Thanks for all your answers everyone.
[UPDATED] asked by GumbyTheCat on December 29, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 answers
A
No you still need a router. A switch allows you to extend coverage to additional wired devices. I have a router and three switches because the router only has 5 ports. I connect the switches to the router and now I have 18 ports in different parts of the building I am in.
Doug Cameron answered on December 29, 2012
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No. It is essentially and Ethernet splitter. I have a Ethernet line run to a room in my house from my router, this allows me to connect multiple devices to that Ethernet line instead of a wireless connection.
Tracey answered on December 29, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No. I have a router to connect me to the internet and a switch connected to the router so I can connect to additional devices in my home. Here is a link to a more complete explanation of the differences between a router and a switch. http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworkhardware/f/routervsswitch.htm
gonja01 answered on December 29, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, this is a 'switch' which splits the signal from your router to multiple wired devices...
andrew hauman answered on December 29, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
First of all this is only a wired switch, so it won't connect any wireless devices. This switch only allows you to connect wired devices within the same network (i.e. your home network). A router allows you to "route" between more than one network (i.e. the Internet and your home network). A wireless router would allow you to connect 2 networks together and provide wireless access to your home devices, a wireless access point works similar to a wired switch by providing wireless access and extending your local home network, but not connecting other networks.
Enrique answered on December 29, 2012

A
No, you cannot use this as a router. as all have said below. it is mainly used, as others have stated, to increase how many devices you can plug into your intranet and internet.
David Russell answered on December 29, 2012

A
No. A switch can connect devices together to create a home network environment but does not control the flow of information like a router does. You would still need either a wired or wireless router to connect to the internet properly. Also when using a switch, be careful on your configuration of devices as you can create a bottle neck which will hurt the performance of all devices using the switch. Switches are great for adding like multiple printers to a home network so that all computers on the network have access to all printers without using the sharing concept of the operating systems. My Roku, 3 printers and NAS are connected to our network by using a 8 port Gibabit Ethernet Switch. The switch connects into our network by connecting to a 5 port Gigabit Wireless Router which has 4 wireless computers attached along with the ethernet switch.
TexRex answered on December 29, 2012
Comments (2) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The short answer is "no" unless you do not require WiFi capability (the SE2500 does not support WiFi). To further answer your question, there is a nice write up on the difference between a router and a switch:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworkhardware/f/routervsswitch.htm
Basically, a router (nore expensive than a switch) has the capability to allow the network administrator more flexibility in configuring the local network (there are all sorts of reasons for wanting specific configurations).
OphirDude answered on December 29, 2012

A
I agree with the others this is NOT a router. I run a cat5e from one of my router ports to another room and went into the SWITCH . Now this allows me to hook up more devices (ie: blueray, compters, printers, etc) without running cables for each one all over the house. It is just a great extension from one of your ports on a router.
Danny Crawford answered on December 29, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This will not replace the router, this is a switch only. Get a router e4200v2 instead
Sajeed A. Dudhwala answered on December 29, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›