3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition sloppily formatted, November 22, 2008
This review is from: The Winds of War (Kindle Edition)
I was thrilled to find The Winds of War on Kindle just days after I'd been thinking I'd love to reread it -- there's nothing better than reading a really long book on a Kindle, for weight reasons alone.

But the formatting seems to have been done either in haste or with no oversight whatsoever -- it's full of typos, missing letters and even the occasional missing phrase or sentence.

Herman Wouk deserves better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2009 12:43:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2009 12:45:31 PM PST
J. Wheeler says:
I completely agree - there always seem to be a few formatting issues with Kindle books but this is truly the worst. It totally impeded my enjoyment of the book. I have read Winds Of War multiple times and thank goodness! If it was my first encounter with it I would have been even more frustrated. Also, this is a Kindle edition - I expected better from Amazon's own digital work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 8:49:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 8:50:05 PM PST
pjf says:
Amazon is only the agent for the publisher. The publisher is responsible for the text of the ebook, and for charging a premium price for this sloppy effort.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 4:45:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 4:47:39 PM PST
Jay says:
The formatting seems okay today, January 25, 2012. There are a few places where you see n-dashes between syllables of words that must have been split on the printed page, and it says "Bearl Barbor" in one subhead late in the book where it should say "Pearl Harbor," but other than that, the Henry saga on Kindle has been smooth sailing.

Or maybe I'm just less finicky. But since I'm an ex-copy editor, that's doubtful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 11:14:44 AM PDT
Judy R says:
Thanks for your review. I first read Winds of War in 1972 and was considering a second go. Was nearly dissuaded from Kindle version until I read your post. Now I think I'll Just Do it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 12:34:00 AM PDT
I agree that the formatting -- as it is in 2012 -- is fine. And nobody has ever accused me of not being finicky! It must have gotten a fix-up somewhere a long the way.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 9:45:41 PM PDT
Thank you so much to all for warning us -- instead of purchasing this for my Kindle, I will purchase the big fat book. This is a small sacrifice to ensure enjoyment of a modern classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2014 12:05:20 PM PST
Ms Carolyn says:
I think that there are numerous typos that may slip by because the words are legit, they're just the wrong words. Or the spelling of a name may be accurate, but it's the wrong name. The main reason I found the typos in the Kindle version so jarring (and so numerous!) is that I read the book originally in hardcover, and remember what the actual words used were. And "Bearl Barbor" was simply unforgivable!

An author such as Herman Wouk chooses his words with great care. I think that those reproducing those words for others owe it to the author to do it with accuracy.

Posted on May 1, 2014 3:27:16 PM PDT
Dorothy L. says:
This author is a chauvinist, all the female characters are whiny, unethical, over sexed and immature.  I would never read another of his novels.  To be fair I learned so much about WWII, more than any other source.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›