Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, one massive glitch, found a fix for it, wanted to share., July 24, 2010
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
As with many people, I found this game to be wonderful, magical, fun, clever, and satisfying. And I am a grownup. Go figure. I have enjoyed the other Lego games and thanks to the dedication to the source material, this game really clicked with me.

But since I have little to say that hasn't already been said by many other glowing reviews, I wanted to offer something that might be helpful to other gamers, a tip that I myself was unable to find on the forums and therefore wanted to share the fix. I am sure I am not the only person who ran into this particular glitch, so here it is.

I am sandbox play person, someone who loves to systematically explore everything before moving on to another level, and when I began running through Hogwarts during the first level or two, I smashed and charmed everything I could find and somehow managed to enter a courtyard I may not have been expected to enter at that stage of the game. This didn't cause any problems until after I left Snape's potion lab and discovered that every time I followed the ghost's directions to get outside to what would eventually be the greenhouse area, the game would freeze up when I entered the aforementioned courtyard. EVERY time.

I tried cleaning the disk, and even tried another disk of the game, and it froze every time and broke my heart. I searched forums and while many glitches were reported and even a few suggestions, I found no description of that particular glitch, and wondered if there was something wrong with my Wii, such as limited memory or something.

This is what I stumbled upon: I erased the saved game and started fresh, which was a bit tedious considering you don't get to skip the animation sequences. This time around, instead of running amuck and exploring everything, I followed the ghosts' directions and went where the game wanted me to go. Needless to say, the levels played very quickly, but suddenly I found myself past the freezing glitch and into many more levels. After I had completed those levels, I copied the saved game file to my SD card for safekeeping, as I knew that save was a good one, and could go back into the game and free play and explore to my heart's content. And if I find another freeze glitch, I can copy the saved game file from the SD card back onto the Wii itself and continue from that point.

Bottom line: the game design somehow made it so that you might inadvertently get ahead of the game's intentions by exploring too much, and if that happens, the game gets confused when it finds you had already done something it wasn't expecting you to have done yet, and it freezes. The best way to avoid this is to go where the game tells you to, THEN free play later and explore.

Yes, this was very frustrating for me to figure out, and certainly could have been avoidable by the game designers. However, the overall pleasure I got from the game compensates for the issue, and I won't really hold it against anyone, at least not now that I solved what turned out to be the biggest unintentional puzzle of the game for me.

Hope this helps any of you who may run into the same problem! Now go enjoy this delightful game!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2010 11:20:24 AM PST
Randy Baker says:
You should consider a career in software Quality Assurance! ;-)

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 8:07:36 PM PST
A. Nielsen says:
Now that's some good feedback. I'm only on about level 4 of this game as we just got the Wii for X-mas and I've been considering doing the free-play after each level. I've played the Indiana Jones and once I finished the game a couple of times I wondered how much more fun it would be to freeplay each level instead of wait until the end when you're tired of the game and never go back to free play. However, with Harry Potter, I enjoy the theme so much I doubt I will get bored of the game so I will wait, based on your comments. Thanks for your insight!

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 5:55:44 PM PDT
Samantha says:
Ah! I wish I'd read this two hours ago. I ran around in that courtyard, too. I hope I don't end up having the same problem. :(

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 5:43:11 AM PST
Candise says:
Thank you. My boys are excited to try this fix for this game they totally want to play.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:01:41 PM PST
J. DeWacker says:
i had the same problem when i bought the game from Best buy. I played it off of a game I borrowed from my local library. I loved it so much, I had to have it. then I played it and found the glitch, so I returned it and got a new copy. Same thing happened again. So I returned it and something else. I re-borrowed it from my library and I have had no problems. I really wish I had your review before I returned it, had I known I could have kept the copy.

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:07:27 AM PDT
We had this same problem! Thank you so much for the feed back, we will be doing the reset and follow the ghost and not veer off like we had!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›