Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars The speed does not support the overpriced card., February 22, 2012
This review is from: 32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card (Video Game)
When I tested the 32gb vita memory card the speeds it was generating for reading was around 4mbps which is around a class 4 label in other SD/memory cards. The average price of a 32gb class 4 that I have seen is around 30-40 bucks. Therefore, I do not support this price gouging when they are forcing us to purchase proprietary memory cards. Really the 32gb should not have a price tag above 59.99.

Vita is reasonably priced but Sony dropped the ball with the memory card pricing. This is the biggest obstacle the Vita is facing right now and it is sad that it is entirely due to Sony's own bad decision.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 85 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:29:38 PM PDT
Hastor says:
Hard copies of things are usually better. I normally agree with that. I have over 200 Blu-rays in my collection because they have a higher data rate than streaming so they look/sound much better, and I don't have to worry about Netflix or whoever still owning the rights in 2 years. However, with a portable device, I like not having to keep up with easy-to-lose tiny game cards. I would hate having to swap out cards to change apps on my iPod Touch for example. With Vita, I have Uncharted on a card, so it doesn't tie up my memory card space. I probably won't buy another card based game until I am done with Uncharted and trade it in, because I don't want to carry them around. Leaving one in the system is fine. I would like some sort of hard copy that can be installed to my Vita, and not need the original to work, but that probably opens up piracy too easily. I have 4 Vita games right now, and am glad I'm not having to keep up with the cards. For home consoles, I will stick to hard copies as long as I can. I want to still be able to play my games in 20 years when PSN is no longer up to give me permission.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 9:47:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 9:48:28 PM PDT
GJ says:
I don't care about Sony making its money back or anything else. It's silly to expect consumers to "make up" the gap for them. Price things fairly for your business and your consumers. It's not that crazy of a concept. My job isn't to figure out how to please Sony profit margins and I'm not going to make excuses for them. The prices on these things are bad. There are other ways to manage this.

My problem with these cards is that they are essentially required. You need a memory card to do almost anything Sony is currently pushing about this system, which I find fairly disingenuous. Some executive at Sony was recently lamenting that "proprietary" has become a bad word when there are reasons for the Vita to use its own card system. OK, but you know, how about Sony admits they're the biggest reason proprietary is a bad word? Beta? ATRAC? Memory Sticks? UMDs? Constant, more expensive alternatives to things that no other company ever bothers to adopt.

So now after I've bought huge memory sticks that run at speeds equivalent to Sony's new cards for the Vita... I can't use those? Come on. If I get rid of my old PSP, I won't need those cards at all. It was bad enough I couldn't use my cheaper, faster SD Micro cards on the PSP... But now? Enough is enough.

I get worrying about piracy, but this punishes people who want to do things legally even more than it punishes pirates.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 5:04:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 18, 2012 6:03:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 12:43:36 PM PDT
sysgen says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 9:17:01 AM PDT
GAunderrated says:
If you don't know the real cost of the hardware, how can you say I am saving money on the vita? I am sorry but your logic doesn't really make sense since you gave no facts on anything you said. In my review I gave the speeds and comparable price to show why its overpriced. Please try and do the following if you are going to refute my review. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:21:28 AM PDT
Hastor says:
And then you say "do the following" and nothing is following that statement. What are we supposed to do? Do the following must be followed by instructions to make any sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 9:05:49 PM PDT
MakaiOokami says:
Well GAunderrated look at the price of a comparable product.

If you buy a Samsung Galaxy Note (5 inch device) you're getting a dual core processor instead of the quad core of the Vita, you're getting a 5' screen on both devices, you're getting hardware buttons a built in mic, a SIM card slot, a back touch screen on the VITA 512MB less RAM but you're also not doing as much multitasking and you get a pressure sensitive stylus.

Fact of the matter though is that ON CONTRACT the Galaxy Note is the same price as a Vita. So to say you're not getting a deal when the 2 things are fairly comparable just because we don't have a per dollar break down of every chip inside the vita is really just BS man.

They have to sell the cards over priced at first so that the companies have a guaranteed accessory to sell cause if you didn't know Wal-Mart and many other companies would refuse to sell the thing if it had a built in memory card, because if they were selling the cards at a fair and reasonable price, the margins would not only be a lot lower on it, but people wouldn't have any reason to buy physical copies from Wal-Mart because you save 10 percent on most of the games by buying a reasonable priced memory card.

The reason the memory cards are so dang expensive is because they have to for retail support and you can't hit critical mass without places like Wal-Mart. Heck Gamestop might not even carry the dang thing because if a 32GB card was 40 dollars how are they going to get people to buy physical games and encourage them to sell them back so they can make their margins.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:16:59 PM PDT
Does $100 for a 32GB card seem ridiculous? Yes, but you have to consider that they are probably losing money, and if not making an extremely small margin, on the Vita hardware right now. $250 for a system with all the features the Vita possesses?? That is a ridiculously good deal if you ask me, even though so many will compare it to the price of their smart phone that they bought under contract for $100 (You can't compare it to a device you purchase under contract, the retail value of the average smart phone is well over $500 right now, the only reason cell phones companies can afford to give it to us for $100 is because of the ridiculous amount of money they are making from our monthly plans). That said, Sony has to make money somewhere and though it may not look great at first glance, with just a little thought into "why?" it shouldn't take much deliberation to figure out that at a combined $350 you are still getting your money's worth for an amazing device with 32GB of media storage.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 11:25:32 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 7:44:01 AM PDT
Mark Twain says:
"No, you're wrong. It took over two years for the R4 (and other slot-1 flash cards) to come out. The DS was released in 2004, and the R4 was released in 2007. Hardly 'the day after it came out.'"

Nope. You are wrong, actually. He said "3DS," not "DS," silly goose.