Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2009 6:02:33 PM PDT
ynot says:
I have a really hard time buying any book whose author/publisher does not respect the customer enough to allow seeing a sampling of the book before buying. It makes me suspicious of the quality. Is the writing that bad? Does the author think that inspecting a few pages will lead to fewer sales?

I really do want to know *this* author's rationale for not allowing peeks inside his book before I spend my precious money. Perhaps this point is covered in the book, but I guess I'll never know since I cannot even see the table of contents.

Posted on Mar 13, 2009 11:03:33 AM PDT
If Shepard's book, Aiming at Amazon, were stocked at Borders for Barnes & Noble, customers could browse it for content and coverage just like they would a book on Traveling to Spain or a book on planning for retirement.

Shepard, the author, is also the book's publisher. Amazon allows publishers to use their Look Inside the Book [LIB] feature at no cost. You are correct in thinking Shepard doesn't take advantage of LIB because sales would suffer if he did.

I bought the book last year. It is worth its current $12 price to absolute beginners in self-publishing. Not a penny more.

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 11:34:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2009 12:07:29 AM PDT
Testmaster, as you suggest, my reasons not to use Search Inside are discussed in detail in the book. Meanwhile, the table of contents you wanted to see is included in one of my AmazonConnect blog posts on the book's detail page here on Amazon, along with sample passages of text.

Aaron

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2010 6:40:52 AM PST
I buy each new version of this book, and I have reviewed his latest before buying . Aaron releases a draft of his publishing books before going to print. So those who are serious enough about publishing to belong to one of the publishing mailing lists have already reviewed the book in draft.

Unfortunately LIB is too often used to download a book for free. Aaron recommends against it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2010 7:02:09 PM PST
Try the following link:

http://newselfpublishing.com/index.html#blog

It contains a PDF version of the book. You can review it before deciding to purchase the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 5:14:12 AM PST
I can assure you that the book "Aiming at Amazon" gives good value. For a fuller discussion please download
my page:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
In this document I give mini reviews of over 30 books related to publishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 9:49:35 AM PDT
Catherine S says:
I totally agree with this post, I can't even counting how many books I have bought thought Amazon that my final choice was based on me liking what I read in a sampling. Truth of the matter letting the reader sample a book totally ups the sales of it, if it's any good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 16, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Aiming at Amazon: The NEW Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing on Amazon.com
Aiming at Amazon: The NEW Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing on Amazon.com by Aaron Shepard (Paperback - January 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (179)