Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: simplehuman Plastic Compact Dishrack, Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Black|Change

on September 11, 2013
I think this product was designed by interns, or actually probably someone who uses a dishwasher, or eats out every meal. Did they even get a plate and try to put it in this thing? Has anyone at simple human ever lived long enough to know that a dish rack needs to be cleaned? Video:
1717 comments|378 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
Update 5/25/2015: this dish rack survived two moves. I use it for the need to use quick dishes (cat food), glasses, cups, utensils, etc. fits neatly in my latest double sink apartment. But alas, it has been almost five years (original order November 2010), and needs to be replaced. Ordered the black this time. Will see if same quality construction.

******************************************************************************************

Now I know why they have a 5 year warranty, unbelievable value. I've always gone for the cheapos or convenient small ones (used to use the dishwasher - then learned better to save water with hand washing the small amount of dishes I have).

The hard water left stains and some pink/white sludge build up that could not be cleaned. Not knowing about anti microbial products, I bought a $5 plastic Sterilite in July, and it was deteriorating in October. It was one piece, so I couldn't really clean any portions (or at least, I couldn't figure out how to detach it), and my little black dish rack looked so scary, I was draining dishes in the dishwasher. The build up accumulated in the silverware holder, and vinegar couldn't even clean it out.

With this nice compact design from simplehuman, I have stainless steel for the first time. I can clean it - no rust showing up. There is no build up from the hard water, soap scum. It holds WAY more than my other compact dish racks, and was well worth the purchase price.

Speedy shipping by Amazon had me up and running in no time.

PROS: Appearance on Counter or in Sink, Design, Style, Capacity, Ease of Use, Just insert to assemble, Construction and Performance
An example of capacity: 8 bowls, 6 dishes. Several pieces of silverware in the holder. 2 coffee cups, 2 water glasses, 2 measuring cups, large plastic spoon, wooden spoon 2 knives on the other side, and 2 plastic lids for cans.
Cons: The silverware holder is small, however, I place large utensils, knives besides the bowls and dishes, on the small side - and put cups, glasses and measuring devices on the other side.

If you don't have a full load for your dishwasher - save on your electric bill and water bill - buy a Sterilite® Classic Red 12 Qt. Dishpan 15 5/8"L x 12 3/8"W x and this simplehuman Dish Rack, Compact, Plastic, Gray, and do a quick wash by hand.

*********************************

Edit to Add: Have had for a few months (the cheaper ones show wear and tear by now). Added some pictures up top, so you can see the capacity.
review image review image
on May 23, 2014
This dish rack looks great on my countertop and it has a clever spout that reaches over the lip on the edge of my sink and should in theory drain the water into the sink, unlike my old dish rack/slanted Rubbermaid drainboard combo. However, there is a fatal flaw (isn't there always with these things?) - all of the water doesn't make it from the collection pan into the spout and out into my sink. It just sits there, right next to the drainage holes unless I shake it to move it out (which is obviously hard to do when it's full of dishes). I'm counting the days until this thing starts growing mildew like the Rubbermaid. Check out my customer photo of the problem. Ugh, and I thought I had a winner here...
review image
on November 19, 2010
There comes a time when you realize you are #1 no longer cool and #2 getting old. - That's when you get excited about a dish rack. I saw the great reviews and decided to try it. I love it! It's super easy to clean. Most dish racks don't drain completely, leaving that tiny bit of water to sit and get nasty. It wasn't clear how it works in the description... the plastic base funnels water into one hole in the middle (so no lingering water in the base!), the water flows onto the spout and into the sink in one stream. And the spout can be moved to each side so you can set the rack longways or short against the sink. The rack is removable so makes cleaning a breeze. The plastic is the strongest plastic I've ever had for a dish rack. And it the nicest looking dish rack I've ever had. Also, the utensil holder can be removed completely or put in any corner.
The only drawback could be that it is small, hence "Compact" dish rack. This would be good for maybe a household of 3 or less. It is pricey, but I see it paying off in longevity.
on August 26, 2010
The #1 selling dishrack on Amazon, the Rubbermaid Antimicrobial, is a piece of crap. I owned it from May 2009-July 2010, and in the last month it began to rust horribly! I spent $16 on it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I researched better alternatives and came upon this dishrack from simplehuman. It looks small, but it holds almost as much as the Rubbermaid, and simplehuman has 5 year (yes, 5 year!) warranty from defects. You get a registration code in the box, register it online, and poof! No need to keep the receipt for years on end.

