5.0 out of 5 stars Plays everything the others won't!, October 12, 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Electronics)
I got this media player elsewhere locally, before Amazon dropped their price. Anyway, the GUI is fine. It's easily navigable, not cluttered at all, presented in a beautiful package, and certainly easy to read. All pluses there. The first videos I attempted to play were 720p mkv files over wireless network (on a 1TB HDD connected to my computer in the basement via USB). After taking a few seconds to gather the first few pictures from the USB--> wireless connected storage device, the WDTV Live streamed the videos seamlessly! I even paused one for like 8 minutes while making dinner, and it resumed with no noticeable glitches, artifacts, or rendering/buffering. The second (and only other) file type I attempted to play was a 1080p TS file I had recorded from my cable box. This took a little bit longer between hitting play and seeing video on the screen, but time was minimal. I want to say no more than 4 or 5 seconds. Again, it had to pull the video from the HDD to the computer via USB, and then again from the computer to the media player over the wireless G network. This video also played flawlessly! No artifacting, no rendering/buffering/, no audio sync issues or dropped frames. It plays video from hella far away on the network beautifully, and resumes from pause just as well! I only have 2 cons listed below:

-The out-of-box immediate software update took EONS! I was waiting for the newest firmware to download for almost 30 minutes.
-The remote control has highly raised rubber buttons that cannot be pressed in fast succession, or must be pressed a little bit harder in order to get signal sent. It's annoying, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. (Also, on this note, there are privately developed remote control apps for both Android and iOS in their respective app stores which may be an alternative for myself or some of you)

In conclusion, the new interface is exactly what I was expecting (if not better) after seeing last years release of the GUI on the hub. This player plays absolutely everything! It even plays items from peripherals on computers 2 floors down in my house wirelessly with very little wait time or visible effort. The price point is fantastic, and the product does not disappoint.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2011 3:04:42 PM PDT
pedrojmartm says:
Hi, i would like to make you a question. This media player would play subtitles files with the movies? this is because i like to watch movies with the original audio track, with spanish subtitles. In my PC i use vlc (videolan player) or BSPlayer, both of these video players, loads automatically the subtitle with the only requirement of have the same filename of the movie file..
PD: the most commonly used files over the internet are: .srt and .sub files.

regards...

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 9:35:36 PM PDT
hi, i just bought this and cant figure it out. could you maybe help,
I have a macbook pro running snow leopard with attached external harddrives that i want to stream movies from to the new 2011 WD TV Live. the movies im streaming are video_ts files. I dont want to connect them directly into the unit itself via the usb ports because i need them by my computer, not by my tv.

it would actually be helpful if someone could tell me exactly how to set it up out of the box. I did exactly as the knowledge base setup for mac said but it seems to be incomplete. I by chance guessed and turned on the smb sharing function in my sys prefs and that at least allowed me to see my computer on there but it doesnt seem to be working properly, as it keeps forgetting my username and pass (which makes me have to retype it all in with the awful remote) , and sometimes it just doesnt show up at all. Im using wired ethernet btw.

Im so annoyed with this thing already simply because i cant find any info on it. all help vids i find on youtube are for the old one. i have found reviews where they clearly say that it does exactly what i want, but the 3 different wd techs i talked to for the last 2hrs provided zero help. the last tech i talked to said it was my fault it wasnt working because i was trying to stream HD content.

im not married to this thing, if it doesnt do what i want it to i will just return it, i just want to know if im doing something wrong or if it just isnt possible.

thanks in advance for any help / advice

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 7:07:15 AM PDT
AKW says:
Yes, it supports subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 8:48:19 AM PST
C. Crum says:
I don't anything about a Mac, but I have 3 harddrive in my sony. Only c drive was showing, I had to go share the other drives before I could see them. Hope it is that easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 12:58:16 PM PST
Dale says:
It supports subtitles, but not ones "embedded" in mkv files. You have to extract them to an .srt file or something similar, name it identically to the movie file, and then it'll work. I wish it could read the embedded subtitles like VLC can.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 1:01:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 1:01:41 PM PST
Dale says:
Hmm, SMB on Snow Leopard should work. Be sure you're not using Lion (10.7), as it will NOT work with Lion (due to Apple screwing with the SMB implementation). I'd recommend either:

(a) Run a UPnP media server like Vuse. That will share any media you tell it to.
(b) Set up an NFS share (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5984/nfs-manager, it's free and works great).

I've always hated using SMB on my Macs. Never seems to work quite right.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 3:17:04 AM PST
g says:
@Dale, you are incorrect on subtitles. It fully supports subtitles "embeddded" (the actual term is "muxed") in mkv.

I am a big subtitle user and this device fully supports all types of subtitle files, including those muxed into mkvs.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 1:51:01 PM PST
L. Spann says:
Do I have to connect it to the internet via ethernet cable? Does it work via wirelessly as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 10:43:33 PM PST
80sGuy says:
^^It works both ways, you'd have to choose one or the other under network setup.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 11:52:57 PM PST
Peter Choi says:
Hi there, thanks for the review! I have a question: when viewing media files on a network share over SMB, does the interface show album art and automatically download tv show episode or movie information, or does it strictly just show you the file name?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (2,184 customer reviews)

$129.99 $89.00