Can this be used on a smooth-top electric stove? Has anyone tried using this on a smooth-top electric stove?
asked by L. Mangrum on February 18, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
Yes you can use on an electric stove.... I have used cast iron for years on an electric stove and have no problems. You just have to heat it up slowly don't turn the stove on high and place the cookware on. Cast iron must be heated slowly, as it heats you can increase the temperature and its fine. Its the same concept as never putting a hot cast iron skillet in cold water. Drastic changes in temperature can cause it to seize up. It may take an extra step or two but nothing beats the results!!!
J. Mullins answered on December 5, 2010

A
vote
I use it on my 15 yr old smooth top electric stove and have had zero problems.
ice answered on January 23, 2013

A
votes
You need to check the owner's manual on your stove. For my GE smooth-top electric stove it says:
Cast Iron - not recommended, unless designed specifically for glass cooktops, poor conductivity and slow to absorb heat, will scratch the cooktop surface.
Porcelain Enamel on Cast Iron: recommend if bottom of pan is coated.
David Crest answered on November 12, 2012

A
votes
I have always been told never to use cast iron on electric stoves but don't know if thats also true for the smooth-top. I have alot of cast iron and ruined one grill on our electric stove it cracked it. So we changed it out and put a gas stove in so I can use all my cast iron and didn't like electric stove anyway. If it were me I wouldn't use it on electric (one cracked grill is enough for me.)
R. Cooper answered on February 20, 2008
‹ Previous   1   Next ›