Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Was it broke?? UPDATE2, July 22, 2011
...cause I see no reason why they tried to fix it!

If you are familiar with the old Mush Tevas, and you are used to their sizing, be aware that the 2011 Mushes are narrower and smaller.

This has been confirmed in numerous Amazon and in-person reviews of the Mush style, in addition to observing the differences by looking at the photos posted in these listings, as well as in my own in-hand/on-foot experience.

The old Mush sandals were wider and had a more "squared" footbed. The new Mushes are narrower, with a more contoured footbed. Look at and compare the photos of the undersides of these shoes for comparison: this Mush Print, the Mush Adapto, and the Mush II, versus last year's Mush - besides the difference in the sole, you can tell it's the old model because most of the colors are sold out :(

If you own Mushes already, heed this caution: I purchased this year's Mush and was dismayed to find that my usual size does not fit and I believe a larger size will not remedy this, as there is much more toe real estate than before and a larger size will probably increase this, leaving a lot of empty space at the top of the shoe, which looks bad.

If you are new to Mush, know that for me, they have historically been an extremely comfortable and durable shoe (I own over a dozen pairs). Try them out, if you have very narrow feet, this new model might allow you to enjoy my previous "fix".

UPDATE July 2011: After getting a tip from another reviewer, I called Teva about the new Mush style and was told that "a lot of people" had the same complaint and Spring 2012 will see the arrival of the "Original Mush". While I was on with them, I also requested new colors, including new sole colors. I have an old brown pair that are awesome and haven't seen that since. So, if you have a wider foot, or just liked the old Mushes, be on the lookout in "March or April" 2012 for the return of the "Original Mush"!

UPDATE2 Sept 2011: I called Teva again today, and was told by a super-friendly operator, that the Original Mush will return in Nov 2011! That's like 6-weeks away! Yay! I asked about new colors, etc. and she said new stuff usually comes out in the Spring, but to check the website, anyway. Woo-Hoo!

I rely on reviews here at Amazon to help me make informed buying choices. I hope this review has helped you in the same manner. If you voted this as helpful, I Thank You! :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2011 8:29:12 PM PDT
Jenny M. says:
I was SO bummed when I read your review. I went to Teva's website and it turns out, a lot of people have been complaining. So much so, that they are bringing back the old style in Spring 2012!! : ) Just thought you might like to know!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011 9:07:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2011 5:18:44 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
Jenny M. - AWESOME!!! Thanks for letting me know! I've been going crazy trying to find last year's model! Woo-Hoo!

UPDATE: I called and Teva confirmed this. Spring 2012 will see the arrival of the "Original Mush". While I was on with them, I also requested new colors, including new sole colors. We'll see!

maria

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 12:41:14 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
Jenny M. - Just wanted to let you know...I called Teva again today, and was told by a super-friendly operator, that the Original Mush will return in Nov 2011! That's like 6-weeks away! Yay! I asked about new colors, etc. and she said new stuff usually comes out in the Spring, but to check the website, anyway. Woo-Hoo!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 11:40:18 AM PST
Marigold says:
Great research; thanks! How can we tell if the Tevas are *original * or not? I, too, had noticed a serious drop in quality with Tevas....especially the support....they just weren't giving it anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 2:21:04 PM PST
MariaSmiles says:
BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS - thanks for reading my review and for the compliment! So sorry for the delay in replying. The way I tell is mainly by flipping it over and looking at the sole. The original had a less "curvaceous" "footprint", while the new ones are much slimmer in that area. It is apparent, if you compare new and original soles in the Amazon images. Once you can spot the difference in a comparison, you should be able to spot it when looking at just one sole, like in a shoe store.

I believe there are other noticeable differences, such as the heel logo (and possibly, footbed texture and even strap design), but all I really care about is the "footprint" and I find that is the best way to determine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 6:08:45 PM PST
Marigold says:
Thanks again! I have actually since my earlier post gone to the TEVA website and ordered several of what they call the *Original* Teva and yes, you are correct: they are constructed differently and it is most noticeable along the sole. Once you put one of the Originals on, you can immediately tell they difference.
Oh Happy Day!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 2:15:43 PM PDT
Wendy says:
Maria, do you know if Teva will continue to make the original Mush flip flops? I noticed they are only selling the black ones now. :-( Sure would like to get come new ones in different colors.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 1:56:28 PM PST
MariaSmiles says:
Wendy - you may have already seen this, but Teva is selling Original Mushes on their site, in a variety of colors and sizes. Many of the same colors as they originally debuted in, actually. There are currently two colors on Amazon, in the "Original Mush". Reviews report that the sizing is a bit smaller than the REAL original mush, but that the sole shape is more akin to Mush's original form. The sole looks considerably thicker in height to me, but I have only seen photos and have not compared in person. Regardless, glad to have the original mush back (although, I did buy up as many as I could still find in 2011!)

Just in time for sandal season!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 1:57:22 PM PST
MariaSmiles says:
BUXUS - thanks for the update! And, yes, original mushes = oh happy day!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 9:29:27 AM PST
Wendy says:
Thanks Maria!
I bought the newer ones that are narrower last year and found that they were okay but not as nice as the original Mush. Look forward to getting back into those! I'll take a look on the Amazon site.
Thank you for keeping me posted!
Wendy