Can someone tell me what this movie is about?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2010 1:28:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2010 1:44:35 PM PST
Can someone tell me what this movie is about? What is the story line or meaning?

So it is about Ponyo, liking Sousuke for no reason at all and are they supposed to be together forever?

It is about merely meeting and then Sousuke's mom went to the work place and they ride a boat to her mom's place?

Or the "lost" that makes us feel it is precious that Ponyo became a small fish and she being able to become human again is precious? That theme appeared in Totoro (loss of little sister), and Spirited Away (loss of parents).

And... what is the story? At least Snow White has a story... this one, I felt the more I watched, the more I am lost what the movie is about.

(also, why does the goddess wear lipstick and eye shadow? what brand of cosmetics does she use? why does a goddess need to look any different from what she really is?)

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 11:31:49 AM PST
G. Cody says:
If you've ever seen Kiki's Delivery Service, the plot and story behave very similarly to Ponyo. It's a bizarre method of using the "slice of life" plot mechanic, in which impossible or magical things happen with a degree of regularity or expectation. Nobody seems to question much that Kiki is a witch or that Ponyo is a fish. These things are simply part of the world they live in, and the plot never seems to revolve around the spectacle of these supernatural happenings. Granted, Ponyo isn't much of a "day in the life" of Sousuke, as his entire island is engulfed in a huge tsunami and the very world is on the brink of natural disaster. Much of that is the background noise to the plot, however, and successfully conveys the feeling of seeing the world through the eyes of a 5 year old. Everything is big, your chief concerns are that of your family and the little events of your day and making new friends that you enjoy playing with. The repercussions of their actions do not even occur to them; It is the perfect portrayal of innocence.

So in the end, there was a conflict ro resolve, it was just not the chief element of the story or the plot. The idea was to convey true and innocent love in the young and how that purity is protected by their caregivers, be they human or ocean goddess.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions