2.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, fatal weakness, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
I like everything about this watch ( thin, lightweight, easy to read ) but the knob catches on many items of clothing. This often pulls the knob out, which stops the watch, unbeknownst to its wearer. The result is you can't trust it to tell the time, which is a bad thing for a wristwatch. I have had it about 6 months, probably found that it had stopped 20 times or so. A few times I was aware of it, usually not. It has always been just the knob getting pulled out, presumably by clothing ( because I've seen it happen ).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2010 1:25:26 AM PST
Let me respectfully disagree with you. I have owned this watch for almost 3 years now and never, ever, it did what you say. I have worn all kinds of clothing including different winter jackets. Never had the kind of problem you describe. I just wanted to mention my experience with the watch.
By the way, the watch is awesome.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 8:38:58 AM PDT
Sun Man Chu says:
have a Seiko scba001, a similar model before the sgg711, and I encountered same problem as Mr Reid.

I like the watch so much due to its light weight and easy to read, I even send it back for repair but the problem persists.

I am hopeless in love with Seiko Military watch and I ordered a sgg711 from Amozon.ca in hope the same problem will not re-occur.

Would suggest the manufacturer to look into the problem and rectify the weakness

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 7:24:25 PM PDT
NVanHiker says:
I agree - this can happen on any watch where the crown is unprotected. And the flaw can indeed be 'fatal'. I was hiking in the late Fall and thought I had more daylight than I actually did because my watch had stopped due to this problem. From now on I will only buy a watch where the crown is protected from catching on anything. (Maybe Santa will bring me an Omega Seamaster!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 11:53:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 11:53:54 PM PDT
Sad thing is that even a $30 Timex Men's T20041 Easy Reader Brown Leather Watch doesn't have that problem. The crown sits lower than the edge of the case except in the back so you need to catch your finger nail on the crown at the back (opposite of the face). It won't catch on clothing. Not to mention is has the Indiglo backlight.

Crazy that a $125 watch is more problematic than a $30 watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 12:21:49 PM PST
Better be extra good if you want an Omega.

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 4:52:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2014 10:52:24 AM PDT
DR says:
I have not bought this watch yet but contemplating upon buying it seriously. I looked at the video at Amazon where the watch is shown rotating and could tell that there is a potential of crown being caught as there is space between the crown and body. Usually, in other watches the crown buries itself half way and locks into the chassis so that it cannot be pulled out accidentally. I have read similar comments like Mr. Reid's elsewhere too; his comments are from March 2010.

I might still order it hoping that Seiko has rectified the problem after all these comments. Does anyone know that the design of the watch has been 'corrected' by Seiko after the lapse of 4 years?

Best.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (151 customer reviews)

$375.00 $104.86