2.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park - Meteora, December 25, 2003
This review is from: Meteora (Audio CD)
Okay, let me start by saying I listen to a lot (and I do mean a lot) of music, and this includes actual metal (as well as pretty much any other genre you can think of). I know people call this "rap-metal"; well, I hate that label and think it's a terrible way to classify anything. The word "metal" should not be anywhere in the classification of this CD; it's simply not metal, nor does it have any metal influences, period. (If you want metal go listen to Chimaira, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom or I recommend for people looking into this CD you check out Machine Head's new release if you want metal--this is a great CD and may be to some of your likings, though it is much harder than this.) Also, I have always remained steadfast in my disliking for Linkin Park and decided to listen to it all the way through many times only because it was on a list of top CDs of the year by someone with excelent taste. So I put aside my bias and swallowed my pride and decided to review it fairly, and here is my review:
I don't hate this album. There, I said it. I'd give it a 2.5 if they'd allow it. It's not awful, but it's certainly not great, and not even all that good. The songs tend to follow the same formula in one of two possibilites: either they try to be loud, or it's soft. There's not much variation between the two and the songs start to sound very similar after a while. There is definitely filler here, but more on that later. Let's break this down:
The good (or not-so-bad) about Meteora:
Okay, so, much to my horror, I found myself tapping my foot to some of the songs when they were playing. Some of the songs can be fairly catchy. Every once and a while, though few and far between, they seem to get loud and aggressive (for real though, not their half-hearted attempt as usual), and this can keep my interest. When the lead singer decides to scream (rarely), it keeps my attention even though his scream is fairly weak compared to any hardcore/metal scream. They do some soft stuff that I actually kind of liked: "Hit the Floor" took me off-guard, and is a nice little break on this album, and quite good. Shows some real emotion. "Breaking the Habit" is somewhat less impressive, but okay. Some of the songs that may get you tapping your foot and are okay include "Don't Stay," "Somewhere I Belong," and "Numb." "Easier to Run" also shows a little more maturity on the lyrical side and mixes some nice choruses (with an orchestra behind it...what?) with some more heart-felt emotion. An all right song.
The bad:
Songs are formulaic. Period. There are no great solos to be found here; no impressive riffs; just power chords used in an unimpressive matter. The music to the louder songs all sounds the same after a few listens. "Nobody's Listening" is an absolute disgrace. How this song is on this CD is beyond me: it is awful and is a humiliation to rap and metal and every genre inbetween. "Session" is a very below-par instrumental track that serves little purpose to setting mood and certainly doesn't impress with any sort of musical talent. Filler. Brings it down. Really, the biggest problem is the songs sound too similar and they grow old fast. Also, we're not breaking any grounds lyrically here; this is fairly poor song-writing (this is no At the Drive-In folks). Only the songs listed above deserve more than a couple listen and even they grow old too fast. Formulaic music with vocals that don't impress isn't a good combo. I wish the lead singer would decide whether he's angry (and scream) or not (and sing) instead of his inbetween which rarely seems to work (Cedric Bixler is one exception). So let's recap: the music all sounds the same after a few listens; not very impressive vocals; too much filler; and nothing impressive musically.
This CD gets old way too fast. There are some songs here you may listen to for a while, but this will end up gathering dust...it just isn't impressive.
You may like this if you enjoy listening to pop-radio stations, but know the songs you hear there are probably their best, most-catchy. Don't expect much more. HOWEVER, don't even CONSIDER buying this album unless you already own Rage Against the Machine's live at Olympic Stadium CD. That is a far superior "rap metal" CD. Buying this before that is a terrible decision. This is just not impressive. Sorry kids. Go listen to Boy Hits Car, or something that isn't boring.
Overall rating: 42/100 (I recommend you check out Story of the Year instead.)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]