Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2010 5:28:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2010 5:34:50 AM PDT
Just wondering if anyone has a way to clean out the leftover food smell from the sealing ring. I had this same issue with a slow cooker and I had to stop using the slow cooker because the smell would infuse in the different recipes I cooked in it. I made a soup which had onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder.

I already washed with dish soap, and soaked overnight with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda and still stinky.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 6:02:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2010 6:02:46 AM PDT
I would love an answer to this post. I made oatmeal overnight and it was inedible this morning because of the smell and taste of casserole spices. I've surfed and can't find any answers so far......

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 6:10:11 AM PDT
I ended up ordering another ring off of Amazon to use for mild flavored dishes. I put the other one outside to sit in the sun for a few days and that seemed to help. I have read that wrapping in newspaper can help get rid of the odor. I am going to try that as soon as I get my hands on a paper. In the meantime, I marked the stinky one with a sharpie to use on curry dishes only.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 1:26:47 PM PST
xtaski says:
Is this plastic (silicone) sealing ring supposed to be removed and washed after each use?

Also can anyone suggest how to cook brown jasmine rice in this thing? I used the recipe in the manual and cooked 1 cup rice in 3 cups water (MISTAKE) for 20 minutes. Upon opening a had a bowl of soggy overcooked rice. If the pot roast I cooked last night would not have been excellent it would have gone back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011 9:21:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2011 9:24:25 PM PDT
D. Neilson says:
Drive There,

For cooking rice (never has failed me): 1-1/2 cups water for the FIRST cup of rice - 3/4 cup of water for each additional cup thereafter. (Eg: 2 cups of rice = 2-1/4 cup water) Rinse rice using your fingers and drain. Add rice and water to pot...add a tsp of oil or so to control foam (idea from Lorna Sass). Set Cuisinart Electric cooker: High pressure 9 minutes. Natural release. Give the rice a toss with a rubber spatula, keep it on warm. Works everytime. Got this recipe from Donna Hay. Dolores

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 9:06:20 PM PDT
I've had this pressure cooker for over 3 and a half years now. I always take the lid and sealing ring off and put it in the dishwasher. Yes, sometimes smells do linger, but for those I soak it in some hot water and a tablespoon of baking soda. That usually gets rid of the odors. But, I agree with Jennifer Taber, and the parts are not expensive. I own two pots, two lids and two sealing rings. I use it that much and parts are always in the dishwasher. I also make Chili from scratch, making the beans first, then cooking the meat and vegetables. Makes it easier to have a second pot. Also, when cleaning the pot, make sure to clean all around the rim of the cover. Otherwise, the sealing ring doesn't make good contact and won't seal and come up to pressure.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 4:49:11 PM PDT
Finally! Someone addresses the smelly seal ring! Love my EPC, hate the smell that permiates the house when I am using the EPC. We mainly cook chicken in the EPC. The ring smell is so bad, I actually gag and have to leave the room. Tried airing it out in the garage, tried dishwasher, tried soaping it down...NOTHING works. The smell is horrible. Not usually, but sometimes it infuses into the chicken and we have to throw it out and have salad for dinner instead. So glad I found this discussion. I'm going to try the newspaper wrap idea. Thanks again, posters. This was awesome!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2012

Search Customer Discussions