4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice sleeve, but not quite perfect..., October 6, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Zip Sleeve, Charcoal (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, and Kindle Touch) (Accessory)
Everyone's taste in Kindle protection is different and we are all looking for different things and perceive a different value in terms of product cost vs. features. This Kindle cover has several nice attributes, but does lack a few key features I find important (plus a bit of an extra I could do without).

One thing about Kindle covers is that they boil down to two design types--the sleeve and the 'book style' covers. Many people like the protection and feel of the book type cover, plus some function as easels or stands. However, I am in the camp where I just prefer holding a 'naked' Kindle while reading. For people like me, the sleeve style is the way to go.

One positive note, well it is AVAILABLE. I think Amazon does get a bit of a bonus when putting out new products-they have the accessories ready to go. Granted it's not as bad as when K3/Keyboard came out and a lot of vendors were apparently left flat footed and with tons of inventory and no new product. I was sure a new Kindle was coming out this time when several sellers were suddenly slashing prices on their covers! This time around there are also several other alternatives available, but not a whole lot, so again, this one is at least AVAILABLE.

This sleeve is very lightweight--this is both a positive and a negative depending on your use patterns. Part of the appeal of the sleeve is to maintain the sleek nature of my Kindle. A heavy or bulky sleeve detracts from this while most likely offering more protection. This product is light and low profile-- and though there is padding, it is more of a 'keep it safe in a small purse' type. I would NOT feel comfortable using this sleeve in a rougher environment (like my children's backpacks--or even mine). There is minimal rigidity to the design and the padding is fairly thin--it will protect the screen, but I'm not sure how well the whole Kindle would stand up to heavier impact. Again, great for some use patterns, not so great for others.

The zipper--positive or negative depending on your point of view. I like zippers in many places, I'm just not wild about them near my Kindle screen as I am a bit of a klutz. Some designers put a protective fold or flap the keep the zipper away from the actual holding compartment. Not a huge thing, but I don't like the potential for direct contact between the Kindle and the zipper.

The materials-hmmm. Not a nice way to say this, but there is a fairly strong chemical odor when the package is first opened. After a couple days this is resolving but I can still smell it while holding it right up to my nose. A bit of a turn off and sensitive noses and airways may not enjoy this!

The materials again--the fabric is a little rough and pebbly and two tone (grey/black for one and two shades of blue for the other)--my sons like the look, but I don't find that appealing and I suspect that it will 'pill' after awhile. The household Y chromosomes disagree with me (well, not about the 'pill' part, they have no idea what I'm talking about--one of my parenting failures as I have not taught them this apparently), but they love the way the covers look.

The little (presumably) faux leather band is not sewn all the way down--which is nice because you can slip your hand through it and use it to carry or as an attachment site. I like this.

The construction itself is very well done in terms of assembly. A very clean, tidy and quality look.

Overall, I give this 4 stars as. I have seen other designs that are able to maintain the sleek profile but use a more rigid material for better impact protection, which I prefer. I'm a little leery of the zipper design and I'm not a big fan of the material used. However, there are plenty of nice features too, and it all boils down to personal taste and overall it is a nice, quality, sleeve.

Recommended, just not for me (but these are for my kids and they love them).

JTG

EDITED 11/17/11 (at least in my time zone..). Now my boys have been using this sleeve for over a month now and I wanted to add a couple comments. On the plus side the chemical odor did fade away completely--no issue in my family, but it was bad enough that I think someone with reactive airways or a strong nose could really find it bothersome. No 'pilling' or zipper issues yet, but the way the zipper goes around there was one case of the Kindle falling out and hitting the tile floor when my youngest thought it was closed all the way. Obviously user error (the Kindle was fine thankfully!) but design-wise that may be an issue for someone.

This is working out fine for my kiddos...at this point I'd be giving a 4.5 stars if I could!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2011 3:28:43 PM PDT
Ed says:
Agreed on the zipper comment. Wouldn't have one.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 7:32:15 AM PDT
If I put on the Kindle touch together with Amazon's Kindle Touch Lighted Leaver Cover, would it fit just right and not too tight using this Amazon's Kindle sleeve? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 8:54:45 AM PDT
I don't know, I don't have the covers, just these sleeves and the available basic/non-touch Kindle.

