3.0 out of 5 stars Drake's Disappointment, November 3, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I'll start by saying Drake's Fortune is my favorite of the series even though Among Thieves improved on everything except story in my opinion (I just liked Drake's Fortune much better). Also I'm not into online gaming all that much I play multiplayer once out of every few months depending on the game and for Uncharted I just play multiplayer to get the 2 quick trophies then never return to that section of the game again.

Uncharted 3: The Good

-Graphics are not that much better than Uncharted 2 no surprise really

-Controls are pretty much the same with a few new small additions

-Story for the most part was good, not great but good

Uncharted 3: The Bad & Supremely Disappointing

-Wasn't this game supposed to reveal Nate's biggest fear(s)? Nate's fear of losing Sully and Elena has already been done in 1&2, which for me seems to be the thing he is most afraid of more so than the main villian in Deception, I don't remember her name since she didn't really seem that important after completing the game.

-Most of the game you have 1-3 Characters following you and they get pretty aggrivating when they move in front of you and just stop causing you to cease walking in that direction and literally taking a few steps back and walk around them if they dont move, plus when going to take cover during gunfights they can totally screw you when you go to hide behind something and they go to the exact spot you are going for. These arent huge problems but its enough to annoy you or possibly get you shot up

-Even though the game is good it feels like a crappy Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer movie

-Aiming guns can be a pain but if you go into the options you can fix that

-Maybe its just me but Drake's Deception was pretty repetitive, it felt like 1/4 of the game was a chase either running from or after someone or something. 1/4 being hand to hand combat although upgraded got boring real quick shouldve just left it the way it was in Among Thieves. Another 1/4 being collapsing enviroments and the final 1/4 being tedious climbing + shoot outs.

-It seems my fear of multiplayer affecting the single player came true after all. The game is considerably shorter than the first 2 games but it has a bunch more content in the multiplayer than Uncharted 2 had. It took me about 12-15 hrs to beat Uncharted 1 & 2's story on normal, Drake's Deception took me a solid 7.5 hrs on normal slightly faster than the 8hrs most reviewers say it will take and in crushing it took about a hour longer than normal difficulty.

-Now the main reason I dont give this 5 stars. Remember the singleplayer unlockable items from the first 2 games where you get medals for doing set goals while playing which leads to you being able to buy things to unlock on later playthroughs? Examples are: costumes, weapons, slow mo, diferent filters (like playing in black and white or whatever else there was), mirror world, gravity,and anyhting else I missed. There are no single player unlockables which for me severely lowers any chance of playing through it after I 100% the game.

Naughty Dog really lowered my expectations with Drake's Deception, future Uncharted games will require a rent or a greatest hits price drop, i'm not making another what I like to call a "Final Fantasy mistake" and wasting 60 dollars on something that ultimatley makes me hate the series.
Hopefully Naughty Dog reads bad reviews not just the 8-10/10's to see what they screwed up on for possible future entries in Uncharted, I really don't want to end up hating this series in the future. Naughty Dog has a chance to make up for this disaster with The Last Of Us but not holding my breathe.

If youre mainly a single player gamer like me wait until the price drops before buying this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2011 4:44:52 AM PDT
Fred says:
I was only disappointed with the anti-climactic BOSS fight, other than that I thought it was amazing. The aiming I got used to on normal, I am playing on hard now so I'll see how bad it is...I do not play online so I guess I will not find out what that is like regarding aiming. It fits in nicely with the prior two games making an awesome in eatable action game trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 1:01:18 AM PDT
zeb says:
aiming is a pain in hard mode 'cause the enemies move around alot and hide better. game seems to be much shorter than the two previous iterations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 9:51:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011 7:50:34 AM PST
I agree with your review. They also left out the option to watch the cut scenes once you beat the game. I just don't understand why they took away from the game. I love uncharted so much, but in a way, this is the worst in the series. Still great in my book though :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 12:14:50 PM PST
Jaysomniac says:
I agree with your review completely. I originally gave the game 4/5 stars but, upon completing it, now feel a sense of disappointment instead of accomplishment. I wish I would have waited to buy, as even the multi-player has been changed to render a great deal of disappointment. Great review.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 2:57:31 PM PST
MrYeayo says:
I feel the exact same way. I am pissed I paid 60 bucks for something that has absolutely no replay value. The story is very linear. I am trading it in for Arkham City today.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:07:52 AM PST
R. Washburn says:
I agree with everything you said except the star rating. I see three stars as an Average Game, rather than good, but not as good as Uncharted and Among Thieves (which were both amazing).

I am really disappointed they removed the "tweaks" and focussed on the Multi-player for "replaying".

P.S. You should place some feedback on the Naughty Dog boards, where the designers will be sure to see it.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 4:59:31 AM PST
A little sad that you didn't enjoy the game as much as I did, but your review was very informative and descriptive given a very detailed review for other people.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 11:26:09 AM PST
badguy says:
it's not that i didn't enjoy the game but the overall disappointment overwhelmed any enjoyment i had. If Drake's Disappointment were a stand alone title it'd be great but sadly its a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 11:29:08 AM PST
5. Perfect

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 5:00:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 7:25:00 AM PST
C. Johnson says:
I haven't finished the game yet, but I think I'm pretty close to the end. I just finished the annoying, never ending, cruise ship level and I remember saying to myself "what is up with all this Michael Bay crap"?

I think Uncharted 2 was the best out of the 3, but Uncharted 3 just has too much action and the same repetitive climb on something then have it break and fall. Then also constant hand to hand combat scenes, also very repetitive. You even fight the SAME muscle bound guy the entire game. All that is different is that he is a different race. First a big white guy, then a big black guy, then a big arab guy. It was fun the first time, but after the 67th time it does tend to get old.

I'm going to finish the game, but I must say I am disappointed with the game as a whole. It doesn't seem as enjoyable as the first two.

I'm just glad I got it for half price at BestBuy.com with Black Friday deal. The Uncharted series always thrived on an excellent story and a nice balance of action, stealth, and overall game play, this one seems too top heavy with action.

I sincerely hope this isn't the direction this series is going, it would be such a shame.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,173 customer reviews)

$21.80