1,448 of 1,507 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Satisfied, June 17, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn 20-Function Bike Computer (Sports)
This bike computer, for the price, is by far the best on the market. How do I know? Because there is no other bike computer that boasts a name brand company, has as many features, and costs as little as this one! I made sure to read all the reviews on Amazon before I purchased this, and I find it disheartening that I was almost swayed to *not* buy it. Fortunately, I read between the lines of all the negative comments and figured their age and/or grammar explained why they had difficulties with the device.

To start, almost everyone is correct in stating it's difficult to install; honestly, it is! The instructions suggest a 1mm distance between the magnet and the sensor, which basically means: as close as you can get it without the two pieces hitting! To achieve this, the task takes a considerable amount of fiddling, but once you find the right spot on the fork and spoke to where they come closest without hitting, you're golden. I spent about 10 minutes doing this. After the magnet and sensor were on, the setup of the computer was a breeze. It asked for wheel diameter (which is required if you want accurate readings of speed, distance, etc), age, weight, time settings, etc. If you read the instructions, it will explain how to set each of these values.

I want to address a few of the complaints on this page. The first was from a young man who said he was riding 60 mph. Your problem: you didn't set the correct wheel diameter! The instructions provide you a handy chart to tell you what code to type in based on the corresponding diameter. Now, if you don't know what a diameter is, or don't have the intelligence to look it up online, you probably shouldn't be using this computer in the first place. If your wheel is 26" and you set it to 15", yes, you will not have the correct and accurate display of your speed!

I read another review that said he couldn't figure out what buttons to push. Answer: READ THE DIRECTIONS! The directions tell you what to push, for how long, and when. They do this for all displays and all features. If you can't figure that out, I don't know what else to tell you. Honestly, there are 2 buttons, are you that stupid?

I read another review that said distance traveled couldn't be reset, nor could the calories or fat burned. WRONG! Yet again, people fail to actually *read* the instructions, and have the nerve to come online and submit a negative review. There are 7 displays that are shuffled with the *right* button. The *odometer* display does not reset, because it's just that, an odometer. Do you reset your car odometer, too? What you're looking for is the *tripmeter* display. The tripmeter can be reset by holding the *left* button for 2 to 3 seconds. When you reset the tripmeter, you also reset the trip timer, and the average speed value which was set during your previous trip. To reset the calories burned or fat burned, go to that feature display, and hold the left button for 2 to 3 seconds. Simple enough?

In summary: this computer is accurate in all its features if you read the instructions and input the correct wheel diameter. Speed, distance traveled, average speed, trip timer, temperature, and everything else, I have found to be 100% accurate. I checked the speeds against a driver and the temperature against a 3rd party thermometer. Since I've only used this product for a couple weeks, I can't tell you how durable or what's its longevity will be, but if the features and accuracy mean anything, I should be using this computer for a long time.

Quick note to everyone who set this thing up wrong and feels foolish for complaining: if you input the wrong diameter, press both buttons down at the same time for 3 seconds and it will reset the whole device so you can input data from scratch. If your speedometer is reading out "0.0" while you ride, you have the sensor and magnet setup wrong. Try to align the magnet with the arrow next to the "Sensor" text.

The key to having a pleasurable experience with this bike computer is to read the instructions. If you don't feel like reading instructions, don't buy this. If you feel you can bare with the idea of reading a bit and want a great piece of hardware at the lowest price on the market, BUY this device.

*** Last Update: March 04, 2012
***

Well, it's now 2012, about 4 years later, and this thing is still running strong. The red face plate has popped off due to excessive dropping (sometimes while riding or just managing the bike in general, I've knocked it off several times). Solved this with some super glue. Aside from dings and dents, still running like a champ.

*** User Manual
***

To those Amazon users that are looking for the user manual for this product, please read below...

I've uploaded scans of the user manual and added it into the "submitted images" area of this product.
You should see some thumbnails underneath the main image for this item, view the rest to see the user manual.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 16 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2008 1:23:16 PM PDT
E. Lambeth says:

Posted on Sep 11, 2008 9:32:51 PM PDT
W. Boyer says:
Mine did not come with the same instructions as yours. It did not include all those details you assume others didn't bother to read - they just are not there for me! For the first item in setup, it say to enter the wheel size. SIZE? - what dimension? Diameter? Radius? Circumference? In what units? Inches? Centimeters? Millimeters? Turns out to be circumference in mm. But it does not say that in the instructions.

Posted on Sep 20, 2008 3:34:57 PM PDT
I have found this review to be right on the mark with all statements including ease of use and installation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 3:07:08 PM PST
C. Rodrigues says:
I'll scan my instructions and add them to the product images.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 3:11:12 PM PST
C. Rodrigues says:
Sorry if I came off as rude. I felt I was being truthful, but I suppose the bluntness could be misconstrued as rudeness. I was so blunt, however, because the reviews almost convinced me to overlook this otherwise great device and that aggravated me quite a bit. I was simply trying to save others from letting the bad reviews negatively influence their decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 12:20:23 PM PST
R. E. Pranke says:
Will this one work for a stationary bike?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 6:16:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2009 6:18:34 PM PST
Rodrigues,
Did you do that? Scan the instructions? I'm asking due to the fact I lost mine and looking for another...
Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 23, 2009 10:13:14 PM PDT
your review sounds spot on and I am buying this item as a result. Just got me a nice Raleigh 8.0 mountain bike, riding in Mercer Park trails is awesome, where do you ride at? I see you are in NJ.

Posted on Mar 25, 2009 12:04:33 AM PDT
M. Gordon says:
Thank you for your honest, intelligent, and detailed review. I am convinced. My husband has been looking at similar devices in stores, but they are several times the price of this one. I almost overlooked it, as well, but stopped to read your review first. I am now ordering one of these to surprise him with. Thanks again.

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 4:57:23 PM PDT
Suong Nguyen says:
I was skeptical at first, I mean it's a cheap 10 dollar device for a road bike. It probably stinks. Well I was wrong, what an awesome review. Your judgment is quite convincing and probably the best product-review here for this "Schwinn-17" on Amazon. I feel like I know too much about this bike computer already and I haven't even purchased it yet. Thanks, kudos and respect !!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (762 customer reviews)

$24.97