1,073 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Christmas for the Cat!
This was my Christmas present for my cat...

He might not appreciate it much, but we sure do.

Published on December 16, 2010 by Amber M. Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars 13 gallon bags won't fit.
I purchased this trash can to replace one that we had for 20 years. It is well built and probably would last us another 20 years except I am probably going to get rid of it after only a couple of weeks.

Published on August 11, 2011 by Wayne Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Christmas for the Cat!, December 16, 2010
This review is from: simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can, Black Plastic, 50 L / 13 Gal (Kitchen)
This was my Christmas present for my cat...

He might not appreciate it much, but we sure do.

Until this came in the mail, Mr. Tapeworm McRabies (aka Tapers the cat) got put in the bathroom every night since Thanksgiving when he assisted the turkey carcass in climbing out of its plastic Sterilite grave the day after thanksgiving and spreading its bones all over the floor even though we'd had a Rube Goldberg chair trap in place against the lid to prevent just that. That was pretty much the last straw for Tapers vs. Sterlite garbage can, so off to the internet I went.

The stainless steel ones really look nice, but at $180 for this size in metal, I just could not justify it, so I ended up with this plastic one. (And really, $50 seems like so much for plastic, doesn't it?!)

I ordered the grey one directly from the website (figured it would show dirt less) but so far am very happy with it. If you order from the simplehuman website they'll let you include a personalized gift card. Mine said "Hey cat, good luck getting into the garbage now that it locks! Ha."

It has a push in lock so you really can keep animals and small children out, but the lid is actually heavy enough that we don't always lock it and the cat still hasn't managed to do more than just sniff it and sadly pat it's closed lid with his paws wistfully the week since it replaced the Sterilite. As long as he never figures out the step part, we're set (assumes a lot...but we'll see).

The whole thing is very sturdy and seems really well built. As for the step mechanism, we shall see, but I haven't read a single review of failure and it's very smooth.

Standard trashbags fit great (which is why I got this size, fyi...14 gal trashbags are supercheap at Costco and I had a ton of them). Easy to put in and out. No problems with them falling down in...the shape does a good job of holding onto them.

Really nicely packaged. Comes with all sorts of nice product info and nice stickers [which peel of w/o residue] explaining the features. I found this stuff very useful to practice throwing things away in my new deluxe garbage can...but whatever. Even comes with free trashbags so you can start using it immediately :P

Only thing I'm a little uncertain of is the air shocks...it's a bit weird dealing with a lid that doesn't go down quickly...it's nice and quite, but I find myself looking back a lot to make sure it closes (it does...I'll get over it).

Anyway, super nice trash can for a plastic one.

My cat is back to stalking the whole apartment at night, so he might not know how much he likes his present, but he does!

Update: Still really liking the can. The cat has indeed figured out the lid when it isn't locked (weird...he's not the brightest cat usually, but when potential food is involved he gets downright inventive...). He hasn't figured out the step but he has a very creative way of using his head and paw to defeat the air shocks and lift it up. But the snap lock has the win! Poor cat...he lacks opposable thumbs, so, provided the fallible humans don't forget, he'll never get it open again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than stainless steel !, May 12, 2011
3rdGen (Southern California) - See all my reviews
When they are new, stainless steel appliances look great. But if the manufacturer uses a low-grade steel, the appliance will eventually tarnish. And if stainless steel becomes dented, you can see the dent from a mile away. I bought this plastic unit for those reasons. It is very tough and strong and will never show any ugly dents. You can use the foot pedal to open the lid or you can lift the lid manually (which I prefer). If the lid is lifted with the foot pedal (or lifted manually part way), it will close by itself... slowly & quietly. If the lid is opened manually to it's fully open position, it will stay open. There is no removeable inner sleeve or canister. When the can becomes full and the bag happens to be heavy, I will tie the bag closed and then tip the entire can over on its' side. The bag can then be pulled out horizontally. This way, you are not lifting a heavy bag 3 feet in the air to remove it. And since the can is made of plastic, there is no worry about denting it. The bag never snags on anything because there is nothing to get snagged on (THAT is a major plus). The exterior is textured to prevent fingerprints. If food becomes stuck to the plastic it is very easy to wipe or scrub off. GLAD 13 gallon tall kitchen bags work great. You can stretch the Glad bag over the top rim of this trash can for a perfectly snug fit. The only 'con' is that this trash can is rather bulky and takes up a fair amount of space. I never thought I would write a review on a trash can. But, this can is a winner and deserves recognition.

4.0 out of 5 stars To all other reviewers who are irked by the "movement" factor, May 3, 2012
N. Cohen (Wheeling, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews and thought, "how irritating could a little movement of the can be?" As I found out, it can be damned irritating. So, first I tried putting a spare piece of rubber matting I had left over from a previous project (the kind of matting that has little holes in it ... almost meshlike) under it. It was folded in thirds, so it was nice and thick and soft on the floor ... didn't work. Can and mat moved! Next, I put 3 paver bricks I had in the backyard in the bottom of the can ... one standing up on either side of the "hump" on the inside bottom, and I layed the 3rd one down in front of the hump. Can is now as steady as a rock; doesn't move one iota. Seems bizarre, but it really works. As to those of you who can't get a regular 13 galllon trash bag to fit, I'm mystified. I've tried several different brands, including Walmart's generic (called Great Value) and they ALL fit. They have to be the kind of bags with the draw string running through the top. The tie-by-hand bags obviously won't work. Lastly, I agree with those of you who said big dogs can and will get into it. The first day I left the house without dumping the bag (which I've always had to do) Maggie knocked the can over and managed to unlock the lid. Oh well ... I'm used to emptying the trash whenever I leave the house, which is why I buy the cheaper bags ... at 10-cents apiece, I really don't care. Hope this was helpful to you.

