4.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with Retina Display MacBook with Mountain Lion, July 27, 2012
This review is from: Filemaker Pro 12 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I have owned or worked with FileMaker Pro 6, 8, 9 and now 12 for over 10 years. It's nice program with a lot of flexibility and power. Compared to older versions, using the likes of Inspector, which is also present in 11, makes making layouts a breeze.

If you are using Lion or Mountain Lion for Mac, any version older than 11 would not work on your computer. It is important to note that database for 12 is not compatible with 11 or older. For many people, it may make sense to stay with 11 for a while longer in order to be able to exchange information with other people still using older versions of FileMaker.

In my opinion, there now may be one clear reason for preferring 12 over 11 - Retina Display MacBooks. With Mountain Lion as OS (but apparently not Lion), FileMaker Pro 12 gives crystal clear texts. I don't think this is true for 11.

I'm only giving 4 stars because of some bugs that interfere with my use (see a long list of known bugs in various versions of FileMaker at [...] ) as well as lack of a stronger finder function - something that would temporarily or optionally highlight search terms found in the database.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 2:06:38 PM PDT
Mark Arnest says:
"If you are using Lion or Mountain Lion for Mac, any version older than 11 would not work on your computer." - Aside from a quirk on booting up the program, I've had no compatibility issues running Filemaker 9 with Lion or Mountain Lion.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:17:08 AM PST
vinhphuc says:
Hi, I have 2 Mac computers, one desktop running Snow Leopard and the second is a laptop running Lion OS. I'd like to upgrade my version of FileMaker Pro. My desktop is currently running the version 5.5, but Lion OS doesn't seem to support that version. My question is, "Which version of FileMaker Pro should I buy that is compatible for both OS on my computers?" Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:43:00 AM PST
Atalanta says:
If you want to run the older version, I would get FMP11. However, since you would need to upgrade anyway from 5.5, you should look into FMP12. You will need to rebuild your databases because there is such a difference between FMP 5.5 and FMP 12. I'd check the FileMaker website to see if FMP12 is compatible with Snow Leopard. If it is, you can run both versions concurrently on your computer while you do the conversion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 11:36:30 AM PST
vinhphuc says:
thank you for the answer. For right now, I think I likely stick with either 9 or 11. If you can let me know either one works on both OS (Snow Leopard and Lion), that would be great. About 12, what do you mean "conversion"? I read it a lot, but let's say in my database, I have 200 different cards about different vectors I created. Does it mean I have to copy and paste each single one from my earlier version to ver. 12? Or there's a better, faster way?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 11:38:14 AM PDT
Have been using FMP 9 with both Snow Leopard and Lion (on an 2011 iMac)
A few problems with using trackpad, otherwise OK in our experience.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (22 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $260.85