Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, June 22, 2012
This review is from: LG 42CS570 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Well, I finally broke down and bought an LCD tv. After studying LCDs for about a year. I decided against WIFI in a tv. The problem is keeping a wifi tv updated with current apps. It seems that due to models rapid changes that most TV companies do not wish to spend the resources to keep old models (probably discontinued) updated. So the best option is to save the money abd add a Roku to handle the wifi apps. Roku automatically updates as necessary. I have had a Roku for a few years and they are rock solid.

I have presently an old 37 tube type tv. It has been a good tv but it is hopelessly outdated. Now the only problem I have is getting someone to remove it (it weighs a ton) and dispose of it. It still works but it is not a digital tv (got to have the "box" for conversion) or in my case Direct TV..

I also, didn't want a 3D TV. 1. I get headaches watching a neighbor's 3D. 2. 3D movies (mostly cartoons)are hokey expensive refurbs (~30-50 bucks). 3. The glasses are expensive. Also, I didn't want the super-duper "easy" controller. Most of these things are a pain. So why waste the money?

The LG 570 is very well designed and the menus are easy to navigate. Most are for fine tuning if that is your bag. Me, I plugged it in ran the basic setup time zone, picture, and etc. It works great. I plug in the Roku and wow,, beautiful picture. The remote is well laid out and logical. I dislike those "control" everything remotes as they are a major pain to set up and only halfway work.

Just a suggestion on unpacking. When messing with LCDs never touch the screen. I turned the box upside down edgewise. carefully cut the tape. Open the flaps tape them open if necessary. Turn the box top side up edgewise. Then simply left the box off while holding the TV. Now carefully study the stand installation in the included manual. There is an extra part (dust cover) which is installed when wall mounting the TV. It covers up the hole the table stand is installed in.

The screws are in the bag the manual was in. I wouldn't use a power screw driver. Gently tighten each screw when all the other screws are installed. I propped the TV up by the backside. In my opinion it is not a good idea to lay it screen down even if the surface looks flat. The two table stand parts fit perfectly together. Attach four screws and snug them down. If you have to force the parts you have them wrong. Then drop the stand into the mount hole on TV. Of course the wide part of stand is to the front of TV. Install and snug four screws.

I downloaded the full manual (about 70 pages)from the LG tech support website. Note; When searching the model number leave off LG letters. There is a ton of features available explained in the big manual. The included manual is just a bare bones getting started type..

I got a handyman coming over take out the old TV (too heavy for me and my bad knee). Then I can hook up surround sound (fiber optic connection). There is no analog sound output. There is an input button on the top of the remote that brings up the input screen. Only those inputs that are active are selected. Also, you can create labels for the inputs

I tried out a USB dongle with a ton of pictures. The folder navigator works good. There is a Vista type picture player that pops up when you select a picture and then you can do a slide show. Works very smooth.

Ye Gods, 42 inches is HUGE. My first TV (cost about $1000 in today's money) was a 19 inch Admiral (that was a big one in 1950). Hey, 20 yrs before I had a "cat whisker" crystal radio. Grandpa said I was crazy to spend that kind of money on a silly box that was just a "fad". He sure enjoyed the old "Oprey" on the "fad".

The local antenna input has an automatic scanner that picks out the "good"signal channels. It takes a bit of time in the Phoenix area. Just be patient. Geezz,I didn't realize how many digital channels there are. You may have to go back and delete some. The Quick menu is fast for deletes and adding. Note: when local antenna is hooked up no signal will be present until the scan is completed.

I will do updates as time goes by. So far I LOVE IT!!!!

Update (next day): AUDIO

Well, hooking up the surround sound (7 speakers )was a learning experience. Hooking up the fiber optic cable is a lot easier if you remember to remove the dust covers on each end of the cable (Amazon has them cheap). The sound is incredibly crystal clear. I knew there was loss in the analog cables, but I had no idea it was that much! Wow!! The Bose speakers came alive. I could blow out the windows at half power. My ears would probably go first. So I was careful with the sound level.

