1.0 out of 5 stars Long time user: worst upgrade in a long time, January 7, 2010
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2010 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
My comments apply to the Amazon download version on Windows/Vista. I upgraded from Quicken Deluxe 2007.

The issues I have are in two categories:
1. The Install experience
2. The performance of the new software

I'm giving the software a one star rating because it lost some of my data, something I consider unforgivable for any software product, but especially one that keeps financial data.

INSTALLING

After ordering the software on Amazon (super easy, as usual) you are prompted to download the software. As soon as the download starts it requests permission to install an Amazon package to manage the download. After that is done, the software is downloaded and installed.

Installation Issues:
- It deleted the previous version of Quicken without my permission!
- It installed a replacement for the Google Desktop Toolbar.
- After that new toolbar was up and running it asked after the fact if I wanted to restore the Google Toolbar.
- It started up Quicken, but the new Quicken release could not find my data!
- Worse, though an update was available, it did not prompt me to find and install it. The reason I waited a few months to buy this version was to ensure that I wasn't doing beta testing. BEWARE! DO NOT RUN THE DOWNLOADED SOFTWARE. First Find the 50+ MB upgrade and install it. I didn't and the results were not pretty.
- Ok, I groped around for the location of my data. Vista hid it pretty well, but it was there and once I found it, Quicken proceeded to convert it to the new format. No error messages were seen during the conversion.

RUNNING THE NEW SOFTWARE

- My initial impression of the software is that it is much slower than the 2007 software.
- The GUI has had an overhaul since 2007. Some may like it better, I'm not impressed. It seems to have the things I'm used to, but moved around a little. No big deal.
- I tried an online update to ensure it could do it. It seemed to work. At the end of this I got the first hint that there was a program update available. There was a message inviting me to update. I started the update which failed. I decided to look into that later.
- I looked at the numbers. They changed from what I had seen the day before in the 2007 product. Not good. Not a dramatic change, but something was different.
- I noticed that a credit card account balance was way off from what it should have been. Digging into that, I discovered that apparently the conversion utility had dropped a bunch of transactions!
- I tried multiple times to install the update, rebooting the computer, shutting down the virus checker, etc as suggested. I wasted an hour doing this. The update process failed over and over.
- I went to the support web site and found an article that suggested downloading and installing an update, about 58MB. I did that and the update installer reported that the upgrade had succeeded.
- I spent several hours comparing paper credit card statements to the data in Quicken. I haven't completed this process, but I have the correct balance now.

SUMMARY

In my opinion, this release should be avoided if possible. Intuit plans to discontinue support of the 2007 product this April which will shut off on-line account updates and other features. This forced me to upgrade. I humbly suggest a change in the revenue model. Just charge a subscription fee for on-line account access and let me keep what ever version of Quicken works for me. Why drag me through upgrading every couple of years? The basic job this software does doesn't change over time. Leave it alone or at least do some basic quality assurance testing before releasing it. Remember that some of us have a lot of historical data that we care about.

[Add comment]