Why season 6 and the finale diminished Lost as a whole

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 122 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2010 9:15:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2010 9:33:01 AM PDT
Since the whole story devolved down to: MIB vs Jacob, pretty much everything to do with the Dharma initiative, the others from season 3, and the freighter from season 4 ends up being filler.

IF the freighter assault would have contributed to MIB's season 6 plan, it wouldn't have been filler.
IF the others kidnapping Walt & Jack et al. would have contributed to Jacob thwarting MIB's plan it wouldn't have been filler.
IF the Dharma initiative would have added anything to the MIB/Jacob conflict it wouldn't have been filler.

This is why the final season and the finale make 75% of lost pointless.

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 9:23:54 AM PDT
I totally agree with this. At the end of the final season I was really left with the mindset of "what was the point of doing that?" It was really disappointing to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 1:36:36 AM PDT
J. Lee says:
I think it is incorrect to say that the freighter is filler. It's the freighter and the helicopter on said freighter that enabled Jack and company to leave the Island, which in turn makes it so Locke has to leave the Island to bring them back. And it is thru Locke's death that the MIB was able to convince Ben to kill Jacob... so again, I don't think the whole freighter thing can be considered filler. And I'm sure a similar argument could be made for the Dharma Initiative... and also for the kidnapping by the Others, if you scratch below the surface a little... well, all the kidnappings except for Walt, which is pretty easy to explain in any case. His case had more to do with real life than plot. The actor playing Walt was growing quickly and would be difficult to explain in the show how in the span of a couple of months, why he changed so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 8:54:48 AM PDT
J. Lee: I think your connecting the dots regarding the freighter is serviceable fan fiction but it doesn't change the fact that you can equally dismiss the whole arc as irrelevant without impacting the MIB vs. Jacob conflict. There isn't the slightest evidence to suggest that the arrival of Widmore's freighter was engineered by the MIB (or Jacob either).

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 4:22:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2010 8:02:53 PM PDT
Ada Davis says:
After the finale, I realized that half of season 6 was completely pointless, because nothing in the "sideways flash" world was important. After endless discussions about Jack's son, Dogan's son, Jack's marriage to Juliet, the identity of the people adopting Claire's baby, Locke's impending marriage to Helen, Locke's waffling over whether or not to have surgery, Jin and Sun not being married, whether Sun and baby would survive the gun shot wound, etc. etc. etc. - we learned that none of it meant crap because none of it was real.

Subtract the side flashes, and there's still a boatload (and planeload) of pointless scenes that went nowhere and meant nothing: the whole thing with the sonic fence being put up on Hydra Island, all of the Jacob/Ilana plans to stop Samuel (and the persistent refusal of anyone to actually give a name to the MIB, even though he had one), the whole Jacob/Sammy flashback that essentially told us nothing we didn't already know, the whispers turning out to be trapped ghosts, the whole "island sickness" that supposedly claimed Claire and Sayid, the names in the tower and the cave, etc. etc. etc. Subtract that out and you are left with material that could have been moved to Season 5 as a grand finale.

And after 6 seasons, the solution to the Smoke Monster was to remove a big stone stopper from the island's energy bottle, do in the now-mortal MIB, then put the stopper back in the bottle. Ummm ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 6:48:36 PM PDT
Jake says:
Everything is a chain, leading to events and getting the characters where they need to go. Besides, the Jacob/MIB thing didn't matter too much in the end. What ultimately mattered where the characters and their incredible journey.

Posted on Jul 13, 2010 8:11:07 PM PDT
Personally watching 1 - 6 seasons of this, I have no idea what happened in the end but thought this series was pretty damn good and entertaining, it was more well I have no idea WTF is going on but loving it during the finale.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:49:01 PM PDT
Jake says: ...What ultimately mattered where the characters and their incredible journey.

