who has seen the dark shadows movie and did you like it ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2012 5:20:25 AM PDT
the movie is out today !! i want to hear what dark shadows fans have to say about it after they have seen it...

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:08:28 AM PDT
i just read the first review of the movie on abc ....and they gave it 2 stars.

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:15:33 PM PDT
Peter West says:
Tina: In our facebook group this review link was posted http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/movies/johnny-depp-stars-in-tim-burtons-dark-shadows.html and Ian Peters went to see the film.

From Ian's post:
OK, just got back from the advanced screening of Dark Shadows! It was pretty fun as a whole. It wasn't the best film that I had ever seen but it definitely wasn't the worst either. They were actually VERY faithful to the original at various points throughout and mixed that with their own take on the series. For example, there is one shot of the exterior of the Collins Cannery at the beginning that looked just like it did when Roger kept walking by it in stock footage at the beginning of the show. They also took a ton of different plot points from throughout the show's entire run and crammed them all into a single movie. They did take some major liberties, though, and some purists may be annoyed with some of those choices. I had a blast, though :-). For those of you who are on the fence or are concerned about what may have been changed, I say give it a chance anyways. If it really annoys you, there's always that glorious coffin box set sitting on your living room table :-).

Now if Ian see's this and posts the comments using his userid, I will delete my plagurism.

Posted on May 11, 2012 3:21:37 PM PDT
okay sounds good...everybody keep those reveiws coming...i cant go till next weekend but im so excited...been waiting 4 years for this movie.

Posted on May 11, 2012 3:42:18 PM PDT
Peter West says:
I'm going tomorrow to see it, probably catch a matinee, I'll reply as soon as I get home. I have not been to a movie in over 2 years because of my neck issues, see how I handle it...

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:13:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 7:14:10 AM PDT
Thanks for posting my review! I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. I'm sure the comedy aspect will be an issue for some. It didn't bother me as I thought it was an interesting take. The ending was the only thing that bugged me, but I don't want to spoil anything :-)

Oh and you can keep my text in your post, Peter West.

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:01:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 12:01:56 PM PDT
thanks Ian...like your review

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:44:07 PM PDT
Peter West says:
Just got back, it's not absurd comedy as one might expect, in a way it's almost the way we would find comedy in the original show, the clash of two generations seperated by 196 years. Very true to the original as Ian said in his review. I did the Digital Extreme Cinema which they usually reserve for 3D films, cost me $5 more but the screen is almost IMAX size. Every bit of music was something I currently or used to have in my record collection. Don't want to spoil anything, on the show a lot of times the performances were a little over the top, it's the same here. I liked it, if it's here in a couple weeks I might go back again since I did this on 1 hour sleep and in pain.

Posted on May 12, 2012 5:19:58 PM PDT
tina wildcat says:
alright peter...thanks for the review....i think alot of dark shadows fans are going to like this movie despite all the crying some people did about how " they ruined dark shadows"

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 5:26:53 PM PDT
Peter West says:
The movie is no more absurd, than the show was.

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:31:00 PM PDT
I agree with Peter's assessment. The original show had moments of unintentional comedy due to the nature of live television recording and soap opera melodrama. The only part of the film I had an issue with was the ending, which I felt was kind of rushed. As my earlier review mentioned, they took a bunch of major plot points and crammed them in. In some ways, I feel like they tried to do too much, which resulted in some murky moments in the narrative. I need to see it again. Since I saw it during a free advanced screening I was in the third row (not the stadium portion) so I saw the whole thing from a less than ideal angle. But I really enjoyed it even under those conditions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:41:17 PM PDT
Peter West says:
You know I was real tired after the show, but after sleeping on it for a few hours.......... If they called this film "House of Dark Shadows", I would have been cool with it.... There was about 40 of us for the 1:45pm show and I was the third person to arrive and I was 2/3 of the way up dead center. Of course we had the two stupid teenagers talking during the movie, but they were shutup quickly and I didn't even have to do it myself..... :-)

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:24:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 1:25:58 PM PDT
Steve Keeley says:
I enjoyed the movie. It was a lot better than the trailer would indicate. In the trailer they collected just about every silly moment. It was a lot more faithful to the source material than the trailer would indicate. There are a lot of details that only a fan would notice, like Maggie Evans getting sent off to Windcliff Sanitarium (yes, Maggie Evans is in the movie).

