5.0 out of 5 stars What a luscious, soaring achievement, just gorgeous, May 7, 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Don't miss this group, of whom I know very little, having just heard them for the first time today. I didn't even bother to wait - this is a CD I wanted now. That doesn't happen very often for me, and admittedly I have eclectic taste, but I am simply stunned with OM&M, their vivacity, freshness, their very obvious difference. Excellent vocals as their voices are not typical or routine nor even "similar to so and so," and that is so to their credit. They aren't trying to be anyone else, anything already worn down to a nub from over-familiarity.

Initially it was their curious type of musicality that gripped me, I will listen to anything, once, but if you manage to "sound" different that will get a second listen. I have spent all day unpacking this sound; they do have their musical quirks, which can be described as bouncy, effervescent, soaring, energetic, even jaunty, like swathes of shimmering silk banners, and then, it all pales and almost shivers with melancholy. Add in her breathy voice, possibly the most interesting, original vocalizing since the lead singer for the Cranberries and the drifting, weaving, tickling layers of sound around her voice and it is enough to make you just stop and HEAR, with that wonderful, priceless sensation as if for the first time.

In time I will put it all together, words, images, interplay between their complementary vocalists, male and female, but for now, and I hope a long time, I just don't want to lose that shock of something so unexpected that it makes you happy.

There is not a poor or sloppy or wasted track, the whole CD, whether played in shuffle or in order, works; nothing whiny, cloying, tedious or intentionally fatuous in their efforts, what an amazing body of sound here. Like the best of Modest Mouse (a sound in perpetual confusion as to what it is, which I rather like, and is only one indie example) OM&M delivers, but with more consistency.

Do something great for yourself today, GET this CD, and maybe it will be Mountain Sound, or Dirty Paws, or Lake House, but it will be one of them that makes you just stop and think, omg, to HEAR is such a delight, and they make you feel it too, not just hear it, but feel it. Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful. Like the first time I heard Mozart's Magic Flute, music in particular has the ability to just make you thrilled to be alive!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2012 4:22:50 AM PDT
"Swathes of shimmering silk," "melancholy," the Cranberries--all things that speak to me. This review was magical and sold me on the album. An excellent review in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:01:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 6:03:04 AM PDT
now I'm blushing; as a rule i try not to rush off and post a review until I have worked out my points and hopefully catch spelling mistakes, but I just had to post this one in the full rush of excitement.

And as much as I have been playing this CD everywhere (think, car, work, gym, home) I am still hearing phrases, both musical and verbal, that for some reason I missed before. And I still love the peculiarity of their voices together, yes yes yes Cranberries, but she never had a male voice harmonizing with hers did she? This one threads in and out with a lightness that just fascinates me! Glad you are enjoying their CD!

Posted on May 26, 2012 8:29:43 PM PDT
M. Desoer says:
Thanks for the unusually vivid and thorough review. It has put me over the top to purchase the CD.

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 6:02:08 PM PST
P Wagner says:
Wow, I'm actually taking time to review a review. But that is extremely well written. Makes the so-called professionals seem pretentious and dull.

I'm buying this album based purely on this review.

Beth, your passion and enthusiasm are infectious.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2014 5:15:13 PM PST
lol, well, guess what, it's been at least a year or more since I first heard OM&M and there is only one song I can't listen to (the too-oft played Little Talks, sheer over exposure to it) and one I can't make it through due to its emotionality (Love Love Love, painful and too close to the bone) - otherwise it is on my playlists STILL as if it were brand new. In a sense it is; kudo's to them for having the baby steps of titans.

BTW I wrote this all in one go, which is probably how it reads!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (769 customer reviews)

Reviewer