I'm inclined to think not however.

The sleeves are pretty low profile, just a matter of a few extra fractions of inches/millimeters for length and width-- I THINK just enough to accommodate the slightly larger Touch version coming out. Also there is not a lot of play on the thickness...I'm pretty sure the Touch will just fit it perfectly without a cover, if I am judging correctly.

If you are looking for a pouch/sleeve to cover the Kindle already fitted into the cover I think the Timbuk2 sleeves might fit both (I don't own one so I'm not sure). The verabradley-dot-com site has an e-reader cover that would hold a Kindle in a cover--it fits my KKeyboard sitting in an Octovo sleeve with a bit of room left over. Some Amazon vendors sell these. They are girlie however.

Amazon is pretty good about returns--if you buy one and don't like it the return policy is pretty generous.

JTG

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 8:49:42 PM PDT
Dano says:
That was an amazingly informative review!

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:43:37 PM PST
Coffeecat says:
You mentioned that you've seen cases that are also slim but provide better impact protection - do you have any examples?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 10:04:31 PM PST
My all time favorite sleeve is the OCTOVO PU Sleeve Case for Kindle (Fits Kindle Keyboard) - Cool Grey. Unfortunately, the company has not yet made a similar sleeve for the smaller Kindles--if the K3 was any indication it will be a few more months.

If you have a higher budget and like a beautiful leather type sleeve look for Oberon Design covers (they have their own site). They have sleeves and book type covers, if you like their style and their customers are very happy with the protection/padding (I've never sprung for one myself, but I have 'internet buddies' who like these).

M-Edge and Timbuk2 have some but they don't look quite like what I'm after--though the Timbuk2 Kindle and Kindle Touch SLIM SLEEVE, Black/Gunmetal seems close.

With my K2 and my K3 I spent WAY too much money on sleeves including a couple off etsy. Nothing ever did better for me than the Octovo, so right now my boys are happy with this one so no need to buy the others just yet. Eventually I will probably get the Kindle Basic or Kindle Touch for myself and hopefully Octovo (or someone) will have that sleeve made. Otherwise I'll probably try the timbuk2 slim sleeve.

This sleeve has made my sons very happy, just not me. I'd be giving a 4.5 stars now. The icky chemical odor did indeed fade but I'm sure some people with reactive airways or strong noses would really not like it. In fact, I think I'll add an edit--thanks for the reminder!

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:49:42 PM PST
Samuel Brown says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 11:29:07 AM PST
Mike Lip says:
Wow, dude... it's NOT a book cover. It's a protective sleeve for a $100+ piece of electronic equipment.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 9:26:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2012 1:11:00 AM PST
Tourguy says:
Thank you so very much for mentioning the zipper issue, so we know this product is rather on the cheap side without paying attention to details and quality.

I have Belkin Vue Kindle Sleeve for my Kindle keyboard. Belkin Vue Kindle Sleeve (Fits Kindle Keyboard), Black/White It's got a soft padding rim next to each side of the zipper, so when I close the zipper, both padded rims tightly "glued" together to form a soft padding, so my Kindle inside would never touch the zipper per se. I also think the zipper design to let the Kindle inside only slide or taken in/out from one side is an excellent design, too.

I love my Belkin and will definitely have much more faith in buying their quality products. Some one please post a product without the zipper issue if he/she finds one.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 5:31:23 AM PDT
muffiemae says:
I find these Kindle "accessories" very expensive, plus in the event I order one, I never know if I will like it or not. (I live out of the US, so shipping to me is expensive and possibility of returning is not feasible, cost-wise.) A friend has a leather Kindle cover with a light. I checked it out and I think it is WAY too heavy. I don't find any need to pay for an expensive light - if I am ever in a place where I need light to read my Kindle, such as on an unlighted bus at night, then I have an inexpensive light-weight headlight to use for reading. Then when I was in Paraguay recently, I found a beautiful zippered leather cover that fits my Kindle perfectly that will protect the Kindle while it's in my purse or traveling. Cost was equivalent of about $13.00. (I think it is meant for a bible cover, but it works fine for me for my Kindle.) So there are other options.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›