3.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, limited features, constant reboots required, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Belkin N300 Wireless N Router (Latest Generation) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Received this router, set it up with the same SSID and password as my previous router, and most of my devices were able to connect without having to reconfigure anything.

Configuration of the router was quite simple. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Easy to set up password, left wireless channel selection to auto, etc.
2. Multibeam technology - spreads the signal well around the house. Can even use with my portable devices and laptop in the backyard (router in the den, so 2-3 walls away)
3. Self-healing technology (though this is suspect, as it seems to consist of telling the router to reboot itself at a certain day & time). Product description claims some kind of analysis to find the clearest channel (I did configure it for auto channel selection...many routers now have that option).
4. Many different devices connected - D-Link wireless print server, desktop PC running Vista, laptop running Windows XP Professional, laptop running XP Home, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S, iPod Touch, iPad, Wii (streaming Netflix), 7" Android tablet, etc.
5. WPS configuration (though I did not use it...just assuming it will work)
6. Other standard configuration options available - DMZ, virtual server, MAC address filtering,

Cons:
1. Router displays its info (internet settings, lan settings, firewall settings, etc.) without needing to login
2. There is no place to reserve IP address based on specific MAC ID -- this is very important if you are connecting to LAN or WLAN enabled printers (or printer servers) or NAS drives. As a work around, I had to configure my printer with a static IP address, and make sure that the DHCP address range avoided the static IP used for the printer. The downside to this is the router will not display the printer in the client list (client list is only for DHCP clients, so static IP won't show up).
3. One of my computers will not reestablish connection if coming out from System Standby. Solution is to reboot the router (unplug power, or login from another computer and do a software reboot). This did not happen with the previous router.
4. Frequently the printer on the WLAN network will not print. Rebooting the router (unplug power cord or software reboot) will fix problem.
5. Missing ability to configure different TCPIP ports, services, or restrict access hours (parental control).

Conclusion:
If you want a simple router and are not connecting a network printer or NAS drive, this router will work fine and is simple to use. More advanced users with networked printers and NAS drives, or wanting to control internet access, etc. will find the lack of these options frustrating and should look into a brand name instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2011 10:54:04 AM PDT
Belkin Cares says:
Hello J.W.,

Thank you for writing your thorough review. We appreciate all the feedback that you have written. If you have time we would like to speak with you regarding the issue you mention that you are having with your 1 computer to see if there is something we can assist you with to resolve this issue. Please write to us at customercare@belkin.com.

Best Regards,
Belkin Support

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 10:36:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2012 12:38:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 6:41:06 AM PST
E. Dunn says:
I appreciate the fact that you guys monitor these posts. I have just ordered the router mentioned in the post you responded to and am looking forward to checking it out. What I especially wanted to comment on, after reading reviews on several different products I have purchased from Amazon, is the customers that buy an inexpensive product, to use around the house, and expect to get high end results from it. If I wanted a router to do everything the poster you replied to wanted from this router, I would probably be looking to spend in the $100-$200 range for a router. These are just my thoughts, and I commend you on being in touch with your customers. ED DUNN

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 12:51:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 12:54:54 AM PST
I would respectfully disagree with "E. Dunn" who is implying that if you want a router that handles network printer or NAS drive, one would probably need to spend $100-$200 range.

I have an older Office Depot brand (Activa) "g" router which was $25 on sale ($35 regular price) that handles laptop PCs, network printer, NAS router, and Blu-Ray player without re-booting or other problems described in "J.W.s" review.

I would consider these pretty basic uses of a WiFi network.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 1:49:51 PM PST
J. W. says:
Agree with not needing to spend $100-$200. I currently use a D-Link DIR-601 (today's price less than $30), which handles both my network printer and NAS drive as well as giving 11n speeds. Only feature I'd "wish" to have is dual band, which is not a big issue...that's why I continue to use the DIR-601.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 10:11:21 AM PDT
Craig G. says:
Belkin, look on newegg at the negative reviews. Most users are experiencing the same connectivity issues with your poor router. I called Belkin and they want me to pay them for time on the phone too fix your faulty product. I'm switching to Zyxel who gives unlimited free tech support on even their legacy devices. Poorly done Belkin. I'll never buy one of your products.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2013 8:05:34 AM PST
Bill Dyszel says:
To Belkin: Could you do us the favor of posting a solution for other Belkin router owners who have the same problem? Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (1,802 customer reviews)

$44.99 $29.99