest to wait until the issue is corrected.

I do not grade MMO's based on a WOW scale, so to speak. I played WOW for a long time and a lot of other gamers have as well, so it is usually an easy way for me to describe what I see in comparative terms. And on another note - I saw you berate some reviewer for using WOW terms to describe GW2. I think that is so silly!! In my case, I have had GW2 for days compared to years of WOW. Because I haven't learned/remember all the specific terms yet doesn't mean my opinion is invalid.

My dislikes aren't really the cause for the less than perfect 5 star review. The reason I didn't give this game 5 stars, is because it is not perfect. If I gave it 5 stars that would be like saying that no improvements could be made to the game. Maybe you don't clearly understand the purpose and spirit of ratings.

Do you really propose that someone would buy a game that is not WOW and then review it poorly because it is not WOW? I find this ever so slightly mind blowing. I mean, I know there are plenty of fanboys who review like that (looking at you, homie), but I felt that my review was objective enough to not draw their derision.

"At some point" because I just started the game and don't have the means to purchase the additional slots.

"and for a no sub fee game, to charge ingame or real currency for a 6th character slot is a "dislike" for you???"
Yes, it's a dislike. And here I was beginning to think your reading comprehension might be less than par. It's fair to charge for more slots when you consider the F2P, but my review didn't speak to fairness.

One last thought - people can impose a lot of inflection onto words written by others - inflections that may or may not have been intended by the author. Try to read things in an objective manner. OR, and stay with me on this one, even read with a smile. You may find that the perceived attitudes or tones of the stuff you read changes. My point in bring this up is that you somehow made my review seem negative, when in fact, it was glowing. I've been playing nearly non-stop (of course, one does need to work, sleep, and eat, to my dismay).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 11:17:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 29, 2012 11:39:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 2:42:50 PM PDT
Dshoayo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 2:57:18 PM PDT
C. Counts says:
My time and inspiration are running low at this hour, so I will just say, thank you for your passionate response (although your comments lead me to believe you didn't completely read or understand my response).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 10:51:26 AM PDT
rivenlogik says:
I think this was a very helpful review since I have the same experience with MMOs. Enough so that I plan to buy it to try it out. Ignore the loser troll.. sad that he cares that much to comment.

Thanks for the review!

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 2:11:46 PM PDT
Marcus says:
Good review overall. Just to add, reason for the decision to make it so people can't make multiple characters in each server is because of the on-going WvWvW. People would just switch constantly to the winning team, this way, when you pick a home world, you really are representing that 'home server'. You probably know by now too but there is that 'join in' option for every friend/party/guild member that allows you to instantly jump to their pvp game or overflow server to play with. Anet is suppose to be working on parties stay together through load screens etc but for now the join-in system is flawless.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 11:36:12 AM PDT
Darren Cheng says:
I just want to add a few things, mainly reasons, for your negative points.

I'm not too sure about the movement, from my point of view it just sort of seems that the movement in gw2 feels really slow. It's actually very smooth but just feels slow.

Cross server allows abusing of the WvW and it is not needed. Arenanet has stated that they are implementing a 'guesting' feature where you or your friends from different servers can join another server by being a guest, you can do all the PvE events but not PvP.

Grouping is rather easy, you party with them and if you are in different overflow but on the same zone, you can right click on their portrait and click join and you will enter the same overflow as them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 2:46:24 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 3:46:33 PM PDT
Marcus says:
This is so false. I have seen elementalists and unless you are playing to the TOP of your game and think of your every move, you will die from everything. They have a huge learning curve and take a enormous amount of skill to be viable. I have not yet been beat by a elementalist except one who completely destroyed me with work i never would of thought of.

Maybe you're thinking of the guardian? Either way, you haven't played the game, so apparent.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (591 customer reviews)

$39.99 $25.87