Most helpful critical review
165 of 196 people found the following review helpful
Perfect except for one HUGE problem . . .
on October 15, 2006
Over the last eleven years I have purchased this item on three different occasions. Nonetheless, I will not buy it this time. Though the feeder's capacity it excellent, cleaning it is absolutely impossible.
As hummingbird enthusiasts know, these creatures are exceptionally sensitive to chemicals. Not only shouldn't you clean these feeders with ANY kind of dish-soap, but you CANNOT clean them with bleach. This can potentially kill the birds. Likewise, hummingbirds are sensitive to mold. Here's the catch-22!! Unfortunately, as noted by other reviewers, this feeder's reservoir does not disassemble, and cleaning this feeder properly is exceptionally difficult, IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
One reviewer wrote to use grains of rice to clean this feeder. This is a brilliant idea . . . and if you buy this feeder, try that!! But, please, don't use bleach.
As for me, I cannot stand another year of cleaning this demonic "thing." So, off to the hummzinger dish . . . which is not as attractive, but it is safer (simply because I cannot invest the time in cleaning this!!)