Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

I hope this gets me back into the series, couldn't finish last book.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2011 12:13:26 PM PDT
I loved Volumes 1 - 5, thought volume 6 was okay, but despite two attempts I just could not get into volume 7! I know how it ends but I still hope to read it all, it's the only King novel to date I couldn't finish. I hope reading DT 4.5 will inspire me to finally finish 7!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 12:29:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 12:10:52 AM PDT
David Adams says:
I'm curious to know what about the last book made you put it down unfinished? For me, The Dark Tower was a fitting and satisfying conclusion to a much beloved series, though you are not alone in your estimation.
Hopefully, this new DT book will be as fulfilling as the others.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 8:42:19 AM PDT
Mallrat says:
I agree. I thought the last book provided a strong sense of closure. I am not excited about this book though. The series already felt complete to me. I guess as a stand alone title it has a chance though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 9:08:00 AM PDT
DD says:
Give #7 a second chance. It is a really great read. If you're like me you probably didn't want the series to be over. But it's so worth it! The last book covers an incredible amount of ground.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 5:35:17 PM PDT
salliesue says:
I have to admit that when I reached the end of the last book I thought about throwing it against the wall (like I did with Volume 4!) but then I realized it was the perfect ending. I'm excited about another book in the series, although this one seems short for a Stephen King novel! But I bet it will be a good read....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 6:08:23 AM PDT
Mallrat says:
Volume 4 is Wizard and Glass right? By far my favorite! What frustrated you about it?

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 6:23:51 AM PDT
doz70 says:
I hated the ending to the DT series, in fact the last three books were just not that entertaining to me (the first 5 were amoung my favorite books ever) I saw this one just now, and got mad, because no matter how much I don't want to, I will buy and read it. I said I'd stop reading King's books when he stopped writing horror, but I keep coming back to him like a bad girlfriend. Damnit.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 3:05:26 PM PDT
Jack Shandy says:
I think it is an eternal shame that Wizard and Glass was not released as a stand-alone novel. It's so much better than the series as a whole. Part six was abominable, and so I've never even read part seven. I'm very interested in this new one though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 9:18:21 PM PDT
David Adams says:
The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass were my favorites of the series, book six being my least favorite. Book seven redeemed the series for me, so I feel you would find The Dark Tower a fitting end.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 12:07:13 PM PDT
Darth Bane says:
im going to read all the dark tower books by stephen king

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 2:00:44 PM PDT
I read through 6 pretty quickly even though I wasn't big on it - and I started 7 but then put it down.
I think I put it down because I really just wasn't ready for the series to end.
However, sometime before the new one comes out I will start it over and finish it.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 9:00:44 AM PST
I find it weird reading all of your comments about book 6, honestly i think it was one of my favorites in the series. I liked 7, but there was so much unnecessary text in it. when i was reading it i felt like pages and pages went by without anything happening and it just dragged on forever. i think he could have trimmed off about 100-150 pages of it and made it a lot more fast paced.

but i am just one constant reader...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 4:10:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 12:14:59 AM PDT
David Adams says:
Patrick, it all depends on the reader in which book one finds more or less interesting. Though I did not find book 6 to be the best, I however liked Song of Susanna better than most other books written in a similar genre-even Stephen King's worst efforts are far and away better than a lot of author's best books.
For me, book 7 was a perfect length though I can understand your point.
Alas, we are all but just one constant reader...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 10:31:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 5:23:20 AM PST
The same here. I am not a Dark Tower junkie and I am yet to read the last three novels but Wizard and Glass is one of the best books I have read. In my mind I still sometimes hear Roland's cries when the town folks were burning Susan to death.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 1:03:45 PM PST
beren says:
Wizard & Glass was great, as was most of the series. Song of Susannah I found unbearably hokey.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 3:04:40 PM PST
C. Braum says:
Loved the First three, hated Book Four (at least the susan parts). Book 5 was good, 6 was okay, 7th was a satisfying ending to the series

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 7:42:20 AM PST
Matthew says:
I have been and will always be a great fan of SK, but I was disappointed by the ending of Book 7. When SK tells his "constant readers" to stop, I should have stopped. No spoiler here, but I was disappointed and am looking forward to getting back into the DT series 3 volumes before the Book 7. If I could say one word about the ending of Book 7 it would be that it was "nineteen".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 2:02:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 17, 2012 2:03:02 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 4:45:07 PM PST
I thought book 1 was decent. Books 2-4 are the heart of the series and the best books. Book 5 was very long and I didn't think a lot happened until the battle at the end. Didn't like Book 6 at all. Book 7 was better than 6 but still not at the level of 2-4.

2>3>4>>1>>7>>>>>>>>>>>>>6

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 2:25:34 PM PST
Gusteaux says:
Tyrion:
Do you post on Song of Ice and Fire sites under the name of Eddie Dean?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 11:17:27 AM PST
D. MacMillan says:
You have forgotten the face of your father, Maggot!

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 6:42:04 AM PST
G. Neiman says:
Agree with many of the above - DT 1-4 were some of the best books I have ever read. Five was pretty good, but 6 and 7 were just terrible. I am looking forward to 4.5 to see if he can recapture the magic.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 10:37:35 PM PST
JayBeeSteele says:
The Wastelands was the best book of this series;The Gunslinger was the second best, and Wizard and Glass was the third. Honestly, we should be happy that King is going to write another entry because the Marvel Comics stories feel second rate (which they are).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 6:44:04 AM PST
joeski says:
Don't feed the trolls. Anyone who read 1-5 and liked them wouldn't stop halfway through 7.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:19:58 AM PST
Shira A. says:
Why not? I liked 1-4, and I had to force myself to finish 7. I thought it was horrible, same with 6. I had to know how everything ended, but it wasn't worth it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower)
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower) by Stephen King (Hardcover - April 24, 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,584)