3.0 out of 5 stars I'm gonna get blasted....I can see it coming, August 30, 2010
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile (Book 2) (Paperback)
CONTAINS SPOILERS CONTAINS SPOILERS CONTAINS SPOILERS

Moving right along....

I know I am gonna get blasted here, given all of the 5-star ratings for this book. I'm Ok with that, because I struggled with writing an honest review because I wasn't thrilled with the book, and writing a lukewarm review because I heart JL Bourne and didn't want to piss him off. Honesty has won out in this epic struggle. But hey, JL? I still heart you, man.

Another reviewer, lou villaflor says:

"Big fan of the first book (and the zombie genre) so I couldn't wait for this second book. For those that have read the first book, Bourne doesn't disappoint as takes you through a journey of survival but the book literally dumps the reader in the last 30-50 pages(can't tell because I'm reading from a Kindle). It's almost like Bourne had to go somewhere and rushes through the ending. For example, they are attacked by an unknown and unexplained party with high tech weapons, they shut down the fort, evacuate, fight off the Z horde, end up in the carrier base and is forced to go to China-all this with very scant depth-it leaves you empty; especially after you've been on this great journey with the main character. WTF?
3 STARS IS ABOUT RIGHT."

I could not agree more with every single point, though I think it was more than the last 30-50 pages that are...off.

I totally heart JL and was waiting with trembling fingers to get my hands on a copy of this, as the first book was so entirely fabulastic that I just KNEW this book was gonna be ace. It was not.

It wasn't a BAD book, it just wasn't up to par with the first one. It DID feel rushed and incomplete, and the entire middle section of the book (where our hero is trying to get back to Hotel 23) is long, needlessly drawn out and kind of goes not really anywhere, but has threats and story lines that could go somewhere, but do not. It was like 3/4 of the second book was nothing more than a set up for the third.

I assume these threads will be picked up in the third book, which of course I will read - because I think I have, like, OCD or something, and I need the closure - but I wasn't thrilled with this. I still heart JL though. For realsies.

I will say, however, that I don't think I saw even one teeny little editing mistake, which makes me very, very happy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2010 1:31:53 PM PDT
I think I saw the same mistake!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 2:28:38 PM PDT
What mistake? I was saying that I didn't recall seeing any.....not like you usually find in zombie books, LOL.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 5:10:20 PM PST
Frank Hopton says:
i find the the person the main character meets while he is on his own kindof ruins the book.it is so ridiculous. i can factor in a lot of suspension of disbelief, i mean jees its a zombie story, but really out of all the people he could have met it was an ex Islamic terrorist? come on, is this supposed to be some lame attempt at a social commentary?i really liked the first book, but honestly ,among its other minor faults i held that one to be the books undoing. i dont know if anyone else is as perturbed about it as me and i dont know if you even care lol, i just had to get that off my chest.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 7:39:08 PM PDT
Lemmy Lugosi says:
I agree with you, Frank. I thought the second book was a wasted opportunity to have a great follow-up to the original.

The terrorist was just some horribly lazy storytelling. And the subsequent trip to China, mentioned in the final pages, has stretched my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point!

If there's a third book, it'd better be damned good. Honestly, though, I doubt that the story can/will recover from this extreme mis-step.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (416 customer reviews)

$16.00 $14.40