s95, sx230 hs, or elph 300 hs? I think I've boiled it down to these three: the PowerShot S95, the PowerShot SX230 HS, and the PowerShot ELPH 300 HS.

I'm looking for good Canon compacts. I'd like the extensive features for manual controls and such. I'd just like a good-working, sleek camera to take anywhere.

Any insight? I'd especially appreciate opinion if you own one (or more) of them. Thanks!
asked by Emma on July 30, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I don't suppose anyone else has anything to add to this discussion? I am in a similar boat in that I am deciding between the S95 and the ELPH 300 HS.

The S95 definitely takes better quality pictures because of its larger sensor, and I like the idea of taking HDR shots, but there are tradeoffs. The 300 has 24mm vs S95's 28mm. Also, the 300 has 30 fps full HD video, whereas the S95 only has 24 fps 720p. The S95's video is definitely choppier with the lower frame rate.

Also, the 300 is literally have the price right now ($150 to $300). I want to finally get a high-quality camera (but still a compact), and the S95 seems to be it. But the wider angle, higher frame rate video, and substantially lower price of the ELPH 300 HS is causing me to hesitate.

Any comments on how much these things bothered you, S95 owners, if they bothered you at all?
James answered on November 20, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I tested all 3 before buying the 300 HS. It's noticeably quicker than the others (and MUCH faster than it's brother, the 500 HS). This may/may not be a big factor for you, but it was for me.
larz answered on August 3, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So what did you decided? I am in the same place.
Apple Pie answered on September 11, 2011

A
Personally I think the S95 will be the best for me. Though the ELPH looks sooo pretty to me and has a 8 fps burst mode, it doesn't have the necessary manual settings I need. The ELPH 300 HS would be best for a casual teen photographer. The SX230 and S95 are, from what I found from research, almost the same besides how they look.. I generally like the S95 and from reccommendations I think the S95 is the best bet.
Emma answered on September 11, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›