5.0 out of 5 stars A fast card makes a difference for the right camera, August 9, 2009
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance Memory Card (SDSDX3-008G-P31) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 1:12 Mins

UPDATE: May 13, 2010
I was contacted by an Amazon shopper named Rolla Gravett. He purchased a Transcend class 6 card that could maintain the 4.5fps to 100 shots. It could be a fluke but in the interest of relaying the facts, I'm letting you know that he offered video as evidence of this feat. Neither my Transcend class 6 card or class 10 card will do this.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this observation.

Repost 10-28-09

To respond to a request, I've changed the video today and included the test shooting in Raw mode. As you can see I'm not getting the 4.5FPS that I got in fine mode. This was about the same time that I shot 100 images in fine mode. Thank you for your suggestion. I got 56 images in just under 24 seconds. On my Transcendclass 6 card I got 25 shots in the same mode/time. My Transcend Class 10 card captured 37 images. In my opinion this is a much better demonstration of the card's write speed.

I have an Nikon D90. I purchased the 8G San Disc Extreme III card 30MB/S and a Transcend 16G class 6 card at the same time. The San Disc Extreme 3 card is incredibly fast. I get 100 pictures (4.5 frames per second) at fine resolution before the camera slows to buffer in 24 seconds. The Transcend card gets 17 photos on the same settings then pauses to buffer and only delivers 25 shots in 24 seconds. The Transcend Class 10 card delivers 66 shots in 24 seconds.

If you have the camera that can take full advantage of this write speed, this fast card is worth the investment. No more cringing while I wait for my camera to clear its buffer so I can take more pictures.

I like to shoot at 4.5 frames. It gives me a lot to pick through when I edit, but a lot can happen in a fraction of a second that can make a photo good or bad. Having the capability to hold down the shutter release and rattle off large bursts of photos is important to me.

I know this test is boring but it is a real world use test. I don't work for San Disc and would consider any other card with this write speed. A word of caution, all class 10 cards are not rated at 30MB/s, they only need to read and write at 10MB/s to be called class 10.

I have found that 8G is a good size for SLR Photography. In my opinion bigger cards are putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

If you have any questions or criticism please comment. I'll redo/repost the test if you can think of a way to make it better.

JPG fine Res Test at this link

Sandisk SDSDX3-008G-E31 8GB Extreme III SD Card 30MB/s (RETAIL PACKAGE)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2009 12:00:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2009 1:59:45 PM PDT
J. Myers says:
The D90 is limited to 100 shots in software reportedly due to tax law in the EU (it would be taxed as a video camera if it could record 4.5fps without limit, as it can with a fast card). In any case it is an artificial limit and is reached with most fast cards (edit: "most" is subjective... 18MB/s or better given the size of a fine jpeg on the d90 should continuously clear the buffer)

Can you hit the 100 limit in raw mode? That would be impressive. I have a D90 and am looking at this card. I agree anything more than 8GB is putting too many eggs in one basket even if you shoot RAW. I currently use a 4GB ducati sandisk plus card (it can be inserted directly into a USB slot) and shooting jpeg fine I get over 500 shots which is about the end of my comfort zone as far as losing the card goes. The primary reason I want this card is a little more room if I can't get to a computer, and also the screaming read speeds. Currently dumping a full card into aperture on my mac takes awhile, at 30MB/s it would be great I would imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 1:01:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2009 1:01:43 PM PDT
Stephen says:
Excellent suggestion. I shot the test in raw mode and reposted it. I only got 56 shots in the same time it took to get 100 shots fine mode. I am still in search of a fast download device that can keep pace with this card. I hope there will be something out soon (with USB 3 specs) that will keep us high speed card users happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 1:54:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2009 12:08:27 PM PST
J. Myers says:
For reference, on my D90 my Sandisk Ducati Edition Class 6 4GB card (no longer available) I can get about 40 shots at full speed (4.5fps) until it starts to slow to about 2 fps in spurts up to the 100. It then clears the buffer at about 1 shot per second until it is empty (JPEG mode). This is on an empty card - performance is reduced as the card fills and on an almost full card I only get about 1fps after the buffer is full. In RAW mode even on an empty card I can only get 4 shots at full speed before it slows down.

Seeing as how RAW files are about twice the size and you are getting roughly the same performance I get using JPEGs in RAW mode, it seems like in practice this card is over twice as fast on the camera as my sandisk class 6, which is quite an achievement.

On the upside, I can get almost 20MB/s reading from the card without using a card reader.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 6:34:31 AM PST
jenidot says:
I just bought the transcend 16gb class 6 and am having issues with viewing playback on my new Canon T1i. It plays the first few seconds and then locks up but I can still hear the sound continue from the video. Have you done any testing on 720 video with your camera with both of these cards? Since both the camera and sd card are new, I don't know if I have a faulty SD card, if the card just isn't keeping up with write speed, or if it is the camera?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 3:27:01 PM PST
Hello jenidot,
First of all you picked out a fantastic camera at the price point. Great choice.

I have not had any problems with recording or playback on the Transcend 16gb card with my Nikon D90 recording 720 HD video. Can you remove the card from the camera and download the file to your computer to play it? Is it a problem limited to play back from the camera? Have you had the problem with any other cards? The T1i specs out for use with a class 6 card.

Are you getting a memory card error reading in the display? The Memory Card Error message on your Canon usually is the result of your memory card becoming corrupt or damaged. You might have taken out the memory card (ejected it) while the camera was still on. This is a common reason why a SanDisk memory card becomes corrupt for example.

Is it possible that you turned off your camera while you were transferring your photos to your computer or turned the camera off while it was still writing to the card?

Other reasons why your memory card (sd card) can become corrupted, damaged or display these Memory Card Errors is that you have not re-formatted the card. You should always re-format your memory card when you have transferred your photos and saved them on your PC. (and when you don't need the photos anymore). This is a good habit to get into and it will ensure that you don't face these memory card errors in the future.

If you use the same memory card in different cameras it can cause the Memory Card Error problem as well.

I would download the card and reformat it in the camera. If this doesn't work I am suspect of the camera since it is new.

Good Luck

Stephen

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 7:20:32 PM PST
J. Myers says:
There wasn't a card as fast as this on the market when the T1i was released, so I'd say its safe to say its either the camera or your card is defective. I'd try reformatting the card if you haven't already.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 7:54:13 AM PST
jenidot says:
I do not have a card reader so I have not been able to try in outside this camera, and none of my other cameras accept sdhc cards. I am supposed to be recieving the new sd class 10 today, and I will try it to see if I experience any issues.

I am getting no error message during video playback it just locks up. I am sporatically getting "Cannot display image" message on pictures that I have taken. I have been careful not to remove or power off camera while camera was reading or writing.

I formatted the card before I took any pictures on it, and has re-formatted it many times since then to try to clear up these issues to no avail!

Thank you for all of your help!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 6:48:21 PM PST
Stephen says:
I'm betting that it is not a card issue. That being said I think you will appreciate the performance of a class 10 card in both reading and writing. Amazon sells some pretty cheap USB card readers. I just got the Zeikos SD/MMC high speed card reader today from Amazon. It had some sketchy reviews but it was only $4 so I figured what the heck. In my one hour of experience, it seems fine and well worth the $4. I got it as a spare and to keep in my camera bag. People often ask to copy my photos and I figured it would be nice to oblige a request of my laptop carrying friends.

Good Luck

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2010 4:03:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2010 4:07:13 PM PDT
Thank you for your video reviews, Stephen. I use the Nikon D90 as well and it really opened my eyes! I had ordered the 2 of the Transcend 16mb Class 10 Cards today and promptly cancelled the order. Thanks to you, I ordered a SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance Memory Card instead. Thanks again. You are great!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2010 4:53:31 PM PDT
Hello Rolla,
I'm glad this helped. I should point out that if the camera is in auto focus and the subject is moving you won't get the 4.5fps speed in the video. The camera won't fire the shutter while the camera is locking focus. I am still very happy with the card and have purchased other Sandisk 30mb/s cards since my origional buy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›