Unbroken
Used & New from: $3.61
Who should play Louie Zamperini in the movie? I read a blurb in Louie Zamperini's Wikipedia entry (the source led back to a non-existent document though) that a movie based on his life was in the works with Nick Cage playing the title role. Based on Cage's recent film work, I kind of cringed when I read that and hopefully it was just a bad rumor. I did however start to wonder who would be a good Louie. IMO they would need to be physically built to sell the idea that they were a world-class miler or it wouldn't work. I think Tobey McGuire would be a good Louie but we'll probably end up with Shia LaBeouf.
asked by Robert Sweeney on January 26, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 51-60 of 152 answers
A
votes
oops . . guess it is . . .http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/universal-buys-laura-hillenbrand-bestseller-unbroken-for-wwii-pic/
If they are looking for actors who are in their 20's that eliminates a whole load of our faves. I'm still rooting for Franco :)
Liat2768 answered on June 10, 2011

A
vote
How about the same horse that played "Seabiscuit"?
No Name Required, gimme a Jacket answered on June 11, 2011

A
vote
Anybody here even bother considering Leonardo Dicaprio? The guy can be at his best when he's displaying anguish and despair. ' Basketball Diaries ' in the scene when he's pleading to his mother for help is both ' gut-wrenching and heartbreaking. Oh, and did I forget to say the ' Man ' can act!
J. Maldonado Sr. answered on June 15, 2011

A
votes
Yes, he has been mentioned more than once. He is 42 though.
Bean answered on June 15, 2011

A
votes
Yes, yes, yes James Franco
John G. answered on June 26, 2011

A
votes
Maybe this is a female point of view but he does nothing for me. :)
Bean answered on June 26, 2011

A
vote
Someone newwwwww please! Someone who is amazing but doesn't have the association with some other epic movie. If only we could take an elite runner and turn him into an actor, we'd be set.
Danielle answered on June 27, 2011

A
votes
Whoever they select to play Louie Zamperini really needs to be an actor who has great emotional range because of the extreme physical and emotional changes that occur to Louie throughout his life. He was cocky, outgoing, athletic and then beaten down, tortured, degraded, survived, became an alchoholic and then found Christianity and was saved. As mentioned earlier, too bad Gregory Peck or Jimmy Stewart aren't still with us in their prime.

Sometimes, a relatively unknown actor is discovered and does an outstanding job given the right material. My guess is that it will be someone in their 30's since Louie was 27, I believe, during a large portion of the book. My two top "known" choices in order of preference would be Chistian Bale and then James Franco. Bale definitely has the acting chops to pull it off.

Others that could be considered, although I don't know if they have the acting skill to pull it off are:

Christopher Pine
Jake Gyllenhaal
Mark Wahlberg

The only two in their early forties who might be able to lose the weight and pull it off (although I don't know if they have the overall acting skill) are:

Gerald Butler
Hugh Jackman

I was amused to see Sean Penn mentioned. Yeah, he's a good actor BUT he would be the first in the Hollywood crowd to state that dropping the atomic bomb that ended the war and saved millions of lives including Louis Zamperini's was a crime committed by America against all of humanity. He would view Japan as the "victim" in WWII. I think Louie would be aghast.
David answered on July 3, 2011

A
votes
I'd like to add a new name to the list. As the looks and the chops. Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Google him and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Bean answered on July 3, 2011

A
vote
Another actor who is probably too old (42) and may not have the acting "chops" for the job but who IMO actually looks a little like Louie is Harry Connick, Jr.
David answered on July 3, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   ...   16   Next ›