Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes
How fast should a network switch be for my use? I want to hook up an xbox 360 to stream netflix and a Pc. Do I need the Gigabit speed or is a 10/100 fast enough?
asked by Kate on October 25, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
arrowhead answered on October 27, 2011
Comment (1) | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

If you are going to buy a new switch the costs are not that much different. Get the 10/100/1000 for present and future use. In the cyber world everything is new for one day. Tomorrow morning there might be a need for 10/100/1000/T bps.
TigreAzul answered on December 11, 2012
Comments (2) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

The short answer is either one will work since both are faster than your internet connection anyway. The long (correct) answer is that it depends on the amount of traffic on your network. For a handful of simultaneous users, 10/100 is fine. For more than a half dozen or so, you'll notice an improvement with Gigabit. Since Gigabit device prices are falling, you're probably better off buying one now and having plenty of room to grow. Of course, your devices will also need to have Gigabit-capable NICs to benefit from the speed boost, but the switch will still work more efficiently.
Nilpo answered on June 26, 2014
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Thanks arrowhead, That's what I thought-from the few posts I could find -I already ordered a TRENDnet 10/100, 8 port switch, as I now need more ports to connect a new BD player by wire for updating its firmware. The 25 Mbps when streaming was mentioned in a few reviews of the switch. Thanks for confirming.
Kate answered on October 28, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Sometimes the extra ports come in handy when you expand, and the extra headroom provided by a solid gigabit switch keeps clogs away when running in heavy traffic from multiple sources. This switch is cheap enough to take care of needs like yours and most reasonable future expansions while still being a solid piece of equipment. Also, if you have computers with gigabit ethernet and want to add a network storage drive or server with gigabit, you will save a huge amount of time on file transfers vs a 10/100 switch.
MildCritter answered on September 6, 2014
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

J. Waldvogel answered on May 22, 2015
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

If you have to ask, then 10/100 is fast enough.
jeff answered on March 12, 2013
Comment (1) | 2 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product