5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best remasters out there., March 11, 2013
This review is from: The Terminator [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First of all, casual viewers are going to just have to ignore the negs here. That is about all you can do. This is the highest video quality you are going to see on bluray. A 36Mbps transfer of an older grainy film and damn does it look wonderful. The AWFUL red push of the old releases is gone and THANK THE HEAVENS. This film looks unbelievable and I am NOT easy to please when it comes to details and bitrates. Most blurays these days cannot seem to get past 25Mbps, many are much less, and it shows with fluctuating quality throughout the film. Not this one.

They slightly changed the color timing to reflect a modern and SLIGHTLY cooler tone. Some people cannot seem to deal with the fact we are no longer in the 80s and no director worth their salt wants that pinkish/reddish look, that was quite common in that time, to their films now that they have a choice. Blade Runner did the same and The Final Cut looks better than it ever did, though, that release has less than HALF the bitrate of this release. Anyway, the timing does wonders for this film IMO. I have never seen this so detailed in all my life. I really think the new timing gives it a more timeless look and will be appreciated by most people. In no way will it hardly even be noticed for the vast majority. Skintones remain natural and whites are still nice and bright.

As for the sound, it is also the most balanced and proper it has sounded in a long time. There are these few diehard weirdos who cannot seem to deal with the fact that most people don't like mono and don't want to listen to mono in film when there are effects taking place all over the soundstage that take advantage of more than one speaker. Cameron never meant for there to be a Mono track it is just that the producers would not let him have his 4 track stereo because they were cheap bastards. He even came in under budget ffs. Mono also has many other deficiencies compared to stereo with depth of the various instruments and sounds and the overall balance of the mix. You can read about that somewhere else.

I do agree they should have at least included it but quite honestly I would not be using it anyway. They seem to have improved the stereo and multi-channel tracks. To my ears the gun sounds are fine and sound pretty damn good for an 80s film. They redid some of the effects with T2 ones to my knowledge a while back. This presentation seems more balanced than any other releases to my ears.

For the people that are boycotting this release let them. This isn't some travesty like the original Patton release or the Predator: Ultimate Edition release which were DNR'd to within an inch of their life and looked like wax on screen. To the contrary, this is one of the best looking blurays on the market. The old Terminator release is a joke compared to this.

Nothing to be afraid of with this one. They did just about everything right except include the old mono track. And no one but a few really care because it ain't that great to begin with. 5 stars for a great remaster and at 10 bucks at Walmart, and around that on Amazon, you really cannot go wrong. Extras are the same as the past versions to my knowledge. Peace.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 10:26:32 PM PDT
Thanks for your useful input. I have ordered mine on about a week ago. The price is nice for the effort put into this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 9:58:33 AM PDT
Your review and mine, directly above yours, seem to both agree. Like you, not sure why so many would want a mono mix but glad you wrote about the BRs quality and not a summary of the plot like so many do.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 1:25:33 AM PDT
DeeJaye6 says:
Not sure why you would refer to me as a "diehard wierdo." I have never liked the newer sound because of the terrible gun sounds. Also, when I watch a movie like this on my laptop with a BD player, I want to have a 2.1/2.0/1.0 sound option so that I can watch it and hear both the dialog and the action sounds without having to "roller coaster" the volume. (My laptop headphones are just normal stereo, so no center channel for me; thus, the dialog is just the faint sound of it that comes through the left and right channels, which means I have to turn it up to hear it. Then a gun shoots and I go deaf.)

So, hopefully this will show you and Steve Douglas why some of us out here want the original sound. I prefer the better-sounding effects, even if they aren't all around me, and I like to be able to watch it on my laptop without constantly turning the volume up and down.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 8:35:16 AM PDT
Hey DeeJay...Would never call someone who wants the original mono a 'die hard weirdo' and if watching on a laptop or tablet, mono sounds about right. In my own review of this disc, I did say that the original mono should have been included and don't know why it wasn't. That said, for home theater enthusiasts with decent surround systems, the re mix of this disc's audio was very well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 10:06:40 AM PDT
DeeJaye6 says:
Cool, cool! It was crank saying "diehard weirdos" that I was talking about. Your name was mentioned solely because your comment above mine where you are not sure why folks would want the original mono sound. That was all. Hopefully I didn't offend! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 11:43:12 AM PDT
Nope, just like to keep things cool.

Posted on May 9, 2014 12:16:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2014 12:28:47 PM PDT
I like the mono audio for it's beefy gun sound effects, but I also like the more realistic gun sound effects in the remixed audio as well. The problem with the remixed audio is that it needs to be seriously touched up in some areas. For example: in the tech noir scene were the terminator is spraying the place with the uzi, in some spots it sounds very off like they recorded the gun sound in one room & the recording device is tucked away somewhere in another room with a blanket over it. Because of this it really takes you out of the immersion of the movie & ruins the suspense.

Even if you choose the stereo option in conjunction with a top of the line $250+ sound bar with a subwoofer(I own a samsung crystal surround air track with a bluetooth subwoofer) it still produces an unnatural sound that is present in some areas throughout the movie. For example concerning the tech noir scene: Now if they added another layer of a close up recording of an uzi firing with slight reverb & added a very slim muffle filter to filter out the unnecessary echoing of the uzi sound effect(like they did with the .45 long slide w/laser sighting gun firing remixed sound effect) then it would be a big improvement over the current remixed audio. Apply a similar approach to all of the other areas that has the messed up remixed audio sound effects that are randomly placed throughout the movie & it would be a much better movie experience & more realistic sound wise.

The previous dvd releases that had the audio problem I could partially excuse due to space limitations. I will give whoever did the video quality touch-up to resolve the video quality problem (from the previous release) in this release credit. But this movie has been released on blue-ray twice & the audio problem has not been resolved/fixed. There is just no excuse anymore to not at least include both the mono audio & the remixed audio on a 25 gb standard blue-ray disc that has plenty of space to include such improvements & additional content. I am still waiting for the ultimate edition equivalents of the rare out of print "the terminator special 1st lenticular edition" & "T2 the ultimate edition" to be both released in hd with additional sound options & improved audio & video quality with no dnr & the film grain intact on blue-ray, but with even more content added to both & maybe a booklet for both(like the alien anthology blue-ray release, especially the first 2 alien films).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2014 2:50:43 PM PDT
crank says:
There are definitely places where you feel the audio can just be totally redone. I agree. For now this is what we have. When the 4K native release comes out it IS possible we could get something better but I'm not sure. What we have now, with the slight new color timing, looks a LOAD better than it ever has imho. I think the slight change really fits the mood of the film.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (115 customer reviews)

$14.99 $10.98