4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Watch, lots of fun, March 12, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's PAW2000-1CR "Pathfinder" Digital Watch with Black Band (Watch)
I stopped wearing a watch a couple of years age and used my cell phone for time. Didn't realize how much I missed having a watch until I got this one and started using it. My previous watch was a Casio G Shock. It was too thick and I had problems with it catching on my sleeve. I'm an engineer and wear a lot of long sleeve dress shirts.

Anyway the Pathfinder is not too big. The dial is big enough for my 59 year old eyes to see it. It is thinner and a little bigger diameter than the G Shock.

Best features are the atomic clock accuracy and no battery to replace. I actually got this model because of the sunrise/sunset feature. It rounds off to the nearest 5 minutes. It is handy as I'm always up before dawn and need to plan my running or bike riding based on the daylight. I don't like riding in the dark.

The barometer is good, but the altimeter is not as handy as I expected. The problem is it has to be adjusted when the barometric pressure changes. For example I live at 75' elevation, but when I got the watch it read 320 feet. I adjusted the reading to 80 feet, but the next day the weather changed (rain storm blew out) and I was reading -40 feet, still at home.

It will be OK for hiking where you can set it to a known altitude and it should be reasonably accurate for a few hours.

I tried the compass, but am not sure if I want to set the declination for my area or leave it as is. It should be OK for random use. The temperature is not super useful as it seems to measure my wrist temperature and I do not really want to take it off and let it stabilize to get a more accurate reading. Not likely I'm going to drop it in a cup of water to see how hot it is.

The alarm works, but it is a little too quiet. I don't always hear it. The back light is cool but again it could be a little brighter. I'm sure this is to conserve battery power.

Over all I like the watch and plan on wearing it for a long time.

[Add comment]