Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

48 reviews of this, and it doesn't release for 3 months

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2008 9:20:17 PM PST
Xmortis says:
What the heck is going on here? I am looking at the preorder for the golden compass...it has 48 customer reviews! this item does not release until April 29th! How can you review a priduct that hasnt been released yet? Give it a 5 star review because you liked the film in theaters...but how did the dvd look? Was the sound quality good? You don't know, because you haven't seen the DVD yet. Get a life!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 1:30:42 PM PST
JD-UT says:
The mass majority of people buy a DVD to view the film, not the special features, therefore the majority of reviews will be based on the film not the special features.

As for something as basic as sound quality; DVD's have been around for long enough that any film made by a major production studio will have great sound and picture quality when transferred to DVD.

Get a life!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008 10:34:42 PM PDT
ari180 says:
Hmmm.
To people who have found something -- a book, a movie, whatever -- that so engages them that they want to share their thoughts and feelings with other people who might have been so moved, you cavil and whinge and urge them to "get a life." You yourself, however, are moved to post your "thoughts" (I'm trying to be kind here) on, not any transcendant work of art, or any human achievement, but on the crucial questions of people reviewing a movie in one form (theatrical) for people who might consider buying the very same movie in another form (the DVD), and presumably might benefit from the insights and experiences of the viewers fo the first form.
Now, movies, in whatever form, are clearly worth the discussion and the sharing of responses and insights -- that's why these forums are here at all. And this movie in particular is even more clearly worth the discussion, since there are all these people happily coming here to do just that.
But pissing and moaning about how other people must not have lives because they dare to review movies before they're released on DVD -- that I'm not so sure is worthy of discussion. Maybe it is, though -- in the snarly-old-men corners of the interwebs. You know, the place where they all grump at each other about how those obnoxious kids won't stay off their lawns? I'm sure you'd feel right at home there.
Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 7:31:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2008 7:37:18 AM PDT
>How can you review a priduct that hasnt been released yet?

I asked Amazon this very question. Their answer was basically "There's no harm in it."

I disagree with that. But they are selling the stuff, and letting people create "buzz" about products probably helps them make money. It's pure-and-simple marketing, and not a lot different from letting producers post long and glowing reviews of their own products.

This is a good lesson on how much you trust you should place in the reviews. People review products they have never owned. People who stand to gain from your purchases post reviews, which will invariably be marketing BS.

Caveat emptor.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008 7:30:19 PM PDT
joeyspank says:
We just watched the DVD and even our kids noticed that the fight scene with the bears was different on the DVD than in the theater. Way less exciting, gruesome. No jaw sliding across the ice. What's up? And the end didn't have the scene showing Daniel Craig getting away from the Magesterium as seen by Lyra through the alethiometer. Why the changes?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions