Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller coaster ride: bliss, surprise and sorrow, April 17, 2001
This review is from: A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (Hardcover)
First off, I'm a heavy duty fan of GRRM. I've read over a 100 different fantasy authors in my time (started at 12; I'm now 32). Took about 5 years off from the genre b/c I felt it was all getting too formulaic and cliched. Typical archetype character who turns out to be the missing heir or boy wonder who saves the world against the Dark Lord.
So, when I came back to fantasy at the end of 1999, I read the usual: Goodkind, Jordan, etc. and then someone told me about GRRM and man, that was the kicker!
Here are the reasons to choose GRRM. I've also listed the reasons not to choose him to make it fair b/c I know their are certain personalities who won't like this series:
(1) YOU ARE TIRED OF FORMULAIC FANTASY: good lad beats the dark lord against impossible odds; boy is the epitome of good; he and all his friends never die even though they go through great dangers . . . the good and noble king; the beautiful princess who falls in love with the commoner boy even though their stations are drastically different . . . the dark lord is very evil and almost one sided at times . . . you get the idea. After reading this over and over, it gets old.
(2) YOU ARE TIRED OF ALL THE HEROES STAYING ALIVE EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE UNDER CONSTANT DANGER: this gets even worse where the author kills a main hero off but that person comes back later in the story. Or, a hero does die but magic brings him back.
This sometimes carries to minor characters where even they may not die, but most fantasy authors like to kill them off to show that some risked the adventure and perished.
(4) YOU LOVE SERIOUS INTRIGUE WITHOUT STUPID OPPONENTS: lots of layering; lots of intrigue; lots of clever players in the game of thrones. Unlike other fantasy novels, one side, usually the villain, is stupid or not too bright.
(5) YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BIASED OPINIONS AND DIFFERENT TRUTHS: GRRM has set this up where each chapter has the title of one character and the whole chapter is through their viewpoint. Interesting tidbit is that you get their perception of events or truths. But, if you pay attention, someone else will mention a different angle of truth in the story that we rarely see in other novels. Lastly and most importantly, GRRM doesn't try to tell us which person is right in their perception. He purposelly leaves it vague so that we are kept guessing.
(6) LEGENDS: some of the most interesting characters are those who are long gone or dead. We never get the entire story but only bits and pieces; something that other fantasy authors could learn from to heighten suspense. Additionally, b/c the points of views are not congruent, we sometimes get different opinions.
(7) WORDPLAY: if you're big on metaphors and description, GRRM is your guy. Almost flawless flow.
(8) LOTS OF CONFLICT: all types, too; not just fighting but between characters through threats and intrigue.
(9) MULTILAYERED PLOTTING; SUB PLOTS GALORE: each character has their own separate storyline; especially as the story continues and everyone gets scattered. This is one of the reasons why each novel is between 700-900 pages.
(10) SUPERLATIVE VARIED CHARACTERS: not the typical archetypes that we are used to in most fantasy; some are gritty; few are totally evil or good; GRRM does a great job of changing our opinions of characters as the series progress. This is especially true of Jaime in book three.
(11) REALISTIC MEDIEVAL DIALOGUE: not to the point that we can't understand it but well done.
(12) HEAPS OF SYMOBLISM AND PROPHECY: if you're big on that.
(13) EXCELLENT MYSTERIES: very hard to figure out the culprits; GRRM must have read a lot of mystery novels.
(14) RICHLY TEXTURED FEMALE CHARACTERS: best male author on female characters I have read; realistic on how women think, too.
(15) LOW MAGIC WORLD: magic is low key; not over the top so heroes can't get out of jams with it.
(1) YOU LIKE YOUR MAIN CHARACTERS: GRRM does a good job of creating more likeable characters after a few die. But, if that isn't your style, you shouldn't be reading it. He kills off several, not just one, so be warned.
(2) DO NOT CARE FOR GRITTY GRAY CHARACTERS: if you like more white and gray characters, this may unsettle you. I suggest Feist or Goodkind or Dragonlance if you want a more straight forward story with strong archetypes.
(3) MULTIPLE POINTS OF VIEWS TURN YOU OFF: if you prefer that the POVS only go to a few characters, this might be confusing for you.
(4) SWEARING, SEX: there's a lot of it in this book just as there is in real life. If you have delicate ears, this book may upset you.
(5) YOU DEMAND CLOSURE AT THE END OF EVERY BOOK: this isn't the case for all stories in the series. Some are still going on; some have been resolved; others have been created and are moving on.
(6) IF YOU WANT A TARGET OR SOMEONE TO BLAME: this can be done to some extent but not as much. This is b/c he doesn't try to make anyone necessarily good or evil.
(7) ARCHETYPES: some readers like archetypal characters because it's comfortable; we like the good young hero (sort of like Pug in Feist's THE RIFTWAR SAGA); it's familiar and we sometimes like to pretend we're this upcoming, great hero. You wont' get much of this in GRRM with the exception of one or two characters. There really aren't any super heroes compared to all the other characters as it's more grittier and no one is shooting fireballs every milisecond or carrying around some super powerful sword.
(8) LENGTH: you don't want to get into a long fantasy epic series. In that case, look for shorters works as this is biiig.
(9) PATRIARCHY: men are most of the main characters with lots of power (one female exception). While this is realistic of the medieval era, some readers may not prefer this if they want more girl power, so to speak.
By the way, if you don't want to commit to a big book until you know the author better, check out his short story, THE HEDGE KNIGHT, in LEGENDS.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2008 5:44:24 AM PDT
Book Addict says:
What a fantastic review! And, without spoiling the plot. Excellent comments, pros and cons. Fantasy is not my usual pick in fiction, but I love SF and was curious about Martin's works so I bought Book 1 in the Song of Ice and Fire series. Though I haven't begun reading it yet, I now know what to expect and won't be shocked or disappointed. Thank you for your insightful critique!

