Err 99?! I am seriously thinking about getting a 40d, but is Err 99 a common problem of it? Does it only happen to the 40ds sold by Amazon? It's putting me off big time honestly... Any advice?!
asked by James on July 1, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
votes
I found out a lot about the Canon warranty. It may be good if they can not find an excuse to void it. They said it was "moisture damage" When I told them the camera had not been near water they asked if the humidity was high or if I had perspired? The humidity was high and I may have perspired. I was told that they told me that could have caused it. I can't beleive that humidity or a drop of persperation could get into a properly built camera, the response I received was that all digital equipment was highly sensitive to moisture. The bill $747 to repair, they are sending the camera back unrepaired, I am selling my brand new lenses and other accesories that I bought for it and buying a Nikon. Live and learn
Displaced Tarheel answered on July 22, 2008

A
votes
Condensation forms when the camera is brought from the cold into a warmer more humid environment. In Summer, you can get condensation taking your camera from an air-conditioned environment out into warm humid weather. In Winter, condensation can occur when bringing your camera from outside into a warm house. In Winter, many photographers actually keep their cameras inside their coats so the camera doesn't get too cold. You can avoid condensation by sealing your camera in a plastic ziplock bag BEFORE entering a warmer humid environment and then letting the camera sit for a while to equalize its temperature (the condensation will form on the outside of the bag instead of on or in your camera). If your camera should happen to form condensation, its best to remove the battery and memory card and let it sit in open air.

Exposure to excessive humidity for longer periods without any time in a dry environment can also create big problems such as rust, mold and some electronic issues. Its not uncommon to find old used lenses with mold growing inside them! If you're keeping your equipment (camera, lenses) in extremely humid environments for, say, more than a day, an air-tight case (something like a Pelican) with a desiccant might be a very good idea. "Rechargeable" desiccants are available if you need longer term low-humidity storage.

Enjoy your new camera!
Technology Guy answered on July 23, 2008

A
vote
You can very easily get condensation in your camera moving between an air-conditioned environment and humid outdoor air. I'd exposed my old Canon XT to this time and again often without taking the proper precaution of allowing the camera's temperature to equalize in a sealed camera case or plastic bag. I was lucky, however and Canon found no "water damage" when I sent the camera in for warranty repairs. Very lucky.

I'm very sorry about your experiences with Canon (I've had my share of dealings with Canon and not all of them happy ones either). But condensation is a real problem and it can affect any camera.
Technology Guy answered on July 22, 2008

A
vote
Tech guy has it pretty well covered. I take a lot of night shots, and when I bring my camera in, I leave it on the tripod and use a grocery sack, use the handles of the sack and tie it beneath the camera. The desiccant is a great idea to, I thought I was the only one that did that, but I kept them in my camera bad at all times. Just about everything you buy now has them. In fact some of the SBIG astro cameras have them inside already.

Peace
J. Osborne answered on July 23, 2008

A
votes
This ERR 99 thing is news to me. ERR 99 is a general error and can indicate a problem with the camera, memory card or lens. Whatever the case, Canon's warranty is excellent and, from experience, they WILL fix anything.
Technology Guy answered on July 3, 2008

A
votes
I had mine 40 days when I got an error 99, the LCD minitor started turning whitish and all that would happen when you followed directions and turned it off and back on was it would display the same message and make a clicking noise. The technical support person got me to try a few things, and they only made it completely stop turning on at all. He then gave me an address to send it to and said they would email me to let me know how much it would cost. When I said that since I had only had it 40 days the warranty should cover it he responded that usually it did but not always.
Displaced Tarheel answered on July 12, 2008

A
votes
Displaced Tarheel says:
"When I said that since I had only had it 40 days the warranty should cover it he responded that usually it did but not always."

They said the same thing to me when I sent in my old XT for a focusing issue but pretty much the only things the warranty does not cover are water and impact damage. Unless you dropped or submerged your camera, there shouldn't be a problem.
Technology Guy answered on July 12, 2008

A
votes
I've had a Canon 40D since December of 07, had no problems with it all until this June, when on a trip in Colorado, err 99 happened. It kept happening until it was non-operational. It was Sunday and I had to wait till Monday to talk to Canon. The tech had me take the lens off, and with no other attachment to the camera, tired to fire a shot. Nothing, he said it needed to be serviced. I waited until I returned home to Southern California and drove it to Irvine; it was repaired in 2 days. And I found out they do free sensor cleaning for the life of the camera, so I dropped off my digital rebel and had it cleaned, at no charge and it was FedEx'ed to my house in 2 days, and no charge for the shipping.

Err99 is a catch all for this camera and others. My problem ended up being a non-op shutter, it was replaced at no charge, I was still within the 1-year warranty. I also found out Canon actually extends the warranty to 14 months.

You hear horror stories of customer service, and trust me I've had mine. But with Canon, I didn't have one bad thing to say. The wait on the phone after all the automated stuff was less then a minute, every time I called. I even told the lady when I picked up my camera how, unbelievably painless this whole thing was, told her of a nightmare issue I had with Nikon, and I'd never go back.

If you get one and takes a dump in the first 14 months, your covered, (not unless you drop it, or get it wet) and if it craps out after 14 months, I found out it's normally $180.00 for repairs, this is pretty typical for repairs, that's what Nikon charged me, nightmare, trust me you don't want to hear it.

So, my suggestion would be to not let the err99 scare you, buy from a reputable dealer, B
J. Osborne answered on July 13, 2008

A
votes
My Canon 40D is in the NJ Factory Shop for the same ERR 99 problem. Canon gets two thumbs up for speed and quality of service, and I am looking forward to having it back. It, too, was a failed shutter problem. And even with this inconvenience (which is huge during playoff hockey games), I would still buy this camera in a heartbeat.
gertielertie answered on July 16, 2008

A
votes
I ha d the er99 with my 20D and it turned out to be the chip in the lense. I put a different lense on and all was good. Had the 28-300 lense fixed and error went away.
Photoguy70 answered on July 22, 2008
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›