2.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but kills wifi network, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Uniden Guardian Advanced Wireless 7-Inch Screen Video Surveillance System with 2 Outdoor Cameras - Black (G755) (Electronics)
I bought the unit 1 week ago and setup was a breeze, but if you have a 2.4 / 5ghz wifi network the unit will cripple you wifi network and cause major interference. snippet from review article that confirmed my suspicion.

"As we mentioned earlier, you won't want to position the cameras too far from the main base unit. The specs say they can do 150m, but we found the range to be much less in our test environment at the office. The cameras run in the 2.4GHz frequency spectrum (using frequency-hopping spread spectrum and encryption), and they can, in some instances, cause interference to your wireless network (unless you are running a 5GHz Wi-Fi network). We noticed this after experiencing very slow file transfers (under 500KBps) to one of our laptops while the Uniden Guardian was on, and faster transfers (up to 10MBps) while the unit was off."

I will be returning the unit back to the vendor because I simply can't use my wifi network when this unit is operating.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2013 7:27:34 AM PST
Tim Peters says:
I had this same problem, I move the dock away from my Router into another room and things are back to normal.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 10:01:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 4:09:21 PM PST
Well you could turn off the unit ,unless you are using it as a baby monitor or something .A security unit is generally made to be used when no one is home.I have this and when the monitor is on my download speed drops from about 26 mbps to 7 mbps,monitor off with cameras on back to the normal 26 mbps.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 11:52:50 PM PDT
ginomari says:
When this unit is in use, it slows down your wifi. So you only want to turn it on if you're away, meaning, wifi should not be an issue because you're not home anyway to access your wifi. Not sure if I'm making sense here. Sorry. I'm frustrated with mine. G766.

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 3:42:58 PM PST
Butters232 says:
Yeah, I wondered why my basement computer was having internet connection problems but as soon as I turned the Uniden off I had no problems. I guess I'll just use it when I'm gone, and turn it off when I come home. I might try moving the docking station away from my router.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 5:58:52 PM PST
Kevin says:
Uniden suggested moving the monitor far from my wireless router, so it won't decrease my home WiFi speeds. So as a test, I tried moving the monitor outside to other other end of my house, and it still crippled my WiFi. Looks like the only solution is to get a wired system.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›