Do safety razors work well in the shower? Hello all,

I have been using multi-blade razors for several years but am dissatisfied with pretty much any brand because they tend to clog too easily and end up dull in no time. I usually shave while taking a hot shower because my skin is rather sensitive, so I was wondering whether a safety razor would be a valid alternative.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
asked by Edo on May 30, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
votes
Take the time to wash your face with soap early in the shower, so your beard can hydrate, apply Shaving creme/soap, take it slow. Works well, been doing that for 40 years.
B. Kaufman answered on July 22, 2011

A
votes
I've been using mine in the shower, just as I did with the disposables. Works pretty much as well as when taking the time to do the whole soap/brush thing at the sink - just a different way of going about it.
What's really cool about this one is that it is heavy enough that you can't go whipping it around your face like with the disposables, so you end up naturally slow down and use at the proper speed for it to do it's best job.
Derick Deg answered on May 31, 2011

A
vote
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Edo answered on July 21, 2011

A
votes
Yes ... they work best in the shower ... and especially after you've been in a while ... and even more especially after you wash your hair. But after you've finished your shower ... don't leave the razor there. shake it dry and store it in a dry, still place ... like your medicine cabinet. Also loosen the top of the razor so the blade isn't stressed and so is allowed to be flat(un-curved) but not loose ... and then when you want to use it again just screw it back down tight. And never touch the blade edge ... not for cleaning or anything. Clean blade only with a water stream.
Just FYI ... I find that if I follow these rules and use Platinum-Chromium blades then a single blade will last 2 months shaving once every day. I've been shaving with DE razors for over 50 years and following these rules for over 25 years. Happy shaving1
The Happy Woodworker answered on April 25, 2014

A
votes
votes

I've been shaving exclusively with two butterfly open type DE razors for over 50 years (they both belonged to my father). This is what I've learned. For fellows with a normal beard and who shave daily a good DE blade will last 2 months ... IF:
1. It is a chromium-platinum blade (platinum of prime importance). Additionally ... Platinum is soothing and removes fire ants from the blade. 2. You shave exclusively in the shower (after washing your hair). 3. Never leave the razor in the shower ... store both razor and blade together in your medicine cabinet (where its nice, dry, and still). 4. Shake the razor off well before you put it away (do not rub the razor blade edge with anything ... ever). 5. Clean the blade from time to time (in the shower) by taking the blade out and holding it in the shower water stream ... always put it back in the razor with the same side down (don't turn it over) ... and never touch or rub the blade edge at all ... ever. 6. Before putting it in the medicine cabinet loosen the razor grip on the blade a bit (not so loose that it flaps around but loose enough so the blade straightens out and isn't bent).

No special creams, brushes, or other accouterments are required for the blade to last 2 months.

However ... one thing that can be helpful (though not necessary) to make the shaving smoother and to allow the razor to glide more smoothly over your skin is to apply a slick cream (but nothing that acts as an abrasive ... so no soap) on the bearded portion of your face while in the shower (a very small amount will do). A moisturizing hair conditioner works fine this way ... and I've found that it doesn't shorten the useful life of the blade.

I've found that if I follow all of these rules religiously ... then a PLATINUM-chromium blade will last two months. If I break any of these rules (especially forgetting and leaving the razor in the shower or messing with the blade cutting edge at all) then the blade's useful life is shortened. Happy shaving! «
The Happy Woodworker answered on April 25, 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›