If what ultimately mattered was the characters Lost would have been cancelled after two seasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 2:27:12 PM PDT
Jake says:
Dale, you obviously were not satisfied with the final season. I was. Everything that happened since season one was significant in that it brought these characters together. The best mysteries are meant to be unsolved. What answer could possibly have the Monster make any sense? It's pure evil. That's it. As for filler, there wasn't much at all. The freighter storyline ultimately killed Locke, setting the stage for Season 6. Therefore, the freighter assault DIRECTLY began the rest of the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 2:28:16 PM PDT
What was important was that this all lead to pointless character deaths. What incredible journey?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 2:38:25 PM PDT
Jake says:
The "journey" was the series. And the show made a point: how you die doesn't matter. It's how you live your life. Sorry you hate the show. If you do, just stop posting. You can't make fans hate it.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 7:03:59 PM PDT
Jake, I consider myself a recovering fan and will gladly continue posting if it saves someone who has never seen the show the hours that were wasted. If anything, Lost apologists such as yourself should post your blind adoration on Lost fan-sites and not here on Amazon if you don't want to hear the hard truths about how the last season failed of a myriad of levels. I find your comment, "What answer could possibly have the Monster make any sense?" as perhaps the dividing line between those who hated the series conclusion and those who loved it: those who hated it have the imagination to know it could have been so much more than another cliched good brother vs. bad brother fairy tale. Like you, the writers took the easy way out and accepted 'nothing' as an alternative to something.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 7:47:22 PM PDT
Jake says:
Please, don't get personal. It's just my opinion. Everyone has their own. My friends loved the finale; you didn't. I totally respect that, dude. I just believe in letting people decide what they like on their own.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 6:15:56 AM PDT
Jake, I too believe in letting people decide what they like on their own but I also believe that people should be able to make informed decisions. With the Lost series concluded we have a complete product and half of that product's users have found it to be defective (much more than half if you include the people who quit using the product after a year or two). I think a lot of people wouldn't have invested their time in Lost if they knew that all the intriguing mysteries, the hooks if you will, would be dismissed as unimportant because the creators gave up in the home stretch and started emphasizing that Lost was a 'character' show. People need to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 10:04:32 AM PDT
Jake says:
That's true. As a person who loved the last few seasons, I can't fairly argue with you. I totally respect your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 2:01:14 PM PDT
M. Herzog says:
I'm a little confused about the post, as I think some of your issues are off. With respect to the assault on the freighter, if the assault hasn't happened, then the six wouldn't have left the island, nore would have Ben Linus or Locke. Ben wouldn't have killed Locke, none of them would have returned, with locke's body to the island and the MIB wouldn't have been able to take locke's identity and guilt/bully ben into killing Jacob. If you recall, MIB appeared as jack's father to get both ben and locke to turn the wagon wheel, and send them off the island. So I think it was a part of the plan. I also don't agree the dharma initaive had nothing to do with the conflict, as the MIB appeared to Ben when he was a young kid as Ben's mother, which began his association with his mother. The MIB clearly saw certain people as the potential loop hole, Locke, Ben, Eko. Without the dharma initative coming, no ben, no loophole, no dead jacob. But if you paid close attention to the names on the list in season 6, a few dharma people were "candidates" which suggests that the original dharma people were brought by jacob.

I understand frustration with th end, especially with the flashsideways being kind of a deus ex machina ending, but the show, while not answering everything, certainly linked alot of things, but it wasn't expostive. There was no episode where they said, the MIB's plan has forty-seven steps, and here's how it went, and how it was linked, it more something that was subtle, and in my opinion a little too subtle. Most fans don't pick up on things, like when they say Lost had never used the "light" before, when it had actually been referenced prior episodes of the show. But most people didn't pay attention, and were confused and frustrated. Ironically, the show's creators said from the begining they knew the ending would be controversial, and that's why they went dark and didn't answer any questions about the show after the ending aired. It's just a shame they couldn't have ended in a way that satisfied more fans.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 3:40:02 PM PDT
M. Herzog, I do respect the effort and I also understand how the events can be square pegged into round holes posthumously. I could disagree by pointing out that the freighter was sent by Widmore - a Jacob acolyte - to extract Ben so Widmore could reclaim leadership of the island, neither of which would be in the MIB's interest, but that isn't the point. My point is that because the writers lacked the spine to even refer back to Walt, the hatch, the freighter or the dharma initiative, all those story arcs can be equally dismissed or justified in how they impact the final season.

"Jacob had a thing for numbers." Really? I guess he had a thing for kidnapping kids, making women infertile, gassing women and children and playing yo-yo with Charles Widmore. Or were those the MIB's "things"? Who knows, none of that matters so long as Jack and Kate get to hold hands and walk into the light. Honestly?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 4:50:56 PM PDT
M. Herzog says:
Sorry, guess I misunderstood your first post. I get the frustration with the Jacob thing, and think the ending was very much a deus ex machina type thing, that kind of created a fake happy ending. I just saw in your first post your complaint was that there were a bunch of things that weren't addressed or answered, and I wasn't I guess that's where my confusion came from, I believe there were a lot of things that were addressed and were answered, specifically related to your complaints. I wasn't trying to fill holes, but give information I thought you might have missed, which I think you did as Widmore was not a Jacob acolyte at the time of the freighter incident in season 4. He was actually trying to get the island for himself, Jacob didn't come to him and seek his assistance (and thus allow him back) until after the entire freight thing occured. His orders to his men were not only to remove ben, but kill every person on the island (at least that's what ben indicated, and they certainly seemed intent on doing). I've just been a little more of a lost fan than most, listening to the podcast watching the special features on the discs, etc., so I've noticed a few more links than most, which is why I was trying to respond to your post.

