Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly dissapointing book., March 31, 2011
This review is from: Be a Dividend Millionaire: A Proven, Low-Risk Approach That Will Generate Income for the Long Term (Hardcover)
To be fair to Paul Rubillo, I am a subscriber to his website Dividen.com. As a dividend investor, his website provides useful information when I am buying dividend stocks. That disclosure aside, "Be a Dividend Millionaire" was absolutely useless for a dividend investor.
The first 35 pages of the book was wasted on information telling the reader how to save money on household expenses. The same type of information that can be obtained from the financial section of any newspaper.
After the "Larry Winget" section, I kept reading fully expection to have an "AHA" moment. One or two tidbits of information that would add to my knowledge of dividend investing. To my dismay, what I read in "Dividend Millionaire" was a vague generalization of investing. The only chapter that specifically focused on dividend investing, chapter 7, had but a scant 10 pages about divideds. Following that information was a list of companies called Dividend Increasers, compiled in December 31, 2009. One would think Mr. Rubillo would add information that was not 15 month old. I was not expecting the magic formula for instant wealth, just perhaps something new to add to my knowledge base, sadly I found nothing.
In all candor, "Be a Dividend Millionaire", is not a book I would recommend to either a novice or veteran dividend investor. It is somewhat anecdotal and barely skims the surface of divided investing. It is the only book I have returned to Amazon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2011 10:31:38 AM PDT
MJS says:
The intent of the book was to keep it at the macro level and very simple so people new to investing aren't scared off. There are some great golden nuggets in there for advanced investors so everyone has something to learn from it. Think about the actual title of the book - 'Be a Dividend Millionaire'. How many advanced investors don't already know about the power dividends have in a portfolio?

Rate the book on whether or not it met its purpose, and this book does. It is below my level of investing knowledge by a decade and a half, but I read and rated the book based on: intent, did it deliver, was it readable to the targeted level audience, was it informative, does it serve as a spring-board for additional research for newer investors? Answer on all was yes. Even if I had learned nothing or if I had not been reminded about some of the things that I neglect doing, the book is still a 5 star book.

The basic investing parts of the book that you do not like are critical to being successful in the world of investing. If you do not have a handle on your own expenses how much harder does that make it to accumulate wealth?

If I were you, I would suggest reading it again from a different perspective and then hand it off to someone that does not understand investing but wants to learn more.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 11:30:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 7:40:32 PM PDT
Hi William. I am extremely sorry you found nothing you liked in the book. Some of the data you referred to had been compiled early in the process. I can tell you that this was my first book and the process from signing a book deal to editing to actual publication takes quite a while. The book was geared to get people started in dividend investing, and provide a well-rounded education on what it takes to be a successful investor, from start to finish. Quick question I have for you, what do you think I missed in the book that you were looking for?

As an already sophisticated and experienced investor, maybe the book wasn't a great fit for you. I'm disappointed the book missed the mark for you in that respect, but I truly believe it's is a must-read for many everyday investors.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›