Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but it could have been much better, September 15, 2010
This review is from: Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer w/ Handguard-Black (Kitchen)
Length:: 5:39 Mins

I use my chef knives for much of my food slicing but when I need a lot of uniform slices I like to use a mandoline. I have a professional model but I was looking for something for small jobs, like a few slices of carrots, potato or garlic. I like the idea of a ceramic blade so I decided to give this one a shot.

I liked this slicer okay but it could be better built, even at this price. I decided to make a video review in order to show it in action. I hope that you find it useful. Thanks!

Note:
I guess I forgot to turn my remote mic back on for the Bron mandoline piece. Sorry about that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2011 6:54:19 AM PST
JennyCT says:
Thank you!!! I received the julienne mandoline slicer, and I could not figure out how to use it, most probably because it doesn't work that well and I though I was doing something wrong! Great video.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011 8:35:00 AM PST
Hi Jenny,

I am glad that my review helped. Thank you for your kind comments!

Tim

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 2:33:01 PM PST
Greg B says:
Thanks for the review. The vid was helpful in the decsion making process. Great Idea and price but obviously there are some design issues. Most pros use no gaurd and a light "hand" when slicing so the flexibility issue can be cicumvented but do this at your own risk as you know.
Try slicing in both directions. I believe the design is for saving time. I realize that traditional mandolins slice in one direction but I believe this one is sharp on both sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 3:12:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2011 3:13:12 PM PST
Hi Greg,

I glad that you found my review to be helpful. I agree with the "light hand" technique. I now use a Kevlar glove when I use this slicer (mostly on garlic.) I looked at it again and unfortunately the back and forth won't work. The blade is only sharpened on one slide that the control for the thickness of the cut is only good for the downward slice.

Thanks again for your comment!

Posted on May 13, 2011 6:38:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 13, 2011 6:40:07 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 8:40:48 AM PDT
John Emerson says:
A superb review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 8:51:33 AM PDT
Thank you very much, John!

Tim

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 5:28:19 AM PDT
Jim Braley says:
Thank you for the excellent review. I had an MIU mandoline with several blades which worked very well, but was simply too big and cumbersome so I sold it on ebay. Now (of course) I'm looking for something smaller but this one has too many issues. Looked at the Microplane V-slicer here but I see that it has been discontinued on the Microplane site. Can you recommend a good adjustable V-slicer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 6:40:06 AM PDT
Hi James,

First, thank you for you kind comment. As far a good V-slicer, I am in the same boat as you, still looking. If I find something good I will post the info here. Thanks again!

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:31:50 AM PST
This is a very helpful review. The catching on the slide back up would drive me nuts. I won't waste my time with this one! Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›