N.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars 13 gallon bags DO fit! - (and it's the best trash bin to date), March 8, 2013
We had first looked at the auto-sensing trash bins (we are technology buffs), but since our bin sits next to our pantry door we figured a sensor would "auto-open" every time we opened the pantry door itself. Glad we decided on this instead, since it is a perfect balance of style, price, and function.

About 2 other reviewer's comments:

I read another reviewer's post about "13 gallon bags not fitting" but we've tried several brands and they all fit just fine. Currently we buy a huge roll of standard trash bags from target for $4 and have no issues. I will say that you do have to stretch the top 1/2" to fit the bag over the rim, but I believe that is by design because it holds there perfectly. The bags never tear at the rim, and the bags never sag into the can.

Another reviewer also said the top of the lid flopped about every time they pressed the pedal down, and would never close correctly. I think this is because, when the can arrives it is already connected to the base via the lifting bar that extends up the back from the pedal. What the other reviewer failed to realize (most likely), is that the lid still has two clips on it that need to be snapped into place once you receive it. Once attached properly it functions perfectly.

About the Can:

- Price - $49.99 is well worth it.
- Color Combos - We got the cappuccino color ... super nice for a trash bin.
- Wide Pedal - good for ease of use.
- Locking Lid - we don't have cats, but I read another review that said this was the only cat proof lock they found that worked. We have an infant so I am sure this will come in handy later when she is reaching height.
- Slow Motion Lid - Great little feature .... when you open the lid and let off the pedal the lid very calmly and slowly closes quietly in slow motion. Most cans have lids that just slam shut (and burst some stinky air while at it), but this one is very pleasant. I hadn't thought of this feature until seeing it on this can, now I will make sure to check for it in the future.

2 Things:

** We had another couple over for dinner recently and they saw the can and it's "slow motion" lid. They were so impressed they went on amazon and bought the black one, haha. How may times have you ever been able to tell a story like that about a trash can?

**** Lowe's sells the same can for the same price, but we are Amazon Prime members so we prefer to order online since shipping is free, and that also let's us skip the drive and sales tax =)

5 STARS

1.0 out of 5 stars 13 gallon bags won't fit., August 11, 2011

Be aware that there is a bit of deception going on here. The trash can is sold as 50 liter/13 gallon. That's fine except the US standard 13 gal is not the same as 50 liters. It is 49.2 liters. The can is taller than a typical kitchen can and brand name 13 gallon trash bags sold everywhere do not fit this can. They are too small. Simplehuman does offer a well made bag that fits the can perfectly. They even provide a handful with the new can. Unfortunately, they cost 50 to 60 cents each and I've only found them on line! That's roughly 3 times the cost of a standard 13 gallon bag.

Unless you are fond of retrieving your trash bag from where it has slid down into the can because it doesn't fit, I would think twice before buying this can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value - And 13.3 Gallons Bags DO work!, September 6, 2011
A great value - looks very much like the $150-$200 dollar stainless trashcans, but at a much lower price.

I was concerned that some reviewers stated that standard 13.3 gallon kitchen trashbags would not work, but I have not had that problem. Standard bags from the grocery work just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars When the garbage can IS the garbage., February 12, 2013
Simple Human garbage cans are pretty to look at and have some clever design features. They use metal parts on the outside to make it look like the cans are durable. Sadly, they use plastic for the most critical parts, like the hidden little piece you never see that takes all the stress when you step on the can pedal to open the lid. If they made these parts of metal, their cans would last a long time, but they don't.

I bought this can and the little plastic piece broke, and I got a replacement, and now the can is broken again. This is my second "simple human" can. The first one (a different design but featuring the "plastic where metal should be" feature) is long gone since I threw it out.

So, being just a "simple human" myself I'd like a simple trash can again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, September 16, 2010
Nice quality trash can. Great silent closing lid. The only thing i do not like is that the lid does not keep in the odors, since there is a gap between the lid and the can. Great for recycling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not dog-proof, November 11, 2012
At first this seemed like a good choice for keeping our dog, a 65+ pound golden retriever, from getting into the garbage. The lid opens smoothly with the pedal, and the lock seemed like it would keep him out of the trash. But over time it's developed two problems. First, the lid began to creak and jerk its way closed instead of falling smoothly like it once did, and second but more importantly, the dog learned to get it open! Twice now we've come home to find chew marks on the edge of the lid, the lid *still locked*, but trash all over the floor. In one case the can had been knocked over, but in the other it was still standing. Needless to say, we're still in the market for a truly dog-proof trash can.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love it BUT it broke!, March 26, 2013
Profound Reviewer (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I love this trash can (and I've never loved one before) but it has two design flaws:

- Major flaw: the inner pieces that make the lid go up are made of plastic and BROKE after 9 months. For a $50 can, that's a short life span. It could have so easily been prevented and I'd have paid the extra $1 to make the pieces metal.

- Minor flaw: it scrapes against the wall. This is explained in detail in other reviews. It's annoying but I live with it. However, I wonder if this flaw doesn't help cause the other one by applying pressure against the lid opening. Too bad Simple Human didn't have me on their product testing team.

Besides that, it looks great (color, shape, metallic details) and I love not having to touch the lid to open it. I don't want a battery powered lid that's just going to break, and I don't want to pay $20 for a replacement part, so I'm going to try to fix it myself with a couple screws or Gorilla Glue. Wish me luck.