2.0 out of 5 stars Black Ooooops: The Great Black Hype, November 10, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
DO NOT be FOOLED by the pretty pictures of the game. I am talking ONLY of the online mode. The game stutters and the graphics are not sharp. The framerate suffers horribly online and makes my eyes teary after just a couple of matches. I REALLY wanted to like this game but when I play it, it makes me want to play MW2. It reminds me of FPS's that came out about a decade ago.

I know that Modern Warfare 2 has its fare share of glitches and annoyances but most of those are very forgivable compared the problems that Black Ops suffers from. Once again, I am talking of the online mode ONLY.

The economy system(buying upgrades) and customizations are good ideas. They could have worked if the guns and customizations looked cool but they look outdated and cheesy. The maps have too many closed spaces and feel claustrophibic.

This is definitely NOT a step forward. Cool ideas + many customizations + last gen graphics + lag + low framerates + stuffy maps = LAME(not an acronym for something cool). TRY your friend's Black Ops before you buy. Now I'm off to Craigslist.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2010 1:38:17 AM PST
Kevin Fox says:
What platform are you using where you're experiencing stuttering? XBox? PS3? Wii? PC?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 5:45:57 AM PST
Sars says:
hes not using the ps3 because i played for 3 hours and one of the first things i noticed was how good the graphics are

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 5:51:22 AM PST
This is a review under the PS3 version, so I imagine he's playing on PS3. I share the same gripe as far as the lower framerate during online mode. Though I have no idea what he's talking about with his other complaints.. Stuffy maps? I've played only enough to rank up to about a 15 and I'm not sure I've been able to play on every map yet, but so far the smallest map I've played is Nuketown. It's medium size in comparison to CoD4 and MW2 maps. Some maps don't have wide open areas that snipers love, but nothing I would consider "claustrophobic".

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:03:23 AM PST
ickytips says:
so true! i get that "stuffy" feeling as well; and the weapons look like they were drawn for a comic book. and yes, it reminds me of Doom, just a bit cleaner. back to MW2 i go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 6:11:04 AM PST
B. Marcuson says:
I started playing it, and found the same thing. I found that everything looked very weird. I went to my settings and checked my video ouput, and it was set to 480p. WTF? I set it back to 1080p and it looks good now. Not sure how/why it switched?

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 2:13:46 PM PST
Lazarus says:
Sorry Kevin, I am on the PS3 version which is why I reviewed the PS3 version ;) I actually wanted to give the game three stars, but I wanted to balance out all the five star reviews, which I honestly think that this hyped up game DOES NOT deserve. As far as the maps being "claustrophobic", it seemed like they tried hard to put corridor-like spaces everywhere. Treyarch's World at War had far better maps, IMO.

I just rechecked my video output during game-play and it's definitely at 1080p and it still looks outdated (to me).

I tried the game for a couple more days after this review to see if my mind would changed, but it didn't. FWIW, I think it's great that some people like it, so those people didn't waste their money. Lesson learned. I'm not buying a game until it's been reviewed thoroughly by PLAYERS.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 6:44:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2010 6:48:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 6:48:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 6:55:38 AM PST
C. Johnson says:
I rented the PS3 version and I too experience the lagging and stuttering, I tried online for a couple days, then I just gave up in trying to play it. All of the improvements to online play (and there are many) is ruined by the lag. I ended up playing Combat Training instead which is fun even if its just against the computer but at least there is no excessive lag. However even on Combat training, the game lags a bit, but nothing like it does online playing against other people.

Yep! the graphics a big step back from MW2 and other current gen titles, when I first popped this in I wondered if something with wrong with my TV, then I come online and see others noticed the same thing. Sound is downgraded as well in some areas, especially how every explosive device sounds exactly the same. But my main complaint is the lag, I think if the online game play was good I wouldn't mind the downgraded graphics as much.

Single player though, is very fun to me, at first it looked like it would just end up being another MW2 with endless enemy spawns on every single mission, but when I got to the Vietnam missions it started getting VERY fun. its too bad I had to take it back today because I was really starting to get into it.

I may get it eventually, but since I already see I won't be playing this laggy game online, there is no way I will pay $60 for it.

"Lesson learned. I'm not buying a game until it's been reviewed thoroughly by PLAYERS." -- Agree with this 100%; last time I made that mistake was with GTAIV. These days I NEVER buy a game on release day or even in the first few weeks unless I get some good non fanboy reviews pointing out all the pluses and minuses.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (1,295 customer reviews)

$49.99 $24.50