Would someone comment on USB hard drive capabilties of this router? Can a usb hard drive be used as a network drive? Is it easy to set up?
asked by Chris H. on February 16, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
Yes, you can use a thumb drive or a hard drive on the router as a network drive Follow the instructions in the setup and you will have it up and running in no time. You can assign read only or read write to the drive as well as password access.

You can find more detailed information on the manufacturers website.

Hope this helps.
Ralph Furlong answered on February 17, 2013
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Simple and straight forward setup. Everything is in the router's settings page.
There is a section for USB settings, you select how you want the USB port configured (In your case it would be "storage sharing"). When you select that, the options will appear to start the service and name it etc.
If you make any changes after you've been using it, you will need to reboot the router.
But it's very simple to setup.. takes less than 2 mins.
Puff answered on February 17, 2013
Comments (2) | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
BE CAREFUL! this router DOES NOT support 3T hard drives, since it only works with MBR partitions, and HDs with over 2T are GPT. Im having this problem with my WD 3T external HD, and im trying to contact TP, to see if there is any alternative to partitioning MBR (id loose about 1T of disk space thus transforming a 3T HD into 2T)
Hope this helps
Quico answered on February 23, 2013
Comments (3) | 13 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Seems to be limited to USB2.0. Also as someone already noticed it doesn't seem to support large external drives. I wasn't able to get either of my 3TB drives to work. All usb thumbdrives worked though.
Dave Angel answered on May 21, 2013
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I didn't find these answers or the setup instructions helpful. Yes, you set the settings to share and add the files. But that did nothing until I added FTP server. Then my problem was getting my laptop to find it. The key in Win7 was to Add Network Drive but then tell Windows it's an alternative connection method "such as FTP" and then add FTP:tplinklogin.net and then use admin as login and admin as password. Then I could read and write to it.
Crimsoncascade answered on July 28, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, in the back of this router there's a USB jax, I haven't used this router for that purpose, butvi have purchased this router and hooked it up to my wireless systems, setup is a breeze, it just requires you to first use your computer to enter a start-up disc, then a how to menu will show the rest....
Bigblu49 answered on February 17, 2013
Comment | 1 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›