5.0 out of 5 stars It touched my soul!, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Consider the Conversation: A Documentary on a Taboo Subject (Personal Use) (DVD)
So I just watched a 60 minute documentary which left me weeping (in that good way) as well as re-evaluating every aspect of the manner in which I spend the currency of my life. That currency being time, not money.

I genuinely believe that every person over the age of 40 years old in America needs to see this piece. Why 40? Just my own instinct. Could you be 39 or 33 or 22? Yep.
Simply put, a HUGE THUMBS UP for CONSIDER THE CONVERSATION!

By now, if you hear that little voice inside your head right now saying, "Hmm, I wonder if I should check it out?" The answer is yes.

Be prepared to be terrified, illuminated, profoundly moved, confronted and warmly hugged all within an hour. Just knocked me off my feet!

The filmmaker is a teacher. A Teacher of the Year award winner in fact, class of 2007 from Wisconsin, and he's quite the remarkable guy. 6'5" former basketball player who now teaches 4th grade. Just seeing pics of him with the kids is enough to make you smile.

But he is beloved, he is phenomenally well-read and he's got a heart as big as any hunk of cheese in his state.

He also learned that he closest brother had terminal cancer the same day that HE met the President of the United States in the Oval Office of the White House.

Just remarkable. And that set him off on a journey exploring how we die (in lieu of the way modern medicine can keep us almost unnaturally alive in this day and age).

And how we die gets the ball rolling on where we'd like to die. And that gets the ball rolling on how we are truly one of the first generations to be so disconnected from death.

I mean we view death as a failure, as if it's a shortcoming of some sort instead of a natural part of life. And when you "consider the conversation" (great title, huh?), you can't help but reflect on how you are actually living.

What's important to you? Like truly important. Family. Work. Community. Spirituality. Meaning.

Probably, just hearing the subject matter makes you want to say, "Nah, thanks." But the piece is so tastefully done, so thoughtful in its manner and so insightful in its selection of people who appear throughout that I can promise it's gonna break through the ice of even the most emotionally frozen of us.

Trust me on this. How are you going to live? Like right now? Like going forward? What do you want to experience, who do you wish to be with, what do you hope to tackle and what is it time to let go of?

Amazing stuff is raised here and once your soul gets stirred like this, you WAKE!

I could not give it a higher endorsement.

[Add comment]