Posted on Jun 15, 2008 11:25:48 AM PDT
El Tombo says:
Item 10 for your "Not" list:
(10) INCOMPLETE: you don't want to get started reading an unfinished series (which may wind up permanently unfinished) where new books come out years behind schedule.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 12:24:00 AM PST
You're welcome.

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 8:48:59 PM PDT
Great review. I also felt as if my favorite genre was getting into a rut. GRRM has completely reshaped the genre. I absolutely love his work. I got turned on to this series by a friend and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for taking the time to articulate what I have been thinking for a long time.

Posted on Jun 15, 2009 9:11:35 PM PDT
M. C. Kelly says:
I totally agree with "Book Addict". An outstanding review, which should surely entice many to take the GRRM plunge. I, like many, have rarely been so locked into a writer, it's hard to come back to earth when you finish a chapter and close the book. This review is so insightful regarding the genre that I believe it serves well as a guide to the writing of fantasy in the 21st century. Many thanks.

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 2:17:58 PM PDT
Thanks for the excellent review. I like the way you break it down, so a long review does not become tedious. Also, you offer many insights into readers' expectations. Now I want to see all your book reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 2:35:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2010 2:35:31 PM PDT
Thanks. This review took me a LONG time to write so keep in mind that some of my other reviews are shorter, especially if I just transfer them over from Twitter/Facebook here I'm limited to a few sentences.

BTW, you're welcome!

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 10:18:21 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 2:17:21 PM PST
I didn't say that, Richard. I was referring to other fantasy novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 10:13:57 PM PST
My Mistake, I guess I misread it and stopped reading before I realized you were giving examples of other books. Well, Great review anyway, I try to stay away from reviews just in case of spoilers, so when I thought I read one I was kicking myself for not listening. But on another note this is a great series so far. I've never read a book this long before, so I'm excited on continuing with the rest of the series. Anyway thanks for the response.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›