But if your point is that they didn't try to link them in season 6 I wouldn't argue that, I would agree that they didn't. Like I said before, it wasn't written as an exposition season, they left the answers for the audience to find, or in some cases not answer altogether. I'm just curious to see if the epilogue on the season 6 coming out will answer anything important (hurley already said it contains a few more answers).

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 7:15:42 PM PDT
M Herzog, I appreciate you trying to fill in some details. The more I think of it though, it falls apart even more when you consider that we don't even know WHO kicked Widmore off the island in the first place: was it Jacob? was it the MIB impersonating Jacob? or was it just Ben making a power play? On top of that you have Ben saying every living thing on the island would die if Widmore came but then you have Faraday deactivating the poison gas because Widmore said that Ben would kill everyone on the island. These are a couple of good examples of how the creators threw EVERYTHING at the wall and couldn't be bothered to clean up after themselves. This is why newcomers need to be aware of where this show ends up.

This is also why I think lost fans should boycott this season on DVD and Blu-Ray BECAUSE of the marketing gimmick of an extra fifteen minutes of 'answers'. The last sad Lost gasp for dollars. Heck, the producers even said they were kicking themselves because they didn't start selling Lost merchandise way sooner. So much for integrity. So much for creating a masterpiece.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 8:31:13 PM PDT
M. Herzog says:
We do know who kicked Widmore off the island, it was ben because of Widmore breaking the rules. Ben was able make a power play when it was found out that Widmore was leaving the island, and had a child with an off islander. It was explained this broke "the rules" whatever they may be (I think this episode was a season 5 episode). I think its like I said before, there were a answers, there just more subtle.

As to the DVD and Blu-Ray, I don't want to give the wrong impression, when I buy it will be because I love the show. The fact that there is an epilogue on it is just a cool bonus. I just brought it up because I heard there might be some answers that you're interested in. Otherwise, like I said, I understand your grievances, just thought I'd try and answer some questions you seemed to have.

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 5:25:15 PM PDT
I completely disagree with the original poster. Season 6 did for me what every season did -- allowed me to use my brain and imagination. There are no missing answers I cannot fill in for myself. They may be the same ones the producers had in mind or they may be different. This show did what all good literature and no other tv shows do, they opened the viewer's mind up to thought and possibilities. The merchandisers can do as they please. I am not required nor do I intend to purchase merchadise other than the final season dvd and perhaps this book. I've been around since the early days of television, I have several present and past shows I like and own, but I have never seen quality to equal Lost since the days of Playhouse 90 and Studio One.

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 6:58:59 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 7:19:06 AM PDT
Samuel King says:
I was about to begin watching Season 5 this weekend (time travel season) and thought about Season 6. Rewatching every single season on BluRay when they came out was a thrilling experience. I took the first disc out and that nagging word "pointless" crept in. It was overpowering. I put it back in the case and went and put it in the library (where my movies go to die/collect dust.) I couldn't commit myself to rewatching and being reminded of all the questions I had and knowing there were no answers coming ... ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 8:08:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2010 8:10:20 PM PDT
I think that adds to the mystery behind the show, it'd be no fun if everything gets explained. Personally I see Lost as an almost finished book with a decent ending, sure it doesnt have a *Complete* feel, but Season 6 works towards an ending for the entire season, and it works, sure it may be confusing but they do give an ending. Its not super wide open or anything.

Edit: Noticed everyones posts are getting no votes, would the no voters attacking our posts speak up and debate with us the finer points of Losts story. We don't bite, some of us wouldn't mind a constructive conversation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 11:28:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2010 11:30:09 PM PDT
As to your challenge to debate the finer points of Lost, here goes. I guess I could have forgiven a few unresolved plot points, but in my opinion Lost in season 6 resolved virtually no plot points and created new inconsistencies.
Here is just one example:
Why is Christian Shepard leading the way to heaven?
I found one of the most moving scenes in season 6 to be Jack's relationship with his son.
He tells his son about the time when his father said to him: "you do not have what it takes." He further tells his son that this comment haunted him throughout his life. He tells his son: "In my eyes, you can never fail. I just want to be a part of your life." The loving relationship he develops with his son is in stark contrast with his bitter relationship with his father.
So I ask again why is Christian Shepard leading the way to heaven?
He was not alive on the island. He was a bad doctor, a bad father and a lousy human being.
So only Christian can get Jack to let go. Let go of the son he loved so passionately and follow Christian Shepard to heaven.
I guess it's all in the name.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season [Blu-ray]
Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season [Blu-ray] by Matthew Fox (Blu-ray - 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (781)