ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but I like springpad better, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Evernote (App)
Phone: Droid X(Android 2.2.1, liberty 2.01)

I'll review evernote itself, and then review the alternatives...

Evernote Pros:
This is a great app, for a service that has been around for awhile. It works well, and the combination of this with the premium service is, well, powerful. I think it's clear at this point that evernote is a solid piece of software, making a lot of peoples lives easier. The searching capabilities, sharing, and ocr push it to the next level. The UI is simple to use, and it really i seasy to figure everything out.

Evernote Cons:
It has a pretty large install size for a note taking app, amazons version is way bigger than straight off the android market. And the terms of service, if actually read, would turn a lot of people off. The premium services are nice, but I don't know many who can justify $50 a year on them.

That's right, evernote is not the only one at this block-party. It's been around so long, and well marketed, that I think services like springpad and catch are still in the midst of trying to get peoples attention. They all do basic note taking and organization well. I think most people would be satisfied with any of these services. It really might take you trying each, to find the one you like the most. Id like to urge people to try these other services, as I really do like springpad better than evernote. Catch has a pretty plain ui as well, and does work well, but it wasn't for me. If the premium services for evernote weren't $50/year it would be a no-brainer. But the fact of the matter is that they are. And for us, amateurs ;)...Who refuse to drop that kind of dough on something like evernote. The playing field becomes completely level...

Springpad's website has been great, easy to use..very customizable, and a lot of options. I was already in love with this service, then out of no where the company released a ground-breaking ui overhaul, especially concerning the springpad mobile app. It's amazing now, looks exactly like what appears on the website. Works extremely well, smooth, auto-syncing..and easy to share to and from it. The widgets in my opinion are better than evernotes, and i enjoy using this application a lot more as well. It has everything i'd ever want, Springpad ftw.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2011 8:34:19 AM PDT
Thanks for the tip about Springpad. It's definitely my new favorite app!

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 8:09:30 AM PST
One of the best app reviews I've read in a long time. Thank you so much for your insights.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 11:20:38 AM PDT
By comparing the size of the download for the desktop version of Evernote with the size of the download from the Google Play store, you indicate that you don't know that this app has different versions for the various platforms on which it runs, which are: PC, Mac, Web, Android and IOS. It automatically syncs across all those platforms. Had you taken the time to use it on, say, your phone and your desktop, you'd have found how useful that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 11:52:29 AM PDT
M. Stefanko says:
glad you found it helpful :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:02:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 12:05:55 PM PDT
M. Stefanko says:
When the review was written a year ago the comment about the difference in size between the versions was referring to the size of the download that was on amazon appstore and google play, both android versions. Just two different versions of the same app, that were wildly different sizes at-the-time. Sorry if that was not very clear in the review. But although I only use the android and web versions of springpad, it will sync across all of these platforms as well. Definitely useful, but multiple services will handle this feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:17:59 PM PDT
Thanks for the update.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:43:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 6:45:22 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:22:35 AM PST
hahah ...whaaat?

I don't know anyone on here though, I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. Look at most reviews across amazon, few are great despite their rating, but most fail to compare products to alternatives let alone completely cover why one product is good at all. You should be taking a stab at why amazon reviews work the way they do. I wrote this review very early in the life cycle of amazon's app store. Was early enough that it caught some wind, and now has enough that it's hard for new reviews to compete. At the time of commenting, the app store had far less active members. Reviews were not buried as fast, and as soon as a review hit the top 3, it became even more likely to continue to rise as that is the review people actually look at. If for some reason you think this isn't a good review, a lot of the reviews being posted we're not well thought out but just general comments about the products. I can assure you that I took the time to try to write something that would be useful to someone at least. But I can't comment on why amazon has set up reviews in this manner--where new, and especially in the digital-space, more relevant reviews fall to the way-side while reviews such as this stick to the top. The app universe is a living organism, it is changing constantly, with every update made to these products, my review becomes less applicable.

Honestly, sorry if you didn't find my review helpful, but i'm not sure what you are looking for either. I gave my theory as to why it's at the top. But what is your purpose here. Was your intention actually noble, trying to increase the quality of reviews. For some reason I doubt that, as soon as I saw "mutual friends gaming the system" I feel far more like you're just here to complain. Which I guess is fine, I just find irony in someone saying other people didn't add to the discussion, when they themselves are not adding any value to the discussion. But really, what did you want to see here. This is not a giant blog post covering each app individually, nor should it be. I rated evernote highly but urged people to try it's competitors, introducing a very strong competitor. To me, even without spelling out pros and cons, this is valuable. This genre of app you can easily walk with blinders up, use what everyone else is using. There's enough free alternatives that evernote premium was never 'for' everyone. And comparing the base apps without paying anything, the app themselves are remarkably similar. The differences worth noting are moreso cosmetic and user experience focused. This may of changed in the last 6 months, may be i'll update the review, but I don't think that's what you're looking for either.

If you do care about the quality of reviews, I find your kindle review disconcerting:

"The second one, I lost (or it got stolen). That's not Amazon's fault. But when I called in, Amazon refused to use the device's wifi access history to at least find out what city it was in, in case somebody found it or stole it and was using it."

Low rating and the majority of the review and cause of the low rating was because it was lost/stolen and amazon wouldn't break it's own policy to tell you where it was located. As misfortunate as losing something is, the 2 star review was more a review of amazon support and their policies than that of the product itself. Very little content about what you love or hate about the kindle. Apps/services have been created to use the wifi and track the location of them, apple isn't doing this themselves. I'm actually almost positive if you called apple about a lost item, they'd be no more helpful about tracking it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:16:01 AM PST
I find people's reviews that are poor, not because of the product they are reviewing, but because of some peripheral issue both disconcerting and useless.

As for EverNote, I've been using it for a couple of years and find it invaluable, and one of the main features that make it so is the ability to search on any word in the document.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 10:43:19 AM PST
Sandra says:
So then SAY THAT rather than carping about reviewer style. Personally, as a very new seeker for a program to do what EverNote does, I appreciate hearing what else is out there. I'm against cloud storage for various reasons including security and needing consistent on line access which I don't always have when I want to use it. I love my v2 iPod which saves my calendar right there and I can use it at the doctors office. Then when I walk in the house, iPod syncs automatically to my Google Calendar via my DSL, and to my Netbook the next time I'm on it. Now I want more and to remove my calendar from Google because of the proprietary changes Google is making and security issues.

If anyone knows of one or more programs where the software and data can be kept on my netbook and backed up to a USB data storage and also sync both directions to an iPod, please post here. Cloud/web storage is ok as an addition but I don't want my only copies of my data in some corporate server with unknown intentions.

to M. Stefanko: thanks for the extensive and informative sharing in this thread.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›