A big problem with a audio optic output is that there is no volume control on the source. The sound level is controlled only by the speaker power amp. But the crystal clear sound is worth the inconvenience.

When using my DirectTV box there was no optical output so I ran the cable (yellow, red white)into AV1 on the TV. I put the Ruko on HDMi 1. Every thing worked great.

Now back to the sound level problem: The TV in house speakers are good (not great)but the sound volume control on remote works good. I have a 19 LCD tv and it had terrible speakers so I installed a Logitech computer sound system with bass unit(Amazon) plugged into the headphone jack on TV. Problem solved.

As the LG has a headphone jack, I may do the same.

Tune the Direct TV to ch 802 power up the surround sound the 1950's Doo Wop rocks (best music ever written of course Glenn Miller and Neil Diamond are close). The bass box rattles the windows. I mute the sound on the TV kick back and let the Malt shop memories flood back (News Flash: To all male younguns out there: Girls are predators and always have been)!

Now I am going to dump my old DVD player and get one with optical output.

Update:The Direct TV programming code for DTV remote is 10178.
The DTV remote programming is in the system menu. You hold down the mute and select buttons until the TV light (move selector to TV) on Remote blinks 3 times. Then enter code. The sound button on DTV remote should popup the volume level indicator on TV screen. If so move the selector back to DTV and you are in business.

New Update: The in house speakers are so, so. I took the logictech computer speaker system and plugged them into the TV phone jack. Much better sound. The bass unit is really good.

PROBLEM: When you plug into head phone jack the fiber optic sound output cuts off. RATS, why did they do that? I wanted leave the computer speakers in and still be able to use the surround sound system for Netflix. So I am stuck with the cheapy in house speakers. The audio features are not well thought out...
If you don't need the fiber optic audio out. Then get Logitech speakers with bass unit. They sound MUCH better than the in house speakers...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2012 7:50:19 PM PDT
Absolutely fantastic review. thanks.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 2:16:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 2:20:52 PM PDT
AL1432 says:
I share your pain regarding the headphone output cutting off the speaker output. I have last year's LG 42LK520, which I liked very much and for which the LG 42CS570 is the 2012 model which I will use in addition (have not purchased yet). My wife likes audio set at very low volume, while I prefer it louder, which headphones with volume control could help control. To my dismay, plugging in the headphone jack turns off the speaker output. Not well thought out on LG's part. What I will likely end up doing is routing audio-out to my stereo system, and use the headphone jacks from there, but why oh why couldn't LG simply have the headphone on a separate circuit from the built-in speakers? Very good review otherwise, thanks!

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 5:03:52 PM PDT
K. Jones says:
Got the tv today, and used your tip for easily unpacking the set... worked like a charm. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 3:27:10 PM PDT
I find your review rather confusing. First, what the heck are "in-house" speakers? Something built into your walls? You're talking about a Bose system that you're connecting using TOSLINK, so why are you also trying to connect that Logitech whatever-it-is? If the Bose blows out your windows at "half power", then why do you need to connect something else?

Also, why aren't you using HDMI from your DirectTV box? HDMI carries video and audio, so there's no need to deal with another TOSLINK between the DirectTV and your audio system. This is advantageous anyway because the TV will automatically output the correct video/audio as you switch HDMI inputs on the TV.

It sounds to me that you're making this system more complicated than it has to be, and making things more difficult for yourself in the process.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:54:48 AM PDT
Azima says:
I just bought this tv and am very disappointed with the picture. I've tried to adjust it with the "Picture Wizard" but the picture, though bigger, is not nearly as crisp as the old tube tv I've replaced. In your review you seem to be saying that you don't get a great picture unless you connect to Roku; is this true? I'm just watching regular network tv.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2013 8:16:27 PM PDT
J. Marsh says:
regular network tv will look awful on any hdtv. You need to have an HD source.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›