Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a WNDR3700v2, June 10, 2011
This review is from: NETGEAR N300 Wall Plug Version Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP) (Personal Computers)
I have been pleasantly surprised with this extender. My WNDR3700 is in the basement next to a large metal work bench and under a lot of metal piping. All of this interference creates a deadzone on the other side of the first floor in the two bedrooms. The house is wired, but this is really annoying for iPads and laptops. I was considering running some longer CAT5e and putting the router in the middle of the basement on a wall, but I tried this extender first.

It's a much more expensive solution than $6/50' of CAT5e (monoprice.com), but I also wanted to extend the WiFi out into the backyard. I plugged the WN3000RP into the wall, waited for the green ready light, pressed the WPS button on the WNDR3700, held down the WPS button on the WN3000RP, and the connection was made. I had a new network named MySSID_EXT with the same security and passphrase.

I tested it out with INSSID on my laptop and my WiFi Analyzer app on my phone. I wandered the house checking the signals. In the bedroom I had a very weak signal from the router(or no signal)and an excellent signal from the extender. In the backyard, I had no signal from the router and a still excellent signal from the extender. Speed tests showed no real difference in speed, but Netgear says you should expect some reduction in speed. It could impact video streaming or file sharing, but I haven't noticed any issues.

I would really like to see an extender like this that supports 5Ghz, but 2.4 is just fine for what I needed. I also don't have a lot of other networks nearby.

The house is 1,700 sq. feet on the first floor and the extender provides a signal everywhere. The backyard is fairly small, but I can go about 75' to my patio and still have an excellent signal (that's about 140' from the extender through a wall. The extender is placed at the edge of the deadzone, as Netgear says it should be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2011 5:40:16 PM PDT
D says:
Your review is timely since I have the exact same router. I just tried the ASUS RT-NT12 Router/Access Point/Repeater, because of mostly positive reviews and price, and it could not keep a stable connection. I'm returning the ASUS and ordering this. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work for me. I hate that I spent hours trying to figure out the ASUS.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 7:10:06 AM PST
There have been recent reports that WPS is insecure and should be disabled. WPS is just a shortcut for setting up network encryption. Set up WPA passwords manually, which is not hard to do, and you will be more secure.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 9:39:31 AM PDT
Sam says:
I'm wondering about the longevity of the device. You are coming up on 10 months of use, and I would like to know if it is still operational?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 5:45:41 PM PDT
Hello says:
It's still working great. No problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 8:18:44 PM PDT
Sam says:
Thanks for the reply. I installed for my sister, and the other night they had a power outage. When power was restored, the unit fired up and worked perfectly.

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 8:01:47 AM PDT
I see that the device is listed as "Dual-Band", but this review mentions "I would really like to see an extender like this that support 5Ghz..." I thought that dual band meant 2.4 and 5Ghz. I have a dual-band router by Netgear and I will see both SSIDs available and can connect to them separately.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2013 7:46:28 PM PDT
nope, I checked the specs listed in this page. Only 2.4 GHZ

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2014 8:44:37 PM PST
Sonoran says:
The WN2500RP is the dual-band model

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 10:13:40 AM PST
BeeJay says:
I have a Lynksys WRT54GL router in the upstairs of my home (office) where my wireless comes in. The lower level of our home (daylight basement) is where our home theater and a hobby room are located. I purchased the Netgear WN3000RP to extend the range of my wifi. When I plug it into the wall and press the WPS button, it flashes and then goes to solid green. Does this mean it is connected? When I take it up to my office and go through the steps on my PC to find it nothing happens other than the flashing green light turning to green. My computer can't discover it. Is it working anyway? I am so non-techy and therefore totally frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›