The final conflict does get a bit over-the-top with its revelations, but they all refered to actual story lines in the show. Eva Green was obviously having a blast as the wicked and lascivious "Angie." The whole thing was really beautiful to look at. It may not be the Dark Shadows you remember, but it's a fun new look. If Burton's style is not to your taste, you can always wait a little while and get the new editions of "House/Night of Dark Shadows" when they are released.

Posted on May 13, 2012 3:23:48 PM PDT
thanks steve for the review....

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:12:48 PM PDT
Nancy says:
Hi T. Wildcat here is my requested review for the dark shadows movie! --- The first thing I have to say is I was stuned by the color palette. It was truely beautiful with some victorian-esque style. And chole's performace of an angsty teenager was really enjoyable to watch. Even Michelle's performance as a tough as nails mother, protecting her family at all cost was interesting. Some of the funnier moments were not needed. Yet they didnt put a damper on the movie. Though the movie did try to keep to its orgins, you could still see them trying to provide entertainment to the new generation. All in all the group of people I went with still seemed to have fun, and enjoy the movie for what it was. The only thing that bothered me was that the ending felt abrupt/rushed. for anyone who dosent enjoy the remake always remember you have the orginal to go back to....As we remember it!!!!!!

Posted on May 14, 2012 2:28:10 PM PDT
thanks so much nancy for your review !

Posted on May 14, 2012 3:01:47 PM PDT
Peter West says:
My favorite character was Helena Bonham Carter's portrayal of Julia Hoffman. She even nailed Grayson Hall's voice!

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:24:14 PM PDT
katricia07 says:
I went to the premier in my home town, dressed in black with a long black wig & fangs! Caused a few stares, but had a blast! I am a die hard original series Dark Shadows fan and LOVED the movie!! My hubby didn't really watch the original series, but enjoyed the movie almost as much as I did! I took my Mom to see it on Mother's Day (sans the costume) and she Loved it also! The theaters were packed during both sessions and most everyone seemed to enjoy it; as evidenced by their applause and saying how good it was!! I've been tracking my Complete Original Series (Limited Edition) journey and it will be here tomorrow!! I can hardly wait!! I used to run home from school and write about each episode in my diary. I found the diary a few years ago; what a treasure!! Tim Burton & Johnny Depp, y'all did an AWESOME job and the quick cameo of Jonathan Frid and several original cast members was PRICELESS!! Thank you for making this wonderful film! I can't wait to purchase it!!

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:45:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 12:06:39 PM PDT
thank you katricia for your review...it would be cool if everyone went to the dark shadows movie in costume....like they did for the rocky horror picture show and the wacky world of dr. morgus (if youre not from new orleans you wont know the second movie) and im sure in new orleans people are dressing in costume for DS and no one thinks theyre strange !! I would do it here in cherokee but i'd be on the front page of the news paper if i did. lol.....thanks peter...i was wondering how she would be as dr. hoffman....keep those reviews coming and any comments about your favorite characters too....someone tell me-- is there secret rooms and passageways, thunder and lightning, josettes music box ,and the clock striking the hours in this movie ?

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:44:16 PM PDT
peter...did she do julias famous NOOOhOOOhOOO ?

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:19:27 PM PDT
Peter West says:
I wasn't looking for that, but she just might have. She became very concerned about what Barnabas was up to, so that could fit very easily. Can't get into any more don't want to give anything away.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:49:36 PM PDT
katricia07 says:
I'm really surprised that my costume didn't make the newspaper here in LaGrange, GA!! I received my Complete Original Series (Limited Edition) & it is FANTASTIC!! Mine is #323 of 2,500!! BTW, there are several secret rooms/passageways in the movie.... :)

Posted on May 17, 2012 6:03:34 AM PDT
thanks katricia...it would not be dark shadows if there were no secret passageways and rooms !!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 7:49:07 PM PDT
katricia07 says:
Tina W., you are welcome & absolutely correct!!

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:14:00 PM PDT
tomorrow i am going to see the movie at 1pm....i will leave my review when i get home....i am so excited !!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  May 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series (Limited Edition)
Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series (Limited Edition) by Jonathan Frid (DVD - 2012)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (454)