The metal in the simplehuman design doesn't bend, and it's thick and excellent quality. The plastic doesn't stain much from the water remains. The drainage spout is nice, but not totally effective; after I unload a set of dry dishes from it, I turn it over in the sick to get the last of the water out from the bottom. For $26 from Bed Bath and Beyond (with a 20% off coupon), if it only lasts 5 years, that' just $5/year!

I wish they made one slightly bigger than this, but smaller than the big metal one, which is very expensive. I would purchase it again in a heartbeat, and if my apartment were broken into, it would be the first thing I'd replace. Also, I own the gray one, so I can't attest to how much the black one shows water stains.

EDIT 5/01/11 Still going strong! Now I simply push the drainage spout down a little after doing a load of dishes and a little more water pours out because of the force of gravity. No more turning it over. Love this dishrack.
on July 31, 2011
PURCHASED COMPACT DISH RACK ON 06/25/2010 AND IT BEGAN TO SHOW RUST IN ABOUT 7 MONTHS. THE DESIGN IS GREAT FOR SMALL SINKS ; HOWEVER , I DID NOT EXPECT THAT THE REMOVABLE RACK WOULD RUST. IF RUST BOTHERS YOU I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU NOT PURCHASE THIS ITEM. THIS IS NOT AMAZON'S FAULT, I HAVE HAD GREAT SERVICE FROM AMAZON.
update 09/08/2011, the company , simplehuman , customer service responed with a new replacement which does not have the same type of material. it appears the problem has been corrected in the manufacturing process.
on January 28, 2011
Compact which comes in very handy of you want to place on a counter and save space or move it directly into the sink when you needed. This also comes with a 5-year warranty which is unbelievable for a dishrack. The quality and construction are extremely durable, the best I've ever encountered and worth every cent! It's a polished addition to the kitchen in black, especially if you have stainless steel appliances. The pivoting water spout is the penultimate feature, totally eliminating the need, finally, for a drip tray underneath because it's all built-in and out of sight. Absolutely outstanding! Coated inner and removable rack is ultra-friendly even on the finest china. Would love to have the ability to purchase an additional silverware corner rack and will contact simplehuman.com to inquire. YAY!
on January 12, 2011
With two of us and well water I wanted something smaller on the counter and something that didn't show the rust stains. This works perfect for it. I have a dishwasher, but if there are just a few dishes I will wash them and use this. I didn't give this five stars for one small reason and that is that the metal rack inside is noisy when you put anything in there. I am sure I'll get use to the noise eventually but my old Rubbermaid didn't have a rack so I was use to silence. Got it thru Warehouse deals so saved a few dollars also. Thanks Amazon.
on May 2, 2013
This product definitely wow'd me online... I hate how dish racks sit direct on the counter, feel/look clunky, and usually leak water everywhere.

However cool the design seems, it isn't executed well.

Our model is not level, and rocks back and forth. It's not the countertop, one of the legs is ACTUALLY shorter than the other. Which can be quite noisy and scary with glass/dishes!

The draining spout also does not self drain. You have to apply downward pressure to it before it drains. Otherwise it leaks all over the counter... just like every other dish rack ever.

And though I read the dimensions before purchasing... to actually fit our dishes inside if it, really puts into perspective how small and compact this really is. We often have to do dishes in batches, because it just doesn't all fit when you're the type to cook everything from scratch.
on February 5, 2016
I love this sink rack! I wanted one the dishes wouldn't scratch the sides of my sink. One that filled the sink and didn't waste space. One that blended into the dark gray sink I have in a very custom kitchen. One that doesn't get gross or rust. Wow this is the best. I should probably buy another one for our 2nd kitchen. By the way I was worried the utinsel holder would be too small and it's perfect. We use a dishwasher however I needed something sleek inside our island sink. Considering buying a 2nd in case they ever stop making this in this color as well.