Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement seems to work well, February 3, 2011
This review is from: Yamaha YPG-235 76-Key Portable Grand Piano Premium Pack (Electronics)
I received this keyboard on 2/2/11. As always, I was impressed with how quickly I received my order from Amazon.com. However, within minutes of setting up the keyboard, I noticed that two keys on the right side of the keyboard didn't work. One key simply didn't work AT ALL, and one key seemed to have a short and would only play after pressing it like 3 or 4 times in a row. Amazon is making it easy to return/exchange this keyboard, so I'm hopeful that the replacement is decent. However, after this experience and reading other reviews online of this exact problem, I am very concerned about the build quality of this keyboard, despite having heard good things over the years about Yamaha.

I'll update this review after I receive the replacement in a week or so. Hopefully I won't have to switch to another brand, but Casio maybe the next one I look at (need to keep this purchase affordable).

UPDATE: I received a replacement keyboard in record time: less than 2 days! I was at first bummed that I wouldn't be able to test the new keyboard over the weekend, but Amazon got the replacement out immediately and it was here early Friday afternoon (I had only submitted the return early Wednesday evening). Amazon did create some confusion, however, by on the one hand telling me that UPS would be picking up the defective keyboard from my house, and then e-mailing me a label and instructions for dropping the keyboard off at a local UPS center. Then UPS added to the confusion when I called to confirm the pick-up at my house: they said that one hadn't been arranged. So then I bring the keyboard to a UPS center, and then find a UPS pick-up attempt label on my door. Whatever...I got the defective keyboard to UPS and back to Amazon.

As for the keyboard: it sounds great. I've only just begun to play around with it, but the keys feel good, and the variety of quality sounds is incredible. I'll be combining this keyboard with Ableton Live Intro to create music. I spent several hours after receiving the keyboard testing the keys (I was concerned after the defective unit) and checking out the various functions. I haven't even scratched the surface yet, but I am giving the keyboard a decent rating. I'll report back if my opinion changes over time.

The headphones that were included with this package deal are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. It's not worth my time to return them, especially since I already went through the hassle of returning the entire first keyboard package. The right channel of the headphones didn't work AT ALL right out of the package. These no-name, god-awful headphones are already in the trash. I ordered the package to get the power adapter and the stand anyway, so it's not a big lose. Still, you don't like to feel ripped off in any way.

The stand that came with this package is quite sturdy. It certainly isn't anything fancy, but it was easy to put together and it seems strong enough to last years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2011 1:36:40 PM PDT
does this keyboard have a drum kit mode?

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:54:26 PM PDT
whats the shipping weight'?

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 5:31:28 PM PDT
fxman says:
does this keyboard come with a 'sustain' pedal?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2013 4:59:59 AM PDT
No, but there is one available on Amazon for $20. M-Audio SP-2 Universal Sustain Pedal with Piano Style Action for Electronic Keyboards

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 9:12:52 AM PST
Tre' says:
My fiance' is looking to learn the piano. her friend in another state has a keyboard that the keys light up and she really liked that feature. Does this have lighted keys? Also would this make a good beginners keyboard or should I consider something else? Please forgive my ignorance, do not know much about pianos or keyboards and I have a brain injury from my military duty and thought I should ask questions before I spend money. I can't ask her much because I'm trying to surprise her with something for Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2014 6:28:10 PM PDT
Yamaha YPG-235 76-Key Portable Grand Piano Premium Pack
For buyer info, I found a tabulation of some of these product at this site that readers might want to read; including lighted keys and weight of the models. Please click the link below:

Yamaha PSRE-343 61-Key Portable Keyboard