Customer Discussions > The Year of the Flood: A Novel forum

should i re-read oryx and crake before this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2009 12:32:09 PM PDT
pdxer says:
I'm not a fan of rereading books, but it's been a while since Oryx and Crake. So my question to anyone who has read Year of the Flood: would I enjoy it more if I got familiar with "part 1" again?

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 2:43:25 AM PDT
M. LeFevers says:
I did choose to do this, and I was thankful I did. Odds on you would not be missing out on TOO much -- "Year of the Flood" is being billed as a stand-alone novel, after all -- but there were a lot of tiny references and hints that I probably wouldn't have caught if I hadn't re-read "Oryx and Crake".

It's probably not necessary but it does make the whole experience richer. I found myself flipping open my copy of "Oryx and Crake" more than once to double-check a part, once I realized its significance. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2009 11:59:14 AM PDT
Yes, you will enjoy Year of The Flood more by re-reading Oryx and Crake. There are so many small connections that occur between the book and new insights into the characters of Oryx and Crake. Getting to know the original characters of Oryx and Crake again makes reading the Year of the Flood more enjoyable.

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 8:10:53 PM PDT
But I didn't LIKE Oryx and Crake! I don't want to re-read it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2009 12:10:42 PM PDT
M. Feldman says:
You don't have to. "Flood" can be read for itself alone. You might even find it fun to go back to "Crake" afterwards.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 12:27:23 PM PDT
I advise that you re-read Oryx and Crake if you have the time; I didn't and ended up reading passages of it parallel to reading "The Year of the Flood"; I wish I had re-read Oryx and Crake first. It is not necessary to have read it at all, but certain characters in Oryx and Crake are explored from a different point of view in The Year of the Flood and it would be nice to have them fresh in your memory when you read this book.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 6:12:53 PM PDT
Kim L says:
I would advise re-reading Oryx and Crake. I loved how all the characters were interconnected. Interestingly, YOTF also gives more insight into Glenn/Crake than Oryx and Crake. Reading how he was connected to God's Gardners made me understand a bit more why he was motivated to act as he did as an adult.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 6:13:06 PM PDT
Kim L says:
I would advise re-reading Oryx and Crake. I loved how all the characters were interconnected. Interestingly, YOTF also gives more insight into Glenn/Crake than Oryx and Crake. Reading how he was connected to God's Gardners made me understand a bit more why he was motivated to act as he did as an adult.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 9:55:45 AM PST
R. Lindauer says:
What is the group of people carrying touches at the point "Year of the Flood" ends? Real people? Gardeners? Blue people? Hallucination? Something symbolic?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2010 11:16:27 AM PST
G. P. Aigen says:
WARNING: DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK.

I believe they are the new species of human. And because of the death of Adam One and the remaining group of Gardeners referenced in the last few pages, I believe that all people like you and I will succumb to the plague soon, leaving only the new species.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2010 10:55:39 PM PDT
They are explained towards the end of YotF, and are part of the plot of O&C. They are Glenn/Crake's genetically engineered new humans.

Reading both books rounds out both stories.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Year of the Flood
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (Paperback - July 27, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (482)