Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
simplehuman Rectangular Step Trash Can, Stainless Steel, Plastic Lid, 38 L / 10 Gal
|Price:||$99.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Strong steel pedal
- Lid shox technology for a smooth, silent close
- Dent-proof plastic lid
- Internal hinge allows for placement right up against the wall
- 5-year warranty
- Available custom fit liners for a perfect fit - Code J
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Color: Brushed Stainless Steel with Plastic Lid
Compare to Similar Items
This item: simplehuman Rectangular Step Trash Can, Stainless Steel, Plastic Lid, 38 L / 10 Gal
Exclusively for Prime members
|FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Color||Brushed Stainless Steel with Plastic Lid||Silver||Black Plastic||Brushed|
|Dimensions||25.9 inches x 12.5 inches x 15.8 inches||24.4 inches x 16.3 inches x 11.2 inches||26.5 inches x 14 inches x 18.9 inches||21.7 inches x 12.5 inches x 15.8 inches|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Top Customer Reviews
1. APPEARANCE: It looks nice. They aren't kidding, it really doesn't have fingerprints all over it.
2. CONVENIENCE: Love the step feature, and lid slowly goes back down after you've tossed something in. If you do need the lid to stay open for a period of time, there is a latch that you can easily slide over, and just slide it back when you're done.
3. HIDDEN TRASH BAG: The can's "smartbucket bag-change system" is really just a trash can inside the stainless steel body that you pull out and put your bag into that. I love that feature because you put the snug-fitting can back into the stainless steel body and you can't see the bag. Very easy to change it out.
4. USE YOUR OWN BRAND OF TRASH BAG: I bought the huge box of trash bags from Sam's, and they work perfectly. There's a small hole in the back that allows for you to pull the trash bag tight, and it works like a charm. The trash can actually came with a few specially made bags that were the exact size you need, and they worked great, but aren't necessary. Get the brand you prefer.
5. ODOR CONTAINMENT: I was really surprised one day when I opened the trash can and could smell the garbage. I had forgotten about the chicken I had made, and didn't have a clue it was time to take out the trash thanks to the lid (until I opened it, of course). I didn't realize a step trash can could contain odors that well.
This trash can really is worth every penny. I'm so glad we went with this one.
The closing mechanism is VERY sturdy, especially compared to others which failed in less than one year.
This one uses a folded-steel ridge or "column" that greatly increases rigidity. That supports the lifting mechanism and makes it work better. It's smooth and quiet!
Another smart engineering decision was to make the top of lightweight plastic.
Other cans had metal lids which were heavy and required more force to open. That put stress on the opening-mechanism. Naturally they failed too soon.
This can requires very little force to lift the lid. So, in conjunction with the rigid reinforced column, the mechanism is far more robust. From what we've seen so far, I expect this can to last much longer than the previous two we had. Even a club footed 240 pound son hasn't broken it... yet.
It has a handle at the back-top which makes it easy to move around the kitchen. That's handy when cleaning, mopping or doing special tasks like corn-shucking, preparing food or temporarily storing the cat.
The handle is recessed, not protruding like others. That means it fits neatly against the wall without jutting into traffic, causing me to stub my toe and loudly swear, thereby waking the misses who adds that to her long list of my offenses.
There also is a small red locking-tab which holds the lid open. THAT is VERY useful for BIG projects like filing your wife's seven-hundred shoe catalogs. This trash can is expensive, but if you get to the mail box before your wife and dispose of the evidence, you will save at least hundred dollars the first week!
The interior has two recessed hand-holds.Read more ›
The foot pedal works really well; I've used other foot opened trash cans where it felt like I had to press really hard to get the lid to open and this one just glides right up. The trash can is a bit heavy, but that's part of why the foot pedal operates so well; the extra weight gives the can enough ballast that it stays steady when you open it.
I honestly can't think of one complaint about this trash can except maybe the price, but you won't find one of this quality without forking over a little more than perhaps you'd considered paying for a trash can.
A note on size: At 10 gallons, I thought this can would be a bit smaller than my old one, which I'd thought was 13 gallon because I'd always gotten the 13 gallon trash bags for it. Turns out my old one was actually 8 gallons, which makes sense since the bag needs to fold over the edge, and thus has a greater volume than the actual can does. Just thought I'd give other people a heads up in case they were making the same assumptions I was.
And speaking of trash bags, the standard 13 gallon bags fit this can just fine. I haven't tried the sample special trash bags that came with this can yet but considering how well the standard bag works I can't imagine why I would go out of my way to get special ones.
1. The stainless outer surface is almost impossible to keep streak/fingerprint clean. There are a few stainless trash cans out now that have a 'fingerprint free' surface, this could certainly benefit from it.
2. Like previously mentioned the interior bottom has many small crevices and cavities that trap trash. The way it is currently designed the inner bucket lip does not go to the edge so there is a gap between it and the frame, even though small, enough that small debris can get down there if you aren't perfect in dumping things in.
3. Which brings me to my biggest dislike, that this does not seal the trash in. There is an intentional gap between the lid and the top of the inner bucket, and combined with the vents on the back and bottom makes this a very nice roach motel. It does seal enough to keep odors well contained, but I'm having to resort to keeping the can in a tray of soapy water to keep out the insects.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is a well crafted and designed trash can. I highly recommend it. A great addition to my kitchen.Published 1 day ago by Char W.
love this can, great top, nice finished look. Actually purchased two one for trash one for recyclePublished 1 day ago by Amazon Customer
It holds trash, opens and closes without issue, and looks great in my kitchen. Would buy again.Published 2 days ago by Amazon Customer
I have one and it has been great for probably 10 years. My son and daughter in law have a new home, so I bought this for the son because he is the trash man at his home. Read morePublished 2 days ago by Lana Horne
We are so happy we spent the money on this excellent product! It is really nice. Can't believe it took us so many years to do this.Published 7 days ago by David J. Knight
It doesn't seem like you should spend this much money on a container to hold your garbage, but it's so worth it! Read morePublished 9 days ago by Stephanie Louie
Enjoying this so much! Looks great works as expected...no finger prints!!Published 9 days ago by peter hastreiter
This is perfect! I bought it for recycling so the inner bucket being removable will make it easy to haul to our town recycling center.Published 10 days ago by J Hess
Very reliable and long lasting contrainer. Love the silent close option. Well made.Published 10 days ago by sonicd0012