4.0 out of 5 stars The full suite of G-Shock 'tough' well dressed behind an analog dial, June 17, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's GW3000B-1ACR G-Shock Solar Power Black With Orange Dial Watch (Watch)
I'm a huge fan of G-Shock products and the look & design of this watch made it an irresistible addition to my collection. Since the case is entirely comprised of resin & the steel buttons along with the mineral crystal lens are all well recessed within the watch, I don't worry about anything denting or scratching anything off of this watch. There is good attention to detail & build quality from what I have observed. The orange colored features against the black face of this watch make it very readable in daylight. As far as the band, I find resin bands to be more comfortable, durable and less susceptible to failure since there are no parts to bend or wear out. I really enjoy the look & overall character of this watch. Some might consider it to be 'oversized' but it doesn't seem to be huge on my wrist.

Atomic timekeeping & solar power (or equivalent) have become basic requirements for all of my timepiece purchases. The biggest weakness of any "waterproof" or water resistant watch is the rear bezel seal. If you never have to tamper with that seal, you reduce the risk of compromising that seal and allowing water to enter the watch. This watch charges it's internal battery using sunlight which is incredibly convenient.

Any potential purchaser should be forewarned that operating this watch will require a careful review of the owner's manual and about an hour to familiarize yourself with the watch & it's functions. When I first unboxed this watch it instantly either awoke from sleep mode or programmed itself to my local timezone. It was accurate down to the second right out of the box as I compared it side by side with another atomic-timekeeping G-Shock watch. That is until I started pressing buttons according to the "quick start guide". Soon after pressing just a few buttons the watch was completely out of sync in every possible way, from the time to the day & date. I made the mistake of attempting to explore the watch's functions thinking that it would be intuitive like other G-Shock watches I've owned, but I was very mistaken. That being said I spent an hour tinkering with the watch & reading the entire instruction manual. I now know my way around this watch very well and have zero concerns about it being complicated to operate but I didn't reach that point without spending at least an hour of my time to figure things out.

This high precision timepiece offers some nice features, however I was disappointed that it completely lacks lighting capability. There is absolutely no backlight, or LED for momentary lighting of the watch face. The hands, numbers & like markings on the watch face glow in the dark for approximately 7 minutes after being exposed to light. You will not be able to read time precisely with this timepiece in the dark, but you'll be able to estimate within 4 minutes at the very most.

The other disappointing discovery I encountered is that the stopwatch function on this timepiece only counts up to 23m 59s elapsed. I was quite surprised that a G-Shock would not chrono over 24 minutes and I feel that this makes the stopwatch only marginally acceptable. I must admit that I don't use this feature very often, but I don't like the idea of limiting my timing to less than 24 minutes.

A feature that I do use regularly is dual zone timekeeping which this watch does flawlessly, and with DST independently enabled or disabled. A handy integrated 'zone swap' function to allow you to switch the time displayed on the watch's primary face easily & quickly between 'home' and 'away' time zones. Secondary 'away time' is tracked on the small dial between the center & #3 on the watch face. It should be noted that the secondary time is displayed in 24hr format on a very small area of the watch face which could be difficult to read for some.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase & will keep this G-Shock because of it's great looks, rugged G-Shock toughness, atomic timekeeping & solar powered rechargeable battery. World time is a bonus, but again I feel the stopwatch is somewhat limited for a G-Shock. I wish there was some sort of backlight or LED to charge up the glowing hands, markings & numbers too. Overall, this is one of my favorite watches & I would not part with it over the aforementioned disappointments.

Pros:
- It's a G-Shock! A virtually indestructible watch!
- Solar powered means you don't have to hassle with replacing a battery or compromising case seals which could let water in & brick the watch.
- Atomic timekeeping so you have extremely accurate time which calibrates daily in most areas and you also don't have to hassle with setting the day & date.
- Good looking watch with high visibility color scheme & detailed markings.
- Precise "tough" movement accurate while surpassing 12 G-forces.
- Dual time with integrated world timezone designations is great for traveling.

Cons:
- Initially difficult to use & set.
- Chrono/Stopwatch only tracks up to 23m59s of time elapsed.
- No backlight or auto EL feature found standard on most G-Shock watches.
- Small features could be difficult to read for some people.
- Only the primary watch hands and time markings glow in the dark for a limited amount of time before going completely dark. Day, date, 24hr secondary world time dials are not visible in the dark